DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Attacked by a bird again at the end.

Think I saw it fleetingly at 4:54 from bottom left to centre top of frame.
Looked a fair distance out, didn't see it return in attack, but it's a fast little bugger ?
Watched again several times in the area indicated... still don’t see a bird. Does appear something affected control though.
Maybe @bronze661 will return and enlighten us.

Watched again several times in the area indicated... still don’t see a bird. Does appear something affected control though.
Maybe @bronze661 will return and enlighten us.

Jim caught that frame of it, hard to see in even full screen on the desktop.
Just as the gimbal is moving down around 4:52 / 4:53.

The vision after the pilot started panning around got shaky, not the usual stable flying pattern of an Air, gimbal all over the place, looked like very gusty wind pocket, whole drone tilted badly too, but the air looks very still in general at the time.

Wonder if the flight TXT log would shed some light ?
Interested to post this @bronze661 ?

Well, it did result in several views already.... ;)

This is what I call a bird encounter... 4 passes and abandoned the flight.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: FlyingHevy
Well, it did result in several views already.... ;)

This is what I call a bird encounter... 4 passes and abandoned the flight.

Yeah, I'd get outta there fast too, that was close.
You just got another view too ! :D

Let's see if I can get a few more, lol . . .

Now this wasn't as close, but this was a fast avian !
Peregrine Falcon, details in YT description.

Yeah, I'd get outta there fast too, that was close.
You just got another view too ! :D

Let's see if I can get a few more, lol . . .

Now this wasn't as close, but this was a fast avian !
Peregrine Falcon, details in YT description.
Got my view. Thumbswayup... loved the red rock too! Reminds me of Sedona, AZ.

At the 20 second mark, you proceed to fly directly over a busy highway.
Do you think the rules don't apply to you ??
There’s no rule in the US that says you can’t fly over a highway...

You may be confusing the FAA’s guidance on part 107.39– Operation Over People that says you shouldn’t fly directly over a moving vehicle with a person inside but I can assure you this doesn’t apply to recreational pilots and at any rate there’s no evidence this occurred in the video anyway.

I propose that if we must ostracize people for breaking rules, lets make sure there we ourselves understand the rules and only when there’s irrefutable evidence that a rule has been broken. If we must at all

You may be confusing the FAA’s guidance on part 107.39– Operation Over People that says you shouldn’t fly directly over a moving vehicle with a person inside but I can assure you this doesn’t apply to recreational pilots and at any rate there’s no evidence this occurred in the video anyway.

I propose that if we must ostracize people for breaking rules, lets make sure there we ourselves understand the rules and only when there’s irrefutable evidence that a rule has been broken. If we must at all

OK, he didn't fly over the highway. :rolleyes:
Good night

Reactions: WAXMAN
At the 20 second mark, you proceed to fly directly over a busy highway.
Do you think the rules don't apply to you ??
No problem with that so long as you stay sufficiently high and quick so as not to create a driver distraction. You see, once you start setting such flight rules, you need to think about how many highway lanes are too many? And what about flying over sidewalks or even trails. One has to have a bit of judgement, not necessarily rules to govern safe flight behavior.

For all you bird watchers, the 3 still images attached were taken when I was flying my MPP in Iceland last year. A close call for sure.

Attachments

• 1084E446-C877-4BCD-A7B9-420DD4E79F19.jpeg
    1084E446-C877-4BCD-A7B9-420DD4E79F19.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 15
  • B517A983-2E89-4AC4-9906-7416BC71CC7C.jpeg
    B517A983-2E89-4AC4-9906-7416BC71CC7C.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 048233C2-8CDE-4493-B1A6-B02E5B04878B.jpeg
    048233C2-8CDE-4493-B1A6-B02E5B04878B.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Thomas B

I found this

It says it's a law that recreational flyers must follow these rules.

A bit less limited than 107 commercial flyers but it does say, not over moving vehicles.

I found this

It says it's a law that recreational flyers must follow these rules.

A bit less limited than 107 commercial flyers but it does say, not over moving vehicles.
Well it’s not the first time the FAA’s website is confused about UAV laws and it’s own guidance.

Whats funny is that the law they cite on that page actually only has 8 rules for recreational flight yet the website quotes 11!

The 8 rules to fly recreationally.

‘‘§44809. Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft

‘‘(a) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided in subsection (e), and notwithstanding chapter 447 of title 49, United States Code, a person may operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the operation adheres to all of the following limitations:
‘‘(1) The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.
‘‘(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization’s set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration.
‘‘(3) The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co- located and in direct communication with the operator.
‘‘(4) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft.
‘‘(5) In Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport, the operator obtains prior authoriza- tion from the Administrator or designee before operating and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.
‘‘(6) In Class G airspace, the aircraft is flown from the surface to not more than 400 feet above ground level and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.
‘‘(7) The operator has passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test described in subsection (g) and maintains proof of test passage to be made available to the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.
‘‘(8) The aircraft is registered and marked in accordance with chapter 441 of this title and proof of registration is made available to the Administrator or a designee of the Adminis- trator or law enforcement upon request.
FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 page 113

If you’ve made it this far without falling asleep you’ll have noticed no mention of cars moving or otherwise.

Official guidance from the FAA comes in what’s known as the Advisory Circular. Funny enough that website you found cites the correct Advisory Circular but quotes it incorrectly.

That official document correctly recognizes the 8 and only 8 conditions for flying recreationally and does not mention flying over people, flying over cars, or flying during daylight hours.

Regrettably you can’t believe everything you read on the internet and not even on the FAA’s website. You have to dig deeper and go off of source material not the summary information even if it is from a seemingly reliable source.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arya00