DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Asking For RTH Point

Lets Fly

Reactions
Tried my first flight with AirMap and it did not give me RTH verified, or ask for calibration, is That normal? GO4 always tells me and asks.

N
Tried my first flight with AirMap and it did not give me RTH verified, or ask for calibration, is That normal? GO4 always tells me and asks.
I’m not completely clear on what you mean by first flight with AirMap. The RTH and verification are part of Go4 and establish by your drone at takeoff. To answer the question; No, AirMap is only to obtain LAANC clearance to fly for a specific time length in a specific location.

Reactions: Rich55
Ok, thanks for getting back. I have always flown with Go4 and I have now downloaded AirMap which seemed easier to get flight clearance. I tried a practice run from my yard and took off while on AirMap.
Should I have taken off with Go4 and then switched to AirMap (I wouldn't think so)? I have now obtained a flight with AirMap for tomorrow morning? If I go there (restricted air space) and try to take off with Go4, won't it ask me for information to clear me for the flight which I already have with AirMap, and not let me fly?

Ok, thanks for getting back. I have always flown with Go4 and I have now downloaded AirMap which seemed easier to get flight clearance. I tried a practice run from my yard and took off while on AirMap.
Should I have taken off with Go4 and then switched to AirMap (I wouldn't think so)? I have now obtained a flight with AirMap for tomorrow morning? If I go there (restricted air space) and try to take off with Go4, won't it ask me for information to clear me for the flight which I already have with AirMap, and not let me fly?
Clearance is the only thing. I only use AirMap to get LAANC clearance and do it on my iPhone. I fly with a CS to controller using the Go4 app which opens automatically when I start the stick controller. I have never attempted to fly using AirMap, rather only use it for clearance. No problems encountered in 4 months.
Does that provide the info you’re seeking?

Reactions: captainozzie
When I open the DJI app and connect the AC and controller, I then click on GoFly and am asked to calibrate. Once done I take off and it records home point. I guess the question is, can
I fly with the DJI app and still have my clearance that i have already obtained through AirMap? Or will I again be questioned for clearance. I am flying over water to record my daughter rowing in a scull and certainly want to be sure the RTH is activated. I guess the best thing to do is try it, thanks.

Reactions: Thomas B
When I open the DJI app and connect the AC and controller, I then click on GoFly and am asked to calibrate. Once done I take off and it records home point. I guess the question is, can
I fly with the DJI app and still have my clearance that i have already obtained through AirMap? Or will I again be questioned for clearance. I am flying over water to record my daughter rowing in a scull and certainly want to be sure the RTH is activated. I guess the best thing to do is try it, thanks.
Understand now, the answer is yes from personal use. I leave the AirMap app open on my phone (no connection to flight systems) just because the app runs a countdown timer on the requested flight. Stat with Go4 or Litchi for your actual aircraft connection. I have never been questioned and frequently takeoff in the last 100 feet or so of an NFZ. RTH will set in the Go4 app. If possible, use 2 different devices, or just quit the AirMap app after you have your clearance.

Thanks, I will let you know tomorrow how things went. With luck (and some skill) I will fly again another day. On another note, I have not gotten DJI refresh or insurance yet. I have been flying over alligator infested waters and most likely would not dive to retrieve it if lost. To date I have had no problems with the Mavic Air over water. Thanks again.

Great, look forward to hearing about the outcome.
Get some kind of insurance... now if you want DJICare, but get SF, AMA, or something. Crashes are inevitable. Insurance saved me after an MPP crash.

Real quick ... "I am flying over water to record my daughter rowing in a scull" ... be sure to deactivate bottom sensor, flying over water may sometimes cause reflections, thus confusing the sensors and send it crashing.

If you are on land your return to home is wherever you set it on takeoff, if you are moving (on land) you can adjust this point to the new point you moved. If you yourself are on a boat you may want to consult other threads on this subject as it gets confusing.

Thomas B: You can, in fact, fly from Airmap and I believe Kittyhawk too. This is relatively new and you have to be registered with Airmap to use the function. I am sorry for the huge image it would not let me make it smaller

Screenshot_20190401-114018_AirMap.jpg

Reactions: Thomas B
I have used Airmap a couple of times to get clearance as a new 107 pilot. Both times I did get clearance, but according to the DJI app I wasn't in controlled airspace, while Airmap showed me to be in class B airspace. I'm trying to learn how to use it properly before DJI grounds me in a NFZ or worse, I fly without proper authorization.

Real quick ... "I am flying over water to record my daughter rowing in a scull" ... be sure to deactivate bottom sensor, flying over water may sometimes cause reflections, thus confusing the sensors and send it crashing.

If you are on land your return to home is wherever you set it on takeoff, if you are moving (on land) you can adjust this point to the new point you moved. If you yourself are on a boat you may want to consult other threads on this subject as it gets confusing.

Thomas B: You can, in fact, fly from Airmap and I believe Kittyhawk too. This is relatively new and you have to be registered with Airmap to use the function. I am sorry for the huge image it would not let me make it smaller

View attachment 68018
I flew with the AirMap it was fine, but when i was finished and went to flights, I saw the time and duration but not the video as i get with the DJI Go4. Maybe I am not looking in the correct place. I also thought the bottom sensors only activate when very close to the surface. I will be no lower than 25 or 30 feet in order to capture the full frame with rowers and the boat with wake and mostly higher.

Maybe someone can answer this, if flying and your time in the NFZ runs out before you get back, what happens to the AC and controls.

Maybe someone can answer this, if flying and your time in the NFZ runs out before you get back, what happens to the AC and controls.
I always put twice as long as I anticipate flying when I make my LAANC clearance request with AirMap. I do this on my iPhone. Gives me time to consider different aspects of my flights and I don’t have to get the answer to your question... just my work around. I do not fly with the phone. I use the controller and CS.

When I first hooked up on AirMap I didn't set a time and it was default at 15 min. When I saw that I cancelled that and put an hour. Flying with two batteries I would only have about 30 min. anyway. I would never run over but was curious if you would get a warning when your time expired. By the way, this morning South East Florida was covered in fog and I cancelled that flight.
Tomorrows another day.

I flew with the AirMap it was fine, but when i was finished and went to flights, I saw the time and duration but not the video as i get with the DJI Go4. Maybe I am not looking in the correct place. I also thought the bottom sensors only activate when very close to the surface. I will be no lower than 25 or 30 feet in order to capture the full frame with rowers and the boat with wake and mostly higher.
That is correct... The sensor problem over water is only when flying very low. Many fly regularly over water with those sensors enabled without issue, myself included. You should be fine.

Well the sky cleared so I figured I would try a practice run. Put the new flight plan into AirMap and all was accepted. I went to the site (again) and when i went to fly, nothing. I tried to go on with DJI Go4 and (no authorization). I tried opening AirMap and it said I had to log in, but it would not let me. Tried to ask for help and it said there was no internet connection
(aggravating to say the least), but I may be doing something wrong. I shall try again.

OK I read that you should not have both DJI and AirMap open at the same time. That was according to AirMap. So I did away with AirMap for now and tried to get authorization
from DJI to fly since I could test it in my own yard. Half of my acre of property is split by a class D space. I can fly away from it but it stops me in mid air if I go towards it. I went through all the requests setting up my account with DJI and it would not accept my mobile phone number although they sent me a verification code through a text. I tried the code but it didn't work anywhere I tried to put it. (Frustrating). Oh, and they did not ask for a credit card number anywhere, except in custom request which I was not doing, just phone number.

OK I read that you should not have both DJI and AirMap open at the same time. That was according to AirMap. So I did away with AirMap for now and tried to get authorization
from DJI to fly since I could test it in my own yard. Half of my acre of property is split by a class D space. I can fly away from it but it stops me in mid air if I go towards it. I went through all the requests setting up my account with DJI and it would not accept my mobile phone number although they sent me a verification code through a text. I tried the code but it didn't work anywhere I tried to put it. (Frustrating). Oh, and they did not ask for a credit card number anywhere, except in custom request which I was not doing, just phone number.
One of the main reasons why I use AirMap for clearance, plus the flight zone warning maps in the DJI app are very different than the circles we are used to and that FAA uses, but use the one your most comfortable with.
May be better when Kittyhawk completes the rework of B4UFly incorporating the new rules from 10/2018.

I guess no one has an answer for why they did not accept my mobile phone number and yet texted me a verification number. Perhaps I can somehow contact DJI to get an answer.
Also, it seems AirMap is not an authorization for clearance, just an informing entity that notifies the airport when you take off, (according to them), because as I said,
they gave me the OK and I still could not fly blocked by DJI.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast