DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Asked the Chief of Police

• Thread starter FormerMember06292019_2
  • Start date
Wow. WOW! this thread is so full of privilege it's almost disgusting. so what happens when the police chief says NO; do you not fly that day, do you not come back to that city? who calls the police before they go for a swim or go jogging down the sidewalk ahead of time so if someone calls the police on them for doing something legal, the police can NOT show up or better yet, tell the caller to myob. it doesn't happen that way....for most of us.

if i give you the phone number of a dozen police chiefsthat will tell you not to fly your drone in their city, will you call them so you can get a dose of reality over the telephone? so you can hear the same thing that millions of america hear daily from the police, the park administrators, the complex managers, the grounds crew. the police don't know who they are talking to over the phone so they're not going to make up anything false on the call but when they make contact with you, it will be another story. i think it is incredibly naive to think your phone call makes any difference, has anyone done an open records request to listen to the police tell a 911 caller to settle down? does anyone have a video of the police making contact with a drone flyer and pretending like it all up to the faa?

look, most of us have to live in the real world. when you call the police for permission, it ruins it for everyone else who don't call because the police feel disrespected and then they take the side of the caller and make contact with you and try to enforce the caller's will rather then enforce the laws. of course you are not breaking "drone laws" but you are disturbing the peace, you are engaging in disorderly conduct, you are loitering, you are alarming the public, your actions are suspicion, your violating people's privacy. again, some people can get away with it but some people cannot. do you have so much disdain for your fellow diverse flyers that you take pride in having such a special relationship with local law enforcement that let's you freely engage in activities that others cannot? do you think it's the faa posting all these no drones signs all over the place?

if you call the police and tell them you will be open carrying at the mall tonight, you're still likely to be shot or arrested and most likely trespassed; and that's a right. so tell me this, if the police do make contact with you and said "she was pretty alarmed when you flew over her house, do you mind packing up and leaving for the day?" how would you respond?

this is ridiculous. if the police walk up to you and say i've been parked and watching you fly for the last 5 minutes, bring your drone in so i can run it for the serial number, see if it's been reported stolen and make sure it is registered. what would you do/say? be honest.

if this isn't happening today, it's going to happen tomorrow.

mmmkay..

A while back, I called a police chief’s office to let them know I was doing a local shoot within a mile of their heliport, they were very nice about it and asked if I had an aviation radio to monitor when they’d be flying near the heliport. I did. I also gave them my FAA 107 certificate number, personal phone number and address.

They called back a few weeks later and asked if I could shoot some aerials of their training for them (a volunteer gig) and I said sure!

The local police also did an UAV demo for our school aviation club, and right in the middle of the demo there was an incident near the school and the officer found and monitored the location of the suspect from the drone and pointed him out for the ground unit to roll him. The students got a real life demo that day.

Just wanted to share all that... yup, live in a community and am a part of it.

Reactions: Thomas B
A while back, I called a police chief’s office to let them know I was doing a local shoot within a mile of their heliport, they were very nice about it and asked if I had an aviation radio to monitor when they’d be flying near the heliport. I did. I also gave them my FAA 107 certificate number, personal phone number and address.

They called back a few weeks later and asked if I could shoot some aerials of their training for them (a volunteer gig) and I said sure!

The local police also did an UAV demo for our school aviation club, and right in the middle of the demo there was an incident near the school and the officer found and monitored the location of the suspect from the drone and pointed him out for the ground unit to roll him. The students got a real life demo that day.

Just wanted to share all that... yup, live in a community and am a part of it.

that 107 license (that us hobbyist don't have) really comes in handy doesn't it? ;)

that 107 license (that us hobbyist don't have) really comes in handy doesn't it? ;)

Not hard to get... unless one doesn’t want to present ID, get a background check, etc... really, it’s a privilege to have one since it does open doors, you should do it.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcremona