DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you getting the new Moment Anamorphic Lens via Kickstarter? Why or why not?

Are you getting the new Moment Anamorphic Lens via Kickstarter?

• Yes

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 34 89.5%

• Total voters
Eh. Probably not. It's a cool idea but I'm just a hobbyist doing things for fun. I can edit the aspect ratio in post and I usually get the look I want. I'm anxious to see some of the experts here get these lenses and share what they film. Maybe that will change my mind.

Reactions: Bahnfiya and parkgt
Nope, although I'll keep an open mind. 4K is an insane level of detail for viewing on a monitor or typical living room TV setup, so if I did want that format I'll just crop in post and be confident that no one is going to notice in practice. It's not like the lens (filter, really) is going to add resolution, so you could even use a combination of vertical crop and horizontal stretch to achieve the same aspect ratio and get a similar IQ - whatever works best for the given scene.

Also, most personal displays are still geared for 16:9 or there abouts, so unless you are shooting B-roll for cinema movies on the cheap with a Mavic, or maybe are looking to show off an ultra-wide desktop monitor, I'm not even seeing much point in it.

Reactions: Bahnfiya
It's aimed at a specialty market who want something other than 16:9 (normal modern TV) aspect ratio. These "super-widescreen" ratios have been used in theaters since the early 1950s, but are not normally used in home theater setups.

No, I can already do what I need/want to do to my images/videos with what I have in proven equipment and software.

I probably will. I do a lot of landscape stuff and the wider FOV would come in handy for me.

I probably won't I think in time it's going to put to much stress on the gimble

The center compression and quickness to market will be key for me. A beautiful buttery cinematic video basically out of the box will increase productivity and make your vids look amazing. Im stoked!

Anamorphic lens hands down have the best lens flares and generally more cinematographic. Having said that...95% of the public will not see the difference.

A lens is likely to be a lot heavier than a filter.

Despite the (technically accurate) name this is actually more of a filter. It has a dual spherical element, hence a lens, that compresses the horizontal field of view to fit onto the camera's sensor that you then expand to the correct aspect ratio in post. Physically it's still just a piece of glass that mounts to the front of the camera, only curved rather than flat like the more popular CPs and NDs.

Including the clip (it doesn't replace the existing front element) it adds about 50g to the gimbal, which is quite unlikely to cause any lasting harm to the gimbal. That's also about 5g more than most of the CPs out there, although those do replace the existing protective front element.

Reactions: James Callaghan
Thanks for the weight specification (50g).

It has a dual spherical element, hence a lens, that compresses the horizontal field of view to fit onto the camera's sensor that you then expand to the correct aspect ratio in post

Expand, or crop?

Chris

I'd like to play with one first.

I can inject multiple styles of flares in post if I really wanted to, but lens flares are usually unwanted artifacts (in my opinion) and can really screw up an otherwise excellent shot. Once they're in the RAW footage, it's pretty baked in. As far as generating an anamorphic appearance, this can also be created in post with Premiere Pro and After Effects. Cool product, and it should provide a really wide view to work with, but for now, I'm more interested in this team's ND and CP filters and how they compare to polar pros.

Thanks for the weight specification (50g).

Expand, or crop?

Chris

Expand. What it's basically doing is akin to taking a 2.35:1 anamorphic image and compressing it horizontally so that it fits onto the Mavic's sensor, e.g. everything in the captured image will appear thinner than it really is. You then expand the image in post, interpolating in the missing pixels, to get an output resolution of 5076x2160 rather than the 4096*2160 of 4k widescreen.

Why would it do that?
If you look at the weight and it's pulling down on your gimble and your gimble goes up and down.For example hold a 2lbs weight in your hand know hold your arm straight out let me know how you feel in 25.30 mins know replace your battery and so on but I could be wrong like my post said only time will, tell.....

Including the clip (it doesn't replace the existing front element) it adds about 50g to the gimbal, which is quite unlikely to cause any lasting harm to the gimbal. That's also about 5g more than most of the CPs out there, although those do replace the existing protective front element.
50 grams ?? Wow, that is heavy!!

I just pulled out one of my Ultimaxx ND filters and, on a very accurate gram scale, it measures 5.27 grams. So, this anamorphic lens is almost ten times heavier. I have no idea as to what weight the gimbal can manage, nor could I find the weight of the Hasselblad camera itself, to know what percentage 50 grams would be of the camera's weight.

However, given how much heavier this lens/filter is compared to typical ND filters, I think the questions about its affect on the gimbal's performance have considerable merit.

Kickstarter, and all those other crowd funding sites are crap. It's just low life lazy people asking for free money. Free handouts.

Work for your money people!! xxxxxx! Stupid idiots trying to get something for nothing. Making out better begging for free money than most of us make it a year. Or in 10 years sometimes. It's f'ed up!

Don't give money to people on Kickstarter, etc. Let them take a loan out or work (yes, I said work!) for their own capital.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun