DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are LAANC height limits absolute to AGL or do structures still allow heights variability for structures?

JVMV

Reactions
I get Part 107.51b states flying up to 400ft above the topmost part of structures is okay. The thing is I am not sure if that applies to LAANC authorized flights in controlled airspace.

Say for example that I have a LAANC authorization to fly at a max height of 300ft in Class B airspace, is that height absolute to AGL with no variability to structures below the UAV, or does that also allow flying 300ft above structures.

The LAANC clearances I’ve received specify that they are “absolute” AGL and may not be added to the heights of structures.

For example:
[ARM2YP95IZF0 / PDX, 08 Feb 23 18:00 UTC - 08 Feb 23 23:00 UTC, Max Alt 350ft]: In accordance with Title 14 CFR Part 107.41, your operation is authorized within the designated airspace and timeframe constraints. Altitude limits are absolute values above ground level which shall not be added to the height of any structures…(more)

Last edited by a moderator:
And §107.51(b) applies to those with a §107 certification, it does not permit a §44809 pilot to do the same. §44809 restricts pilots to 400’ AGL maximum or the altitude authorized if flying in controlled airspace (via LAANC or FAA Drone Zone).

I get Part 107.51b states flying up to 400ft above the topmost part of structures is okay. The thing is I am not sure if that applies to LAANC authorized flights in controlled airspace.
It doesn't apply to LAANC or any controlled airspace. When you're in a UASFM, the grid height is the maximum you can fly without "further ATC coordination". If you need to apply for higher AGL (it's called a manual LAANC request), you can do so in the LAANC app, but it's not advised.

Best bet is to get to your Drone Zone account and apply for a 107.41 Airspace Authorization.

Say for example that I have a LAANC authorization to fly at a max height of 300ft in Class B airspace, is that height absolute to AGL with no variability to structures below the UAV, or does that also allow flying 300ft above structures
300' max AGL. As above, the UASFM grid limits are absolute unless ATC gives you specific permissionns.

Reactions: JVMV and GFields

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98