DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Artificial light in raw photo

harry.ho

Reactions
I just got my mavic a week ago, today tried to shoot photo at night and found that a lot of artifacial lights in the photo (at the darkest parts).
I tried to eliminate the cause, and it comes to RAW file. It happens only when i choose raw.
Dots are in same location for each of every raw photo.
Tried to use dji dng cleaner- no help, open in lightroom, photoshop cc - no help neither :(
This is the original photo:
Dropbox - DJI photo
Has this happened to anyone and if so what is the cause? Thanks for help.

Last edited:
Your Dropbox isn't allowing access to your photo and I'm not about to send you my personal email address to ask for permission as it wants me to.

Upload the photo here or move on.

Thanks for getting access worked out. Looks like the images with the .DNG extentions are actually JPG preview images. You would have to upload a 20+ Mb DNG file for anyone to see what you are referring to.

Hi, if you zoom in the DNG raw file u can see a lot of light dots which not appear in JPG file with same ISO and shutter speed.
This is example snapshot when i zoom in the DNG file:
Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 06.41.14.png

Looks like bad camera pixels, especially if they are always in the same place.

Not really all that uncommon on hand-held cameras. You can ask DJI about it but be prepared for them to give you a threshold i.e. must be some %age of pixels bad before they will act on it. But it's worth a try.

Reactions: Brojon
Looks like bad camera pixels, especially if they are always in the same place.

Not really all that uncommon on hand-held cameras. You can ask DJI about it but be prepared for them to give you a threshold i.e. must be some %age of pixels bad before they will act on it. But it's worth a try.
thanks, i posted in dji forum as well, engineer is looking into it. not sure what is the outcome, but definitely we dont pay thousand of dollars for defective like this :mad:

Yep - "stuck" pixels. There used to be an online service that could verify stuck pixels. Not sure about DNG files tho since they are essentially a TIF "wrapper" around the actual raw data. Anyway, it's not all that uncommon and since they are at the edges they likely won't fix it.

Hot Pixels

Yep bad pixels. Depending on the company's tolerances for this is whether they'll care. On high end cameras like my Nikon D5 this is not acceptable, but contact DJI and see what they say.

Standard hot pixels. All CMOS/CCD camera sensors will exhibit them. The lower quality camera and sensor (and the warmer it gets) the worse its likely to be. The JPG doesn't show them because in the processing from RAW to make a JPG it removes them. LR/PS will do similar to the DNG.
You bought a cheap end camera drone with a low quality camera, i cant see DJI fixing something that isn't faulty. You're expecting too much for the budget unfortunately. Luckily its not an issue as any post processing software will remove it automatically.
Even high end DSLRs will have some hot pixels (generally only noticeable under low light conditions). Thats one of the reasons we shoot dark frames for astrophotography work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skydiver75thgrp