DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you flying in a Fog?

LoudThunder

Part 107 Licensed
Reactions
I know I'm going to be called a "kill-joy" but I am only posting this since I have seen so many videos and photos recently of Drones flying in, over, and through Fog…

Fog on the Ground, Fog in the Valleys, and Fog in the Forrest… And so much more and so many members are remarking how they hope to get great shots like those posted…

The one thing you need to remember is that Fog is a Cloud, make no mistake, it is a cloud, it's just low to the ground and even on the ground.

In the USA, the FAA does not specifically mention Fog, but they say a plenty about Clouds. The FAA's 107.51 Operating limitations for small-unmanned aircraft.

Minimum distance from clouds being no less than 500 feet below a cloud and no less than 2000 feet horizontally from the cloud.

You can try to hedge the rules with, "But I am flying over the Fog…" But that scoffs at the "No less than 2000 feet horizontally from the cloud" clause…

I admit there is an allure to fly into and through the fog, but it does not take much Fog to "bury" your drone and the Fog will also blind any FPV you might be using.

Oh sure, you can always just climb out of the fog and hope you do not hit a tree branch, wire, or cable…

As I wrote earlier, I'm probably going to get hammered as a kill-joy and that's OK as long as your Drone does not hammer someone or something because it got lost in a Fog…

Fly Safe and Fly Smart…

cloud.png

Last edited:
@LoudThunder ,aside from the obvious loss of visibility,between the pilot and the drone ,there are several other reasons ,for not flying directly into fog or mist
and the possible damage that the drone can suffer ,due to the water vapour in the air,that it is flying through ,prop icing, vision sensors being fooled ,and a greatly reduced signal connection between the RC and drone are just a few of the issues, so no i dont think you are a kill joy ,and i think that giving such information on this sort of subject ,is a good thing, as i may save others from possibly damaging their drone, or some other person or property

Clouds and fog are basically wet, so it's not good for the drone if you are flying inside them. On the other hand you need to maintain VLOS, which you can't if there are clouds/fog between you and the drone, it's as simple as that.

That being said, I'd never miss a good pic unless it's raining. If there's fog, and I've flown in that spot before without fog, so In know the orography, cables, trees, and so on, and that fog makes for a good landscape photography, I'll just fly and take the pic.

As listed in the Canadian RPA - Aeronautical Information Manual - AIM 2021-2022

"3.2.22.7
Fog Do not operate an RPAS in fog if visibility is too poor to maintain proper VLOS with the RPA, even if it is equipped with lights. Fog represents condensed water droplets found at the ground level, or in other words, a low-level cloud. It usually brings precipitation in the form of drizzle and will cause low visibility conditions at ground level. This is of high concern for RPAS operations in VLOS, as direct visual contact will be greatly reduced in fog. Fog is dynamic, thus conditions at takeoff might change during the operation and cause a threat to the RPA, manned aircraft, and the public.

In the U.S., both 44809 (recreational rules) and 107 (non-recreational rules) require the operator to be able to keep the drone in line of sight.

So flying in fog is technically illegal if you can't see the drone. And for 107, with the cloud off-sets, it's also a weather minimum violation.

And as other have mentioned, moisture and electronics don't play nice together.

Just don't do it.

And remember, if you fly in fog under 44809 rules, you are violating VLOS, so you're violating 44809. And since you're violating 44809 rules, that automatically makes the fly fall under 107. And 107 violations carry heavier fines.

Something else to think about.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne