DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ask neighbors before flying

Always people thinking that airspace is their.....

Well to some extent those people are correct. Your neighbor can't build his house up two stories and then OVER your property line. He has to buy the airspace rights from you to do so.

I think it's a legal argument (personal drones flying over private property) that will need to be settled in the courts eventually. How close is too close.. maybe noise limits.. who knows.

Everyone should read the Supreme Court decision in US v. Causby.

In that case the court said the land owner controlled the air above his property up to 365 feet.

He was mad because military planes were buzzing his livestock.

I've never seen this used against a drone pilot but I'm sure the day is coming.

I've seen scattered news articles as well about various cities (and supposedly the entire state of Oregon, though I read that bill and I didn't see a specific height) enacting their own laws. One might argue those laws aren't allowed but I don't think most people would be willing to pay to put up a fight about it.

Well if we can't fly over peoples homes or land might as well sell the thing.....Or just fly around my living room

Agree..... here it's quite simple:
1- you can fly like you want
Or
2 you fly at max 150m
Or
3 you can't fly

If people are not happy with that.... I don't care

I think the courts already settled that you own the airspace for 365 feet above ground. Although this does contradict with the FAA rules, so I don' know. IANAL.

You are well informed. The Causby case cited earlier resulted in this decision, but the FAA is asserting they control all US airspace, including one inch off the ground.

This is why I mainly fly at night. With the Strobons and "navigation" lights, at 400' my Mavic looks like a plane going by at 4,000'. :)

Also less people are out and about, it's cooler, and I can keep VLOS much, much longer (past 2 miles!).

Nice ! Do you have a video by night ?

Do you mean video shot from the Mavic or a video of what it looks like in the sky? Well it's yes to both.

The Mavic is not anywhere near as good as the P4P at night shots -- but I don't shoot that much video. I just like to fly. :)

Reactions: MrsTreat
Stupid as in?

As in someone stupid enough to commit a felony while someone exercises their legal right to operate a drone in public airspace (even if that public airspace happens to be 200ft above their cow... or their farm animals ;)).

If you want to shoot at my drone: you're stupid... period. And I will do everything I can to make sure that felony not only lands you in as much legal trouble as possible, but also strips away your ability to own guns (because felons, especially one's with a history of firearms abuse, get that "right" liberated from them).

So yeah, even if you don't think they're stupid, I do :cool:.

Agree..... here it's quite simple:
1- you can fly like you want
Or
2 you fly at max 150m
Or
3 you can't fly

If people are not happy with that.... I don't care
The aispace system is set up for real aircraft, not flying toys operated by people who are not certified aircraft pilots. Real aircraft don't have to share the airspace with toy drones, but you surely have to share the airspace with them. Civility, responsibility and consideration is all it takes for us to co-exist. However, when the untrained hobbyist think they own the skies and make their own rules by virtue of a flying toy, that is where the problems begin.

As in someone stupid enough to commit a felony while someone exercises their legal right to operate a drone in public airspace (even if that public airspace happens to be 200ft above their cow... or their farm animals ;)).

If you want to shoot at my drone: you're stupid... period. And I will do everything I can to make sure that felony not only lands you in as much legal trouble as possible, but also strips away your ability to own guns (because felons, especially one's with a history of firearms abuse, get that "right" liberated from them).

I would never shoot a drone out of the sky. Agreed that is stupid and dangerous. What I meant is a drone operator who, even after polite requests, keeps buzzing my private property at a low altitude. If said drone operator came to me first and asked, I really doubt I would have a proble
California, as in many other states, has a statute providing for the "quiet enjoyment" of their home. The constant buzzing and presence of a drone over their home denies a homeowner that right, if they see it that way. While they still do not have a right to destroy your drone,

I would NEVER shoot a drone out of the sky, and that is not what I said. That would be stupid. dangerous and illegal - on that I agree with you. However, if somebody purposefully, spitefully and repeatedly harassed me on my own property with their toy, I would swat the thing down in a heartbeat.

The aispace system is set up for real aircraft, not flying toys operated by people who are not certified aircraft pilots. Real aircraft don't have to share the airspace with toy drones, but you surely have to share the airspace with them. Civility, responsibility and consideration is all it takes for us to co-exist. However, when the untrained hobbyist think they own the skies and make their own rules by virtue of a flying toy, that is where the problems begin.

Just the rules here. Don't say that I own the sky or whatever. But I'm getting tired of stupid people claiming they know the rules but they don't

Do you mean video shot from the Mavic or a video of what it looks like in the sky? Well it's yes to both.

The Mavic is not anywhere near as good as the P4P at night shots -- but I don't shoot that much video. I just like to fly. :)

Yeah both homie !

Where exactly do you live Mavicpilot13?
Go down to West Texas. Exercise said rights with your drone, and use that line when someone shoots at your drone.
Don't ***** out now, you let them know who's who and what's what.

What's that old saying regarding Guns & people Trespassing on Property?

You are well informed. The Causby case cited earlier resulted in this decision, but the FAA is asserting they control all US airspace, including one inch off the ground.

Did you read the case? The case is a 5th Amendment rights case about Government Taking and not about the free use of public airspace. The FAA is correct.

The Government caused a diminution of Causby's property’s value (by killing his chickens and causing him to lose sleep) and he was compensated for it. The case isn't applicable here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaffainNL