DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are our files viewable?

Greetings fellow pilots! Are our photo metadata and XMP files viewable when we post photos on Facebook? Please advise.
They are, unless you strip the EXIF info from them.

I would have thought that when you open a photo in a App like Windows Paint and then do a Save As, all the data is stripped away... Not True?

Last edited:
I would have thought that when you open a photo in a App like Windows Paint and then so a Save As, all the data is stripped away... Not True?
I don't use them so I could not say with any certainty. There are many variables involved. Article here to take note [though things do change]

EDIT: This is not correct. Only a portion of the EXIF data is removed by this process.

The EXIF data stored in a photo file is easily removed. In Windows file explorer, right click the photo file name, select Properties, open the Details tab and click the link to Remove Properties and Personal Information.

This article details the steps for other operating systems.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlienDrone
Thank you for your reply! I see no mention of the XMP files. If I understand correctly, XMP files include information collected by the drone software, such as GPS coordinates. Is this correct, and would that information be available to those who view the photo?

The EXIF data stored in a photo file is easily removed. In Windows file explorer, right click the photo file name, select Properties, open the Details tab and click the link to Remove Properties and Personal Information.

This article details the steps for other operating systems.
Thank you for your reply? What about XMP data, isn't that information recorded by the drone software?

Thank you for your reply! I see no mention of the XMP files. If I understand correctly, XMP files include information collected by the drone software, such as GPS coordinates. Is this correct, and would that information be available to those who view the photo?
XMP metadata is embedded into the JPEG files. XMP metadata may or may not be maintained in an image file when processed and saved with software. It depends on the software. If you want to see the embedded XMP data and whether or not it still exists in a file processed by an image editing tool, use a metadata viewing tool such as Exif Pilot.

Here is an example of the type of XMP metadata saved to an image file taken with a drone:

[XMP] About : DJI Meta Data
[XMP] AbsoluteAltitude : +39.89
[XMP] AlreadyApplied : False
[XMP] CamReverse : undefined
[XMP] CreateDate (1) : 1970:01:01
[XMP] FlightPitchDegree : +1.30
[XMP] FlightRollDegree : +5.20
[XMP] FlightYawDegree : +179.10
[XMP] Format : image/jpg
[XMP] GPSLatitude (1) : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[XMP] GPSLongitude (1) : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[XMP] GimbalPitchDegree : -2.00
[XMP] GimbalReverse : undefined
[XMP] GimbalRollDegree : +0.00
[XMP] GimbalYawDegree : +174.60
[XMP] HasCrop : False
[XMP] HasSettings : False
[XMP] Make (1) : DJI
[XMP] Model (1) : Test_Pro
[XMP] ModifyDate (1) : 1970:01:01
[XMP] RelativeAltitude : +6.10
[XMP] SelfData : undefined
[XMP] Version : 7.0

Okay, thank you!
Not all data is removed, but if you want to strip away everything, try this tool- exiftool

Reactions: AlienDrone
Okay, thank you!

Not all data is removed, but if you want to strip away everything, try this tool- exiftool

Thank you! I will check into this.

Reactions: LoudThunder

Exiftool is awesome, and has been for many, many years. I've had my fingers pretty deep into digital images for decades, and Exiftool has always been - and continues to be - a wonderful tool. HIGHLY recommended for many tasks.

There's a learning curve, but it's not hard to figure out the basics, and it's VERY powerful. And free. And fully supported - personally, by the guy who wrote it!

Unheard of in this age of bloated, corporate crapware. A rare gem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_