DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are there any contraindications for inland flights, the kind that 'damage' the drone's navigation system?

cien952

Reactions
Are there any contraindications for inland flights, the kind that 'damage' the drone's navigation system? or just the known ones: lack of satellite positioning capability ?

Are there any contraindications for inland flights, the kind that 'damage' the drone's navigation system? or just the known ones: lack of satellite positioning capability ?
What are you asking about?
There's no such thing as "lack of satellite positioning capability"
All DJI drones are always going to pick up lots more navigation satellites if you fly anywhere in the open with a good sky view.
If you are asking about things to be careful of before launching, the most important would be wind and obstacles.
Don't launch when it's too windy and when it's windy don't send your drone off a great distance downwind.
Flying close to trees, buildings and other obstacles is very risky.
Stay out in the open and it's hard to get into trouble.

...for inland flights...
If you by this mean indoor flights ... you of course will have limited success to lock on to GPS satellites there, what usually then remains is a horizontal stabilization by means of the Visual positioning sensors on the belly of your drone.

Those sensors have certain limitations regarding available light & floor patterns though ... read more about that in your user manual.

If you also lose the stabilization from the VPS sensors all that remains is ATTI mode ... meaning no horizontal stabilization, the drone will drift with what ever is affecting it & it will not break when sticks are released.

Reactions: DougMcC
GPS is totally unaffected by location other than very far north or south. Obviously, it doesn’t work very well or at all inside. The inertial guidance systems have no way of knowing where they are, they just measure changes in velocity. Likewise the barometric altimeter, which does work inside.

The uplink control channel is impacted by strong competing radio signals in the signal bands around 2.5ghz, and 5 ghz. These are more likely to be present around dense populations. In addition, these signals are weakened or blocked by trees, buildings, land ridges etc, often more likely away from the coasts.

same for downlink video imagery, if not a little worse, as the bandwidth required for massive data downloads of the video stresses the downlink more.

Note that the primary navigational position is only from the GPS, which is only affected by the conditions mentioned above. RTH only requires GPS to work, and is largely unaffected by inland locations.

Interference is way worse inland. I can only get about 6,000ft range in my neighborhood.

Wow, who is your eye doctor? I need to visit them to VLOS at 6,000 ft. I'm lucky to VLOS at 1/8 mile as the Air2 becomes just a spec if that. ;);)

What are you asking about?
There's no such thing as "lack of satellite positioning capability"
All DJI drones are always going to pick up lots more navigation satellites if you fly anywhere in the open with a good sky view.
If you are asking about things to be careful of before launching, the most important would be wind and obstacles.
Don't launch when it's too windy and when it's windy don't send your drone off a great distance downwind.
Flying close to trees, buildings and other obstacles is very risky.
Stay out in the open and it's hard to get into trouble.
I don't think you understood the question.

The question is simple, connecting the drone at home (inside the house), can it damage the compass? there are people saying yes. I doubt it, so I ask.

I don't think you understood the question.
No-one did and you left us all guessing for days.
The question is simple, connecting the drone at home (inside the house), can it damage the compass? there are people saying yes. I doubt it, so I ask.
Indoors isn't inland (which means far from the sea).
No flying indoors doesn't damage the compass, but depending on the indoor environment, there could be things that cause the compass to have problems (while it's indoors).
You could also have trouble with GPS reception, depending on the building construction.
And there will always be obstacles nearby.
Flying indoors is not as easy as outdoors and in general, it's not a good thing for inexperienced flyers to be attempting.

No-one did and you left us all guessing for days.

Indoors isn't inland (which means far from the sea).
No flying indoors doesn't damage the compass, but depending on the indoor environment, there could be things that cause the compass to have problems (while it's indoors).
You could also have trouble with GPS reception, depending on the building construction.
And there will always be obstacles nearby.
Flying indoors is not as easy as outdoors and in general, it's not a good thing for inexperienced flyers to be attempting.
Thanks, 'inland" versus "indoor", you're absolutely right, but the google translator sometimes 'invents' and i didn't notice the error. As for the rest, I think you are also right. But it gets to the point of having videos on youtube, teaching how to 'demagnetize' the compass, rubbing a magnet on the drone. Can you believe it?

... it gets to the point of having videos on youtube, teaching how to 'demagnetize' the compass, rubbing a magnet on the drone. Can you believe it?
Don't know anything about the context for those YT videos, but ...

It's true that sometimes components on the drone itself can be permanently magnetized, to the degree that a ordinary compass calibration can't fix it ... this is nearly always connected to where the drone have been stored ... for a longer time. If left for instance on a loudspeaker which contain a large magnet or in the trunk of your car & there together with larger magnetic objects. If this happens it can to different degrees cause problems in later flights.

If this happens the drone needs to be demagnetized to get rid of the problem ... & that is probably what you've seen in those videos you're talking about.

This of course doesn't happen just because you have your drone indoors or fly there ... it's all about leaving the drone in a larger magnetic field for a longer time.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman