DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

As a 107 holder, would you accept this drone job contract?

Thinking outside the box...what happens from a legal perspective if you tether the drone to the ground?
Doesn’t matter ... still needs a waiver. It’s silly considering the low altitude you’ll likely be flying but needed nonetheless.

1. Rent a plane and instructor for an hour. (should be < $150)
2. Get a really good zoom lens
3. take the aerials from the plane...you can legally fly 500' AGL
A commercial pilot could legally do it, and that would work in daylight, but keep in mind it’s a night shot. Even my 300mm f/2.8 and D750 won’t be stable enough. I’d need a heli, but it’s too expensive.

Reactions: TampaTC
My first question would be how big is the parking lot and what structures are next to the parking lot. If it just to show what lights are not working (before) and if all the lights are working (after) I can't image a lot of editing would be required.

Reactions: AMann and BigAl07
Check out LAANC. It MAY solve some issues.

LAANC won't help because currently you can't combine a Daylight Waiver and Airspace Waiver in the automated system.

You said exactly what I was thinking. I have shot lighting evaluation photography may years ago. I was up front and told the client I can make the photos have adequate lighting by keeping the shutter open longer. I showed them 5 different shots with just the shutter speed difference. They regrouped and had me shoot each shot 3 times at 3 different speeds. I did get a 10% increase in pay for the shoot for added service.
I would also rent a manlift (like a 40 foot boom lift) that's how I would do my Aerials LOL. Some shots I just went to the roof of a building.
Do you have a P4P or M2P? Low light pictures actually turn out really good with them. If yes, what's your experience with low light using those cameras?

Do you have a P4P or M2P? Low light pictures actually turn out really good with them. If yes, what's your experience with low light using those cameras?

I have a M2P. Experience wise has been mostly twilight shots as I don’t have a daylight waiver yet. I do HDR exposures with it and post processes them in PS and tone map them with Photomatix Pro.

Reactions: BigAl07
I do have a M2P and have taken some low light footage and photos. It works nicely. I have not had to use for work yet just fun. Did this last weekend Screenshot_20190912-213802.png

Reactions: AMann
I'm in San Diego, I'm 107, I have a night waiver and I would be glad to shoot the two sessions for the published price - even with the 80 mile round-trip for each. Twilight would likely be the best time, but night is no problem. The bulk of my work is feature film, TV and mansions in Beverly Hills so this would be an interesting diversion.

I'm in San Diego, I'm 107, I have a night waiver and I would be glad to shoot the two sessions for the published price - even with the 80 mile round-trip for each. Twilight would likely be the best time, but night is no problem. The bulk of my work is feature film, TV and mansions in Beverly Hills so this would be an interesting diversion.

That job is currently listed on Droners.io

Is your night waiver for a specific time period at a specific location or a blanket one? I thought they were only granted on a per location basis.

That job is currently listed on Droners.io

Is your night waiver for a specific time period at a specific location or a blanket one? I thought they were only granted on a per location basis.

For Class G airspace only unless otherwise noted on the waiver.

Are they over a specific date range?

I think mine was for 3 years but I'm not near my flight bag to pull it out and make sure. It's for a long period of time though.

Reactions: AMann and TampaTC
107.29 is allows for flight 24/7 in Class G airspace. As others have stated. They are good up to a 3 year period. I have been in class B airspace 2 time now at 200 foot or less with no problem. Asked for permission 30days out and it was two consecutive nights for 4 hours each night 9pm to 1am. I was told by a birdie if I request in Class B in my local area between 3am and 5am I could fly 0' clearance up to a 400 foot because the commercial flights end at 230am and pick back up at 545am. I think I may do this come around the holidays when I have more time to get out and play.

Reactions: AMann
And it’s only good for G class airspace? Did you apply to use it only for SAR?

No sir I applied for this early on in order to have it in my portfolio in case I was asked to fly.

107.29 is allows for flight 24/7 in Class G airspace. As others have stated. They are good up to a 3 year period. I have been in class B airspace 2 time now at 200 foot or less with no problem. Asked for permission 30days out and it was two consecutive nights for 4 hours each night 9pm to 1am. I was told by a birdie if I request in Class B in my local area between 3am and 5am I could fly 0' clearance up to a 400 foot because the commercial flights end at 230am and pick back up at 545am. I think I may do this come around the holidays when I have more time to get out and play.
@BigAl07

Well, bombs away! I just submitted my application with my supporting document. Thanks for the info guys, I will let you all know how it went.

Reactions: BigAl07
Is the airport on the LAANC list? If not I’d contact the airport ASAP.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d