DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Asteroid Mode Quality

sdharris

Reactions
I've tried Asteroid mode a couple of times and noticed terrible video quality pretty much from the first few seconds of the video, pixelation and other artefacts. Am I missing something, for instance a way for DJI Go to create a full quality version instead of one quickly rendered or is this the worse mode available?

It maxes out at 1080p unfortunately. I also noticed the same thing and it’s pretty jarring when you put it next to other 4K footage filmed with the drone.

I noticed the 1080p, and haven't done the maths in terms of the still images taken for the final globe but I assume they're low res still images and wish they added a high res option that took a little longer to complete but produced a better final result. Its a gimmick of course, not a mode designed to produce superb results and perhaps OK for the Mavic Air but on the Pro it doesn't attack up with the others.

At least I know now why examples from friends with Mavic Airs look so poor.

It's already the highest res it could be.
To do any better it would have to take multiple sets of stills at different places along the way, and figure out how to merge that...

nah, you compare the quality of the 360 picture and animation where it'll zoom in a little bit with the quality of the Asteroid the difference is remarkable, which is back to the need to offer a high res version but rather multiple images along the way a single 360 taken in the same way as the 360 mode which would take about 3 minutes to complete. But thats fine as the video portion of the mode is already done.

Is there a way to make our own 360 panorama, extract it of the drone sd card (including 4k vid) and post process the images with some 3rd party software to create the mini planet and then use a video editor (e.g. Filmora or Muvee) to make a similar vid to the one produce by DJI Go 4 editor?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard