DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are the 7.85 CS Ultra-Brights still over heating and blowing out their backlights?

DavidNDC

Reactions
I purchased one soon after they were released, and after less than an hour of use it over heated and blew out it’s backlight rendering it useless. Apparently this was a fairly common problem with the early units. Thankfully I bought it from B&H who were great about taking it back for a full refund.

Is this still an issue? I’m assuming not as you don’t hear too much about it anymore, just want to make sure before I invest in another.

Thanks!

I’ve had to warranty mine 3 times for a failed backlight. But I haven’t had much issues with my 4th unit. It also gets pretty hot, but the backlight holds.

Reactions: DavidNDC
I’ve had to warranty mine 3 times for a failed backlight. But I haven’t had much issues with my 4th unit. It also gets pretty hot, but the backlight holds.

Thanks for the feedback!

I had the overheating problem and black out with one of my first CS UBs, but that was over a year ago and the replacement has not blacked out. It does warn me however that it is getting warm and that I should use it in the shade.

I bought mine about a year after release. I have never had an issue with blow outs, black outs, or over heating. My CSU has worked perfectly.

No problems here either. One question to ask yourself, do you really need the top of the line, or save $300 and still have a 7.85” monitor? I have found that 1000 nits is pretty good.

Bought mine used so I'm not sure how old it is. No problems so far. Previously had a 1000 nit iPad mini and found it unusable in bright sunlight----old eyes (?)

Bought mine used so I'm not sure how old it is. No problems so far. Previously had a 1000 nit iPad mini and found it unusable in bright sunlight----old eyes (?)
Me too! :cool: Added a screen hood for the AZ sunshine.... also functions as a screen protector when folded an placed in my GPC case, so I never remove it.

I bought mine about six months ago. I haven't had any issues with blowouts, blackouts, or overheating. My CSU has worked perfectly.

I really only have 3 complaints with it:

1. Android based (coming from iOS, all I can say is that Android is a far inferior product in virtually every way)
2. Lag (when using my iPad Pro, video transmission is faster and smoother. I'm not sure why, but it's invariably the case.)
3. Last in line for upgrades to the GO 4 app

No problems here either. One question to ask yourself, do you really need the top of the line, or save $300 and still have a 7.85” monitor? I have found that 1000 nits is pretty good.

Heading to the Turks and Caicos islands next week. Double the brightness will definitely come in handy there. But I appreciate the comment.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Sounds like things have in fact improved. I’ll go ahead and try it again. ??

Heading to the Turks and Caicos islands next week. Double the brightness will definitely come in handy there. But I appreciate the comment.
Ahhhhhhh - Drinks with hats... Love it. Enjoy!

I bought mine about six months ago. I haven't had any issues with blowouts, blackouts, or overheating. My CSU has worked perfectly.

I really only have 3 complaints with it:

1. Android based (coming from iOS, all I can say is that Android is a far inferior product in virtually every way)

2. Lag (when using my iPad Pro, video transmission is faster and smoother. I'm not sure why, but it's invariably the case.)
3. Last in line for upgrades to the GO 4 app
Is it because IOS is better or just that DJI's software mavens are more IOS oriented? Also, 5 or 6 years ago when the first Phantom hit the market, Apple was way ahead of Android when it came to hardware components used in their products that would see usage in DJI products---- accelerometers, cameras, magnetometers, etc. So when it came to writing software to access these components, it was IOS rather than Android.

Reactions: Former Member
Is it because IOS is better or just that DJI's software mavens are more IOS oriented?

It's not one or the other -- it's both. iOS is a superior operating system and DJI's software developers take full advantage of that platform superiority. That said, I'm happy we have Waypoints 2.0 for CS now. It's just frustrating beyond words that it's essentially unusable for video given the lack of smoothness in the gimbal while interpolating. Of course this isn't unique to the CS -- the same situation exists with GO 4 on iOS, Litchi, etc. It's definitely a Mavic 2 firmware bug that I'm hoping will one day be fixed.

Reactions: Bobby for a Day!
I dk about the ultralight, I feel the 5in model is better suited for the mavic,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242