DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Stunning Arches in Moab Utah! and NOT in the Arches National Park, Corona, Bowtie & Pinto!

Karlewski

Reactions
This hiking adventure was a major surprise, just a few minutes outside of Moab down the Colorado River on Potash road we found a treasure trove of arches and they were Enormous & Beautiful, the access was pretty easy too! This whole deal took less than 1/2 a day so, after this hike we were hungry for more. We raced, literally ran up, nearby Gold Bar Arch trail for yet another incredible experience! This one being at sunset! That's coming soon. Enjoy Guys! The 2 "pothole arches" were much harder to fly than anticipated.

This hiking adventure was a major surprise, just a few minutes outside of Moab down the Colorado River on Potash road we found a treasure trove of arches and they were Enormous & Beautiful, the access was pretty easy too! This whole deal took less than 1/2 a day so, after this hike we were hungry for more. We raced, literally ran up, nearby Gold Bar Arch trail for yet another incredible experience! This one being at sunset! That's coming soon. Enjoy Guys! The 2 "pothole arches" were much harder to fly than anticipated.
Hi Karl,
woooooow, the landscape and the many amazing arches are just stunning Karl! The flights through the arches also look great. Fantastic what you have shown us, thanks for that! 👍
That would be a tour that maybe I could do, but unfortunately I live way too far away! 😥
I'm already looking forward to your next video!

bye and continue to have fun with your adventures
your friend Paul

Reactions: Hauptmann
I need to add this location to my bucket list. Sounds like the trailhead is easy to find? Wonderful video of an amazing place. Thx.

Last edited:
I loved seeing your video. I have been to Arches NM and Moab a few times but somehow missed Corona and near by arches.

So Karl, just for the record, I can go there and fly my drone legally???

As usual, amazing and wonderful video.

Dale
Miami

Dale
Miami
A lot of that area is on BLM land -which would be open for this as long as it’s not wilderness area. There is private land off of Potash road as well.

Dale
Miami

@Dale D, I was wondering the same thing. According to B4YouFly, those arches are in the clear for drone operations. They're well outside the national Park

1676745837064.png

@Dale D, I was wondering the same thing. According to B4YouFly, those arches are in the clear for drone operations. They're well outside the national Park

View attachment 160795
Google maps concurs that this is not in the national park so drones would not be illegal In my opinion. Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 1.48.50 PM.png

All my research said this is a legal place to fly, using this maphttps://umontana.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=a415bca07f0a4bee9f0e894b0db5c3b6 shows you wilderness areas, another BIG No No. When I got there I was greeted by someone else's Mini 3. Thought it was a distant airplane till I realized it was hovering. . It was hard to even notice over the murmur of the people enjoying the scene. That said, I would be extremely careful flying here, just as the thrill seekers swinging from that arch got it closed to all climbers when someone died trying too hard to get real real extreme, I bet the same thing will end up happening with a drone. Hitting an arch and crashing onto someone on a crowded day could easily happen too! Keep that in mind at all times and do not fly directly over anyone, those are basically the rules anyway. . .
Corona was easy to fly, the pot hole arches were tough. First thing, set your return home HIGH 350ft min. and Then walk into the arch and fly the drone up through it maintaining line of sight and back down the way you came, out and back. I did do a couple where I flew up through and had my spotter watching from outside as I quickly flew over the arch bridge after flying up well past the top. . . Those arches are not vertical so just pushing up on the right stick will not get you through, active piloting required. I kept obstacle avoidance on too and that complicated things a bit but I think worth it so I could see real time proximity front and back. Doing that, orientation is important, obstacle avoidance can move the drone sideways into an obstacle in its blind spot, Make Sure you have side to side clearance visually!
That all said, with caution, this is an amazing place to fly and visit, Paul you could do it, just taking slow and having someone like me around. . . The guy with the baby was worried about going back down the stairs with Baby, I explained how he could slowly move down the stairs facing the rock and having his wife below him making sure his foot hit the next foot hold. The steps were just small carved out sections of rock fitting the front 1/2 of your foot. I was going to offer to just grab baby and take care it him. . . lol but I doubted that was a real option! Glad you all enjoyed, fly safe and get ready for another REALLY COOL arch adventure next week!
Cheers Brothers! Karl

What was the month that you were there? (I see the light winter wear) I haven't finished watching it yet and wanted to thank you for showing us a legal way to get some "allowed" arches. I don't know if I'll ever get back out there. I spend all my time here in New England. I hate it when people show outstanding video (in your case I would term it cinematography) and then it looks like they illegally flew in an NP or wilderness zone.
Those dolly moves caught my attention and I will have to see if I can figure those out (upgrading from a mini2 to Mavic 3 in a month or two... Stay safe and keep up the good work. (new subscriber)

It was a nice February day, we had had unusual crazy cold with moisture this season but there have been nice small windows of weather.
To get a nice dolly shot simple level/reset your gimbal, center your subject and fly straight back then do the same flying straight back again , then edit the clips so you are zooming in while backing out and Visa Versa. . . . There are more complex ways as well but they are tough to get right, I always end up being happiest with the advice above. . .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne