DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are there any strobes that will keep the weight under 250g now that the Mini 2 has a few extra grams to play with?

Two Seam

Reactions
I'm looking on Amazon for a strobe and I've seen people recommend Lume Cubes but they look quite a bit heavier than some of the others that are basically an LED on top of a small chip. I've never used or seen a strobe so I don't know if it's even feasible to get one in the ~10g the Mini 2 has to work with to stay under 250g. Any recommendations? Thanks

I'm looking on Amazon for a strobe and I've seen people recommend Lume Cubes but they look quite a bit heavier than some of the others that are basically an LED on top of a small chip. I've never used or seen a strobe so I don't know if it's even feasible to get one in the ~10g the Mini 2 has to work with to stay under 250g. Any recommendations? Thanks
What's the concern about staying below 250 grams?
If it goes over 250g, registration only costs $5 for three years, for as many drones as you own.

Last edited:
Any of the commonly used strobe lights is going to make it exceed 250 grams.
After reading closer at some of the item descriptions, there's one that lists the weight at 6 grams. It's very bare bones but that's fine with me. I'm not sure if it's ok to link directly but it's $29.88 with 4.7 rating on Amazon. I weighed my Mini 2 with battery and SD card on my scale and it was 238g so if it's actually only 6g that would be good.
If it goes over 250g, registration only costs $5 for three years, for all the drones as you own.
Not that big of a deal I guess but every review I watched on the Mini listed it being under 250g as one of the biggest selling points, so it is important to some people.

If it goes over 250g, registration only costs $5 for three years, for all the drones as you own.
@Meta4 you don't say where you're living but there are a lot of countries that have an under 250 gram UAV classification. Some that permits flying without registration and pilot certification and relaxed flying rules. In Canada under 250 grams has one rule, the "Don't do anything stupid rule", basically don't endanger people or aircraft. In my area I can fly almost anywhere as a hobby whereas I couldn't if the mini was over 250g.

What you need to do is first weigh your M2, you will be pleasantly surprised that it is only about 238 grams. Do some shopping, you have a lot of wiggle room.

I just checked again using digital scales...it actually weighs 7 grams.

Reactions: Volatus Drones

Just curious what’s the purpose for a strobe on a drone?

Reactions: ICHOTT
They really help to identify the location of the drone in low light flying. If you fly at dusk, 30 mins before sunset, or dawn 30 mins before sunrise, it is a requirement that your aircraft(drone) has at least 3 miles of visibility. During daylight flight, it helps increase the visibility further than you can see without them.

Meta4, why are you so antagonistic? If someone does not want to register a drone and still be legal; it's their business.
I'm sure it's not the $5.00. And I am sure that people come here for answers to questions not to be called cheap.

Last edited:
Meta4, why are you so antagonistic? If someone does not want to register a drone and still be legal; it's their business.
I'm sure it's not the $5.00. And I am sure that people come her for answers to questions not to be called cheap.
I was simply pointing out how pointless it is to want to add accessories but want to avoid pushing the weight past 250 grams, just to avoid a 5$ fee.
But if it's not about the $5, I can't imagine what the issue might be.

I use these: 3 grams
Look online for Flytron.
About £12.00 I think

There's also a guy who 3D prints mounting accessories. Don't know the weight or if they fit Mini2

JimStrobe.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000