DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are You Putting Off Buying A Drone Til The DJI v Congress Issues Are Settled?

Or should the waiters and see-ers be quickly buying them up instead? While Congress can certainly do/change anything, it appears their current direction is only to try ban future sales from Chinese companies.

Source:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And if you're in the camp that doesn't want DJI to be banned, you should go here and send an email to your local lawmakers. They aren't going to be scouring the Internet forums to gauge the voice of the people, so consider making your voice heard today.
I actually wrote to Marco Rubio and Rick Scott. my Senators in Florida, and to my Representative. I received from letters back in return from all three, but not specific to drones, but stating they had received my letter.

This does not give me much hope.

Dale

I actually wrote to Marco Rubio and Rick Scott. my Senators in Florida, and to my Representative. I received from letters back in return from all three, but not specific to drones, but stating they had received my letter.

Dale
I wrote to mine here in NY and all that happened was Gillibrand added my email address to her newsletter without asking if I wanted to subscribe :( Sadly, I agree, not much will come from us trying to voice our opinion.

I wrote to mine here in NY and all that happened was Gillibrand added my email address to her newsletter without asking if I wanted to subscribe :( Sadly, I agree, not much will come from us trying to voice our opinion.
Excuse typo mispelling- FORM letter back

I wrote both of my US Representatives (Idaho) and got one response that the most concerning thing is that DJI - and therefore the China Government - has access to FCC airwaves and that the drone data is not the real concern...
It has to be rough as a congressional representative when you are told that you are supporting a bill and you have no idea why.

It has to be rough as a congressional representative when you are told that you are supporting a bill and you have no idea why.
Many of them has a handful of aids and staff that do most of the work and if you have a trusted staffer, you pretty much know what you can agree to and what you shouldn't agree to. Honestly, the congressperson doesn't *have* to know. And I agree with that part since we elect legislators, not specifically scientists, farmers, doctors, etc. Unfortunately, money talks and other influencers override the thinking which I think you'll have this happen even if the congressperson is the "expert."

Dale
Yeah, I don't want to be negative here, but a lot of this action does not make much impact. But I would not lose hope.

I worked on the hill as an LC and LA (legislative correspondent and legislative assistant). So much of the process is automated so letters and emails get the canned response that you received. The staff (more likely interns) do track and tally the issue and enter it into a constituent/CRM database. If it is extremely hot, then the issue will get in front of the subject matter expert in the office and some messaging will be approved by the Comms Director to address it and start responding accordingly.

All of this allows the member of Congress , Legislative Director and Chief of Staff to understand how their constituents feel and could perhaps impact their stance if they think its worth it. But more than ever looks like these folks only care about special interests, trump/biden drama and reelection lol

Reactions: KAOS Imagery
As a Canadian I'm watching this with great interest. Obviously the rules and attitudes here are different, no remote ID, and no discussion of any bans (yet) and although I have no interest in adding to my fleet, I would hate to see the American issues come here and ground it. Fingers crossed for us all....

I'm just not seeing DJI just rolling over and taking it. ...and how would the FAA ground just DJI drones?

I wrote both of my US Representatives (Idaho) and got one response that the most concerning thing is that DJI - and therefore the China Government - has access to FCC airwaves and that the drone data is not the real concern...
That's a new one.

Can you forward the email you received. I'd like to see just what their concerns are.

[email protected].

Reactions: anotherlab
Don't wait.

If they Senate adds the Countering CCP Drone Act language to their version of the National Defense Authorization Act, at worst, the FCC will no longer approve any FCC licenses for DJI gear. While there is nothing that prevents the FCC from revoking current DJI FCC licenses, it's highly unlikely.
I just wonder what good the ban is then? If they don't stop the current drones from being used, and if the Chinese are spying on us with the current drones, how does the ban help?

I think the main legislation I saw would gradually add a higher and higher tariff. So it you want a drone, waiting may simply cost you a lot more. I wouldn't run and buy one because you're afraid the cost will go up, but at the same time if you want one, I wouldn't wait. Will, at least not past Amazon sale day in July for a good price and DJI usually does a sale around then too.

I think the main legislation I saw would gradually add a higher and higher tariff. So it you want a drone, waiting may simply cost you a lot more.
It sounds like you might be referring to the Drones for First Responders (DFT) Act -- which would impose new import taxes on the most popular drones in America and by 2030 would ban any drone manufactured in China.

The Countering CCP Drones Act is the one you don't want to wait around for as it would block new DJI products from entering the United States market and could revoke FCC authorizations from existing drones.

The Countering CCP Drones Act is the one you don't want to wait around for as it would block new DJI products from entering the United States market and could revoke FCC authorizations from existing drones.
well so far, when anybody here wonders if it's possible existing drones could be grounded, they get told they are being hysterical because it just won't happen

personally, I don't think it will happen, at least not immediately, but it's not wise to underestimate the reactionary lunacy of Congress in an election year

well so far, when anybody here wonders if it's possible existing drones could be grounded, they get told they are being hysterical because it just won't happen
Not only will it not happen ... it can't happen.
Despite all the dystopian imaginings we've heard from, there's nothing the government can do to stop existing drones from working.
And apart from that, there's nothing in the proposed bills that even hints at it.

Not only will it not happen ... it can't happen.
Despite all the dystopian imaginings we've heard from, there's nothing the government can do to stop existing drones from working.
And apart from that, there's nothing in the proposed bills that even hints at it.
You may be right, I may be crazy, but what if:

- Congress tells the FAA to put up a permanent TFR banning DJI drones from flying anywhere in the USA or its territories? Say with a minimum fine of $100K per violation.

- Congress or certain regulatory/executive agencies tell DJI if they want to sell their other products in the USA they have to set their territory restrictions so that no flights may operate in the USA? We already know they can keep a drone from operating in geo fenced areas.

- Congress or certain regulatory/executive agencies tell Apple & Google that they must make firmware changes to their phones and tablets so they cannot not run the DJI apps that control drones?

Before you dismiss those possibilities, it is clear that over the past several years, the US government has been meddling in private business activities to get what it wants.

While I ageee that it is more likely than not that existing drones will work at least until they need parts, I would not agree that the government categorically cannot essentially brick them. Time will tell, but Congress has been BSC and shows no signs of returning to sanity.

- Congress or certain regulatory/executive agencies tell Apple & Google that they must make firmware changes to their phones and tablets so they cannot not run the DJI apps that control drones?
If you are using one of the DJI RC controllers then Apple or Google can't do that.

You may be right, I may be crazy, but what if:

- Congress tells the FAA to put up a permanent TFR banning DJI drones from flying anywhere in the USA or its territories? Say with a minimum fine of $100K per violation.

- Congress or certain regulatory/executive agencies tell DJI if they want to sell their other products in the USA they have to set their territory restrictions so that no flights may operate in the USA? We already know they can keep a drone from operating in geo fenced areas.

Sure, it would possible to stop them (technically or through policing), but it's not probable since it would create a lot of extra work for many organizations (who all are probably already overworked).

It's one of those cases where the climb probably isn't worth the view. Anything is a possibility though.

personally, I don't think it will happen, at least not immediately, but it's not wise to underestimate the reactionary lunacy of Congress in an election year
... or in any year :D

I just wonder what good the ban is then? If they don't stop the current drones from being used, and if the Chinese are spying on us with the current drones, how does the ban help?
Nothing is stopping anything from being used. Currently.

The "ban" has never been about security. It's a political ploy being used by one of the politicians on a presumptive VP list for one of the folks running for President. She needs to rise above the crown, and this is the subject she'd decided to hand her hat on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erintse