DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

7.85 Ultra vs 5.5 Crystalsky (review/some tests) Litchi is working!

struijs

Reactions
I edit this topic frequently. So for updates you have to read it again.

On vacation now with my 2 CS monitors. So time for some serious info.

Bootuptime for the 5.5 is 1 sec quicker that the Ultra 7.85
With opening apps, the 5.5 is a bit quicker also.

Installing some 3rd party APK files works fine.

Testing Litchi on the CS right now:
More info later

DONT KNOW WHY, BUT THE VIDEO IS GONE.

EDIT: That works. So litchi is working on the CS!

The ultra makes really sense here in the bright sun. (Seychelles) The 5.5 is also ok, but the Ultra gives you that extra bite what you need (and payed for).

The 5.5. has a better GPS. I installed a GPS app and the 7.85 needs really a sky above him, while the 5.5 shows GPS "inside" sometimes. Like my iphone. GPS is bad/slow.

What i don't like so much is that if you want to change your RTH point to the place where the RC is, that i often get an error "weak GPS". Does the app use the GPS from the CS or from the RC?

So far i did not had any software (CS) crashes.

The Ultra get REALLY hot sometimes. Fan kicks late in.

Battery life is great for both. Don't know why you get an extra battery with the Ultra. But its nice to have.

Interesting is that i have 2 remotes for my Mavic. That works great. One remote is really the leader, so nice to let somebody else fly the drone with remote 2 and you take care and if necessary control when needed.

I installed on both RC a CS (on remote 2 the 7.85 and on remote 1 the 5.5). You have on both a complete video feed and app on the screen. Remote 2 have some limitations, but you find that on the web somewhere. (like no sports mode and so).

Strange was that i installed the latest firmware via remote 1 and the 7.85 Ultra connected. That went fine. But, after connecting the second RC and the CS 5.5 he said that there was a firmware update for my bird.... But i installed that update the day before with remote 1 and the 7.85 Ultra. Trying to update again with the 5.5 and remote 1 gave me some errors so i stopped it. But all fly's fine.

Why does every set of remote/CS ask for a bird update? The RC update maybe?
EDIT: No, because i did the update the day before also with remote 1. Case still open.... Strange.

Bit off topic. But i almost lost my bird when i was flying over the sea. He was climbing up by itself... So i held stick down. Didn't know that he goes in auto landing then... New to me. Went slowly down from 17 to 4 meter. Stick up or cancel/pause did not work. Panicked en closed the app and reopened quickly. Than he stopped auto landing and i could fly home again and start breathing normal again. Reading the web about this "problem"... Holding stick down opens auto landing....!! No way to pause or cancel. BUT.... And of course you all know, switching to sports mode is the solution to stop auto landing. I found alot of movies on youtube or info from people who had the same problem and lost there bird because they did not know how to recover from autolanding. So guys, SPORTS MODE!!!!!

Last thing. I tried almost every mount. But my final and (for me) the best one is the original DJI mount. The one you place the CS under the controller. No cables, and very sturdy. My absolute favorite! Nice extra, when you switch the RC on, the CS goes on also...

Questions? Please reply!

Happy flying, Peter

Last edited:
Fantastic update mate, thank you!

Sorry, I slightly misunderstood one part.

Were both devices running the same firmware version when you timed the boot up, app start times, etc? Or did you update firmware after these tests?

Fantastic update mate, thank you!

Sorry, I slightly misunderstood one part.

Were both devices running the same firmware version when you timed the boot up, app start times, etc? Or did you update firmware after these tests?

All are up to date. The 7.85 looks really (bit) slower to me. Have to check the processor etc via android system info software.

Keep you posted.

Peter

What i don't like so much is that if you want to change your RTH point to the place where the RC is, that i often get an error "weak GPS". Does the app use the GPS from the CS or from the RC?
The remote controller doesn't include a GPS receiver, position is retrieved from the mobile device connected.

The remote controller doesn't include a GPS receiver, position is retrieved from the mobile device connected.

So than the CS 7.85 is a bad GPS receiver as i thought. Mostly i can not set the RTH to RC position. (On an open beach with blue sky).

Got 9 out of 10 times the "Weak GPS error". Never had this problem with my iphone.

Peter

Last edited:
My CS never gets a signal indoors either.

Does the 5" one have a cooling fan too?

I've reverted my ultra back to the original DJI only configuration and have decided to use on DJI Go4 exclusively, had some issues with Litchi disconnecting and google services changes to the android ecosystem affecting DJI Go4 as well. Not sure what this issue was, but it's safer going with the stock configuration which is working as designed.

I edit this topic frequently. So for updates you have to read it again.

On vacation now with my 2 CS monitors. So time for some serious info.

Bootuptime for the 5.5 is 1 sec quicker that the Ultra 7.85
With opening apps, the 5.5 is a bit quicker also.

Installing some 3rd party APK files works fine.

Testing Litchi on the CS right now:
More info later

EDIT: That works. So litchi is working on the CS!

The ultra makes really sense here in the bright sun. (Seychelles) The 5.5 is also ok, but the Ultra gives you that extra bite what you need (and payed for).

The 5.5. has a better GPS. I installed a GPS app and the 7.85 needs really a sky above him, while the 5.5 shows GPS "inside" sometimes. Like my iphone. GPS is bad/slow.

So far i did not had any software (CS) crashes.

The Ultra get REALLY hot sometimes. Fan kicks late in.

Battery life is great for both. Don't know why you get an extra battery with the Ultra. But its nice to have.

Interesting is that i have 2 remotes for my Mavic. That works great. One remote is really the leader, so nice to let somebody else fly the drone with remote 2 and you take care and if necessary control when needed.

I installed on both RC a CS (on remote 2 the 7.85 and on remote 1 the 5.5). You have on both a complete video feed and app on the screen. Remote 2 have some limitations, but you find that on the web somewhere. (like no sports mode and so).

Strange was that i installed the latest firmware via remote 1 and the 7.85 Ultra connected. That went fine. But, after connecting the second RC and the CS 5.5 he said that there was a firmware update for my bird.... But i installed that update the day before with remote 1 and the 7.85 Ultra. Trying to update again with the 5.5 and remote 1 gave me some errors so i stopped it. But all fly's fine.

Why does every set of remote/CS ask for a bird update? The RC update maybe?
EDIT: No, because i did the update the day before also with remote 1. Case still open.... Strange.

Bit off topic. But i almost lost my bird when i was flying over the sea. He was climbing up by itself... So i held stick down. Didn't know that he goes in auto landing then... New to me. Went slowly down from 17 to 4 meter. Stick up or cancel/pause did not work. Panicked en closed the app and reopened quickly. Than he stopped auto landing and i could fly home again and start breathing normal again. Reading the web about this "problem"... Holding stick down opens auto landing....!! No way to pause or cancel. BUT.... And of course you all know, switching to sports mode is the solution to stop auto landing. I found alot of movies on youtube or info from people who had the same problem and lost there bird because they did not know how to recover from autolanding. So guys, SPORTS MODE!!!!!

Last thing. I tried almost every mount. But my final and (for me) the best one is the original DJI mount. The one you place the CS under the controller. No cables, and very sturdy. My absolute favorite! Nice extra, when you switch the RC on, the CS goes on also...

Questions? Please reply!

Happy flying, Peter
Hi, I somehow can not find the APK links you mention..Please indicate where they are..Many thanks.

Reactions: mavin
Hi, I somehow can not find the APK links you mention..Please indicate where they are..Many thanks.

They are in the more information section when you open the video in youtube

Reactions: struijs
Thank you so much for your tips. I have just ordered a 5.5” CrystalSky and the genuine dji mount plus a phantom 4 charger for the cs. I have a mavic pro and apparently the charger isn’t suitable for the cs.
The “sport mode” tip is an excellent one. I have flown over water a few times and I agree that is an important one to know in a panic situation. The comparison on the mounts pleases me obviously also as I have ordered dji.
Thanks again and happy flying

So the APKs are in the more information section when you open the video in youtube, but the youtube video is not available now.

Yeah, I’ve tried the Amazon version. It is useless on my rig. Runs super slow, looses connection, freezes in flight. I thought maybe the APK version might be better.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000