DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you getting the new Moment Anamorphic Lens via Kickstarter? Why or why not?

Are you getting the new Moment Anamorphic Lens via Kickstarter?

• Yes

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 34 89.5%

• Total voters
Kickstarter, and all those other crowd funding sites are crap. It's just low life lazy people asking for free money. Free handouts.

Work for your money people!! xxxxxx! Stupid idiots trying to get something for nothing. Making out better begging for free money than most of us make it a year. Or in 10 years sometimes. It's f'ed up!

Don't give money to people on Kickstarter, etc. Let them take a loan out or work (yes, I said work!) for their own capital.
That's really harsh, and seems to be based on a very poor understanding of how startups work, including how they worked prior to "crowd funding" sites like Kickstarter.

Various statistics suggest that about 2/3 of Kickstarter ventures fail. I founded or ran three startups and then spent the decade of the 90s as a "startup consultant." The success rate back them was pretty much the same as what is quoted for Kickstarter.

As for taking out a loan or accumulating all the capital they need prior to starting or growing the business, that indicates a total lack of understanding of how a startup works. Unless you happen to already have a few million in the bank, no commercial bank, and no rich person is going to give you a loan, even if you pledge your house and everything else you own as collateral. Most of these entrepreneurs don't even have a home yet, and therefore have no collateral.

As for using your own money, most people don't have enough money to hire even 2-3 employees at $100,000+ per year, which is what startup talent costs (at a minimum). How many people have half a million in the bank that they can put at risk and, for those that do, how long did it take them to accumulate that? If you can save 20%/year from a $120,000 salary ($24,000), it will take almost twenty years to accumulate that much.

I spent my ten years helping Internet startups get money. Virtually none of them were candidates for venture funding because the VCs expect a 70% annualized rate of return and expect a liquidity event (IPO or acquisition) within five years. Not many businesses can produce that. Instead, prior to crowd funding, most of these 2-5 person startups I dealt with were able to get money through doing contract work on the side where, if they played their cards right, they could get a large company to pay for developing something for that company, while retaining the rights to the underlying technology to be used for the company's main project. Retaining the rights was the tricky part of the negotiation, but it usually worked because the big company wanted the technology really quickly which a startup can do whereas the big company cannot.

There are dozens of other ways, prior to Kickstarter, to raise money, but doing it from your own pocket, or taking out a loan simply are not viable solutions.

So, it is extremely wrong to characterize these people as lazy slobs. That's simply not what is happening.

Don't give money to people on Kickstarter, etc. Let them take a loan out or work (yes, I said work!) for their own capital.
While I agree for first time entrepreneurs, Moment has a proven track record. Also, isn't it a smart way to understand market demand? I assume the smart ones understand how many units they need to sell based on their operating/manufacturing costs vs profit goals and that is where they set their minimum amount in order to fund the project. While it is certainly risky - due diligence on the funders part is vastly overlooked but I wouldn't put that on Kickstarter.

Personally, I've convinced myself due to the more information horizontally it can obtain (been going the black bars route in Premier) as I mostly shoot landscapes. I realize I won't be able to produce the slide in as the video I linked to shows but that's a trade off I'm willing to compromise on in order to get a wider FOV. I am hopeful I won't hate the flares but since it's 1/3 off retail, I could always sell it for $100 bucks off retail and still come away even.

Kickstarter, and all those other crowd funding sites are crap. It's just low life lazy people asking for free money. Free handouts.

Work for your money people!! xxxxxx! Stupid idiots trying to get something for nothing. Making out better begging for free money than most of us make it a year. Or in 10 years sometimes. It's f'ed up!

I've backed over 100 projects on Kickstarter. One has folded, one is extremely delayed and might fold, the rest delivered what was promised or more.

I've backed over 100 projects on Kickstarter. One has folded, one is extremely delayed and might fold, the rest delivered what was promised or more.
Not sure you will get a response , this has been dead over 4 months . :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr James