DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Attacked by seagulls in Cascais Portugal

Harryw

Reactions
I visited friends in Cascais Portugal last week and wanted to fly from their Terrasse down to the ocean. After just a few minutes in the air a lot of seagulls turned up and clearly showed that they were not positive to this newcomer intruding in their airspace. I later talked to another Mavic pilot who had the same experience and his solution was to descend the Mavic as a gesture of defeat.
Anyway nothing happens but I got hesitant flying out over the ocean.

I had a similar situation in Brighton Beach, UK last year. The were tons of seagulls on the beach. The seagulls would approach the drone, but I soon noticed that they were more curious than aggressive. They would fly up really close to the drone and once they got a good look at it they turned away. You may want to test that out....

Thanks Arnold, I will try next time in Portugal. I am doing a lot of flying in the south of Sweden by the ocean but never had any “curious” seagulls visiting.[emoji3]

Thanks Arnold, I will try next time in Portugal. I am doing a lot of flying in the south of Sweden by the ocean but never had any “curious” seagulls visiting.[emoji3]
And just in case you don't already know. I have quite a few aggressive birds in my area like hawks and crows. If you ever find yourself in a situation, put the drone in sport mode and go UP as fast as you can, and then away from the danger. The birds can't ascend as fast as the mavic can.

Reactions: Aspect
And just in case you don't already know. I have quite a few aggressive birds in my area like hawks and crows. If you ever find yourself in a situation, put the drone in sport mode and go UP as fast as you can, and then away from the danger. The birds can't ascend as fast as the mavic can.

I was on a pier in San Francisco to test out my new Mavic. A few minutes into the flight, a swarm of seagulls started to circle above with a few trying to get close. There was a Phantom pilot setting up and as we both noticed what was happening, he said you better bring it back - they're going to attack. I was about 100ft high when one seagull was coming in, so I dropped to about 20ft above water immediately and that kept them from taking passes at it. A few minutes after landing, the swarm dissipated.

I'm wary of seagulls now and will use your tip if I find myself in that situation again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven