DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are fly-aways a legitimate concern?

FifeFlyer

Reactions
I've just taken delivery of my mavic fly-more bundle and I've been scouring forums for hints and tips and I've become increasingly worried about fly-aways.

Is there any reason to be?

Nope. Turn off obstacle avoidance and make sure to have healthy GPS strength and you're good.

Reactions: Drone Police
Very unlikely, also being able to take precautions assumes we know the cause, in which case the problem wouldn't exist.

I've seen a few 'fly away' videos on youtube and it's mostly operator error.

To give one example some guy smashed into the side of his building after taking off from the balcony - was pretty obvious the reason he crashed was flying LoS with the drone facing him, and not having a clue what he was doing. Claimed in the video 'the drone just did it itself'. No - he panicked and didn't know what to do, so just kept telling it to go into the building.

Nope. Turn off obstacle avoidance and make sure to have healthy GPS strength and you're good.
I think it might not be a good idea to tell new pilots to turn off obstacle avoidance. If you are recommending it because of the problem of Return to Home into a low sun, I don't think that qualifies as a "fly-away". If there is another reason, please educate me.

And no, lots more to worry about than fly-aways.

Reactions: dewster and devGOD
But new pilots are better off well away from obstacles, OA only works with things to the front, it can also result in panicy moments at close range when "it does things on its own" or "won't respond to sticks"

Reactions: halley and larkin
But new pilots are better off well away from obstacles, OA only works with things to the front, it can also result in panicy moments at close range when "it does things on its own" or "won't respond to sticks"

I agree with your first sentence. Altitude is your friend. But, to me, the OA doing its job and causing pilot panic is not a "fly-away", its inexperience and there is only one cure for that.

This.

New pilots think they are safe flying indoors because they have OA but nothing can be further from the truth. There are a few million ways to crash the Mav with OA on and the #1 thing to protect you from most of them is to fly in a wide open outdoor area. And, yes, I stand by suggesting OA be turned off, even for beginners. You shouldn't be flying where there are obstacles anyway. And if a gust of wind comes you won't have to worry about OA limiting your drone's ability to fight against it to maintain a hover.

Reactions: MavicGuy
This.

New pilots think they are safe flying indoors because they have OA but nothing can be further from the truth. There are a few million ways to crash the Mav with OA on and the #1 thing to protect you from most of them is to fly in a wide open outdoor area. And, yes, I stand by suggesting OA be turned off, even for beginners. You shouldn't be flying where there are obstacles anyway. And if a gust of wind comes you won't have to worry about OA limiting your drone's ability to fight against it to maintain a hover.
These are some good suggestions for beginning pilots. The OP asked about "fly aways". I just disagree with equating mistakes by the inexperienced as "fly aways". To me a "fly away" is when the controller is no longer controlling the aircraft and it flies away.

80% of Mavic users will say, what is a fly away.
20% didnt read the manual.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crackhour