DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are there better APPS?

It that you see issues with Androids that you just don't see with iPhones.
I don't recall having seen a thread or post with anyone saying their Android phone overheated and dimmed drastically, locked up or rebooted... plenty of iPhones though.

edited: The overheat->lockup issue seems to happen to the later, more power-hungry iPhones. My trusty old Galaxy S7 sometimes gets hot, but just keeps on chugging. :)

Last edited:
Amen Brother, I think that's a myth that will never die... kinda like putting a wet device into a sealed plastic bag with rice. My common sense tells me it would dry faster in the open air, with maybe a fan, direct sunlight, or a blow dryer to help it along... and no risk of getting rice dust all over or into the device.
Rice or other desiccants work because they remove the moisture from the air in the sealed bag, allowing any free moisture in the device to evaporate more quickly. In most electronics, a hair dryer just moves moisture around, evaporating off one spot only to condense on another cooler spot, and doesn't remove it as efficiently as desiccation does.

Reactions: JDerrick
I just received my mavic Air 2 yesterday. I had planned to fly today and tomorrow. I could not install the JDI App on my LG Stylo 4.
I was reading in some thread that the LG Stylo 5 accepts the app installation. So I just ordered an LG Stylo 5. Now I have to wait a few days for it to be delivered.
Reading on this thread. I could find no mention of alternate apps for Androids but only for iPhones. It would be great if there was an alternate app that I could download until I get my Stylo 5 delivered. Because I only get every other weekend and only one day at a time off, in between that time.
I would love to fly a little low altitude flight just to see if it works. And on some YouTube video it said you only have 5 days from the time of delivery to make your DJI account set up. I don't even know if I will be able to set up an account in 5 days. Due to not having the correct phone to download and install the app.
I went to every phone dealer in town looking for an affordable solution. I compared the list of DJI compatible phones to their inventories. The cheapest thing I could find was well over $500.
Upon getting home I came to this website looking for advice. I found some so I ordered the LG Stylo 5 from S.T. (Not sure if I'm allowed to divulge my cell carrier on here). I'm just praying the advice I got was right and it works!
I'm loving this forum more and more. Thanks for posting nearly everything a body needs to fly a drone! I would love to hear about any alternative Android apps to fly my air 2!

Rice or other desiccants work because they remove the moisture from the air in the sealed bag, allowing any free moisture in the device to evaporate more quickly. In most electronics, a hair dryer just moves moisture around, evaporating off one spot only to condense on another cooler spot, and doesn't remove it as efficiently as desiccation does.
You have your opinion, I have mine.

Using rice is just about stone age.
To get rid of water, just rinse with alcohol.

Reactions: Emanáku
Using rice is just about stone age.
To get rid of water, just rinse with alcohol.
Some types of alcohol - but alcohol can be too aggressive on some components. Distilled water is often better, followed by controlled drying with dehumidified air. Especially in the case of salt water incursion: you need to get the salts out of the product, and alcohol does a poor job of that.

Getting back to the op's subject. I just downloaded Rainbow for DJI drones from the Play Store. It is working on my phone. I'm about to go take a flight with it. I will divulge by experience soon. Can't wait!

Some types of alcohol - but alcohol can be too aggressive on some components. Distilled water is often better, followed by controlled drying with dehumidified air. Especially in the case of salt water incursion: you need to get the salts out of the product, and alcohol does a poor job of that.
So after you've rinsed with distilled water, you use alcohol to get rid of the water, in minutes rather than days in rice.
But if your drone has been in seawater, there's no point doing any of this.
Just throw it away.

So after you've rinsed with distilled water, you use alcohol to get rid of the water, in minutes rather than days in rice.
But if your drone has been in seawater, there's no point doing any of this.
Just throw it away.
If powered on / crashed into the sea, or dropped into sea water with a charged battery for days, there's a fair chance things are not going to go well in recovery; lol; but it doesn't always have to be a disaster. It's worth trying to save the drone.

As for rice, rice is a last resort - a home brew solution most people will have on hand, and better than nothing - a real desiccant is much much better. Keep in mind the typical home isopropyl has 30% water in it already. So be prepared to find some 99% to use for drying.

The way we cleaned expensive electronics professionally was low pressure soapy water, a clear water rinse, compressed air (with anti-stat nozzles), and an oven circulating desiccated air. Once clean, then we moved to repair and calibration.

Reactions: Emanáku
Getting back to the op's subject. I just downloaded Rainbow for DJI drones from the Play Store. It is working on my phone. I'm about to go take a flight with it. I will divulge by experience soon. Can't wait!
Don't think that work(ed). You have to activate your new drone once with the DJI Fly app. Are you aware you have to download the app from the DJI website?
Curious to hear how this continues :)

Reading on this thread. I could find no mention of alternate apps for Androids but only for iPhones. It would be great if there was an alternate app that I could download until I get my Stylo 5 delivered. Because I only get every other weekend and only one day at a time off, in between that time.
dronelink and Litchi are available for Android. Just Maven not.

Not venting my friend just advising on taking precationary measures on what apps he might want to use.
Hello it's about all of us pilots
I had a similar issue using the Dronelink app in follow me mode. I'm flying a Mavic Mini (1) and have been using Dronelink for the last year or so and have been very pleased with it so far. My first attempt with the follow me mode was a complete fail though, just took off on it's own and crashed into a bush, luckily no harm done, just changed a couple of props. I'll keep using Dronelink and might even try the follow me again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinblueline3