DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Asking For RTH Point

OK again, I went to DJI.com and was able to get confirmation to fly in the class D space. I signed up under custom authorization instead of self. It did not require a phone number but emails and several other bits of information. I put the dates in for today and tomorrow in one area, and today for my house. Then I read if you do not get your email within 4 or 5 days contact them. I do not know why they allowed todays date, unless the email shows up today. Waiting patiently, but making progress.

I agree that the whole issue you’ve run into is very confusing, and frustrating. AirMap is approved by the FAA to obtain clearance.
I can’t explain the problem with DJI, but I do note that they are not apparently authorized by FAA to grant clearance according to the web page referenced above. Check out the link and scroll down for the list. Wonder if it has something to do with part 107?
Anyway, best of luck. I will be following your thread.

I don't know if this helps or muddies this thread?

Airmap - How to connect drone to Airmap
That’s where you go the first time. There is also an app for you phone. Once your info is in future uses take <30 seconds. It also works fine if you have the app on your phone and actually fly with a different device. It will run a countdown timer on the instantaneously approved flight. I always put in 1.5 - 2x the actual time I plan to be in the air.

Right now I am on my Win 10 PC (JUST installed the newest update) and starting to understand Airmap and how it can help me. I am not a 107 (started last week) but live about half way between the red NFZ and the outside edge of the restricted zone. In the past when I wanted to fly I would go to the DJI Self Unlocking and enter the data.

That is correct... The sensor problem over water is only when flying very low. Many fly regularly over water with those sensors enabled without issue, myself included. You should be fine.

Generally when trying to capture video of someone rowing a boat you would want to be low enough you can see them and make out any detail, thus taking precaution is a good thing but...do as you will. However. I do agree, as I have flown over water many times as well and never had an issue.

Generally when trying to capture video of someone rowing a boat you would want to be low enough you can see them and make out any detail, thus taking precaution is a good thing but...do as you will. However. I do agree, as I have flown over water many times as well and never had an issue.
Sure but a quad scull (4 person) is over 20 feet long. In order to capture the full effect of the boat wake along with the oars striking the water, I would need to be at least 30 or 40 feet high, maybe more. When I fly to the side of them moving with them, I may want to be lower for sure.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dond40127