DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ATTI / OPTI Mode - Vertical Climb Uncontrolled - Override for Max Height when No GPS detected

vallen

Reactions
Environment: 500,000 Sq Ft Warehouse / 45' ceilings / Highest Point of Equipment in the Warehouse is 16' / There is no GPS Signal inside the warehouse
Operator: Skilled / Flying without GPS is not a problem
Drone: Early Mavic Mini 2

Problem #1 : Need drone to to exceed 16' indoors when no GPS Signal is obtainable. (Need to videograph the environment below from ~ 25-30' above)

Problem #2 : By taping up ground sensors on bottom of the drone, I can override the 5M no GPS Limit, however Drone goes into an un-flyable state after 1 or 2 minutes where descent can only be controlled by initiating the "landing sequence." It seems to work for a minute or two just fine and I have absolute control and then It goes nuts, losing descent capability and begins to steadily climb unwanted.

I also have access the drone firmware settings, however, I do not know which firmware parameter to tweak to increase the 5M No GPS Limit setting, remove completely, or to disable the vertical ground sensor altogether.

Environment: 500,000 Sq Ft Warehouse / 45' ceilings / Highest Point of Equipment in the Warehouse is 16' / There is no GPS Signal inside the warehouse

Problem #1 : Need drone to to exceed 16' indoors when no GPS Signal is obtainable. (Need to videograph the environment below from ~ 25-30' above)

Problem #2 : By taping up ground sensors on bottom of the drone, I can override the 5M no GPS Limit, however Drone goes into an un-flyable state after 1 or 2 minutes where descent can only be controlled by initiating the "landing sequence." It seems to work for a minute or two just fine and I have absolute control and then It goes nuts, losing descent capability and begins to steadily climb unwanted.

I also have access the drone firmware settings, however, I do not know which firmware parameter to tweak to increase the 5M No GPS Limit setting, remove completely, or to disable the vertical ground sensor altogether.
Full disclosure, I don’t know but if you are willing to go test I would carefully try turning g_config.fdi_open.without_gps_allowed to 1.

Reactions: vallen

Two possible things you can try to do in this case.

1. Take off from 25-30 mt height so the relative height will be measured from that altitude, this will let you fly above 30 m
2. Don't tape bottom sensor, it goes crazy & start climbing up instead use propeller guards then it might let you go up except OA sensors wont be working but bottom sensors will work.

I can think of no reason why problem 2 would arise and suggest you post a relevant flight log and perhaps the logs of more than one troubled flight.

I had the same issue with a Mavic "1". I found that if it put it up, it would rise to that 16' level. If I then landed and took off again, it would go where I wanted it to and I did have control. That having been said, I have had some close calls flying inside, so be prepared for erratic behavior and keep the lights on.

Two possible things you can try to do in this case.

1. Take off from 25-30 mt height so the relative height will be measured from that altitude, this will let you fly above 30 m
2. Don't tape bottom sensor, it goes crazy & start climbing up instead use propeller guards then it might let you go up except OA sensors wont be working but bottom sensors will work.
It has a vertical detection sensor on bottom that are limited to 5M. Taking off from other heights is only valid long enough for the drone to re-calculate it's new height and adjust accordingly. You can see this when traveling over objects in non-GPS mode as the drone will track height relative to those objects. Option #1 is a no-go. Option #2 makes no sense to me given the bottom sensor is the issue. Prop guards aren't going to help and there are no OA sensors on the Mini-2.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I had the same issue with a Mavic "1". I found that if it put it up, it would rise to that 16' level. If I then landed and took off again, it would go where I wanted it to and I did have control. That having been said, I have had some close calls flying inside, so be prepared for erratic behavior and keep the lights on.
I think they re-programmed things a bit for that work-around as it no longer works, at least in the Mini-2 variant. Thanks for the info though.

I can think of no reason why problem 2 would arise and suggest you post a relevant flight log and perhaps the logs of more than one troubled flight.
It is very interesting behavior that leads me to believe something has been coded into the platform to prevent normal flight while the sensors are covered. I'll try and post some logs.

Reactions: brett8883
t has a vertical detection sensor on bottom that are limited to 5M. Taking off from other heights is only valid long enough for the drone to re-calculate it's new height and adjust accordingly. You can see this when traveling over objects in non-GPS mode as the drone will track height relative to those objects.
That behaviour has, I think, resulted in some drones getting stuck after descending into a canyon/gorge, losing GPS and then being flown low enough for the VPS to detect something.
It might also suggest a possible escape route, climb to the 5m ceiling and then find something a little below that ceiling, fly over that something ....... repeat.

If the drone is launched from 'up high', can you test whether or not the drone is
a) forced down to meet a newly detected 5m ceiling, or
b) it will remain above the 5m ceiling unless commanded to descend by you?

Could you also test whether or not when it is above the 5m ceiling can it be made to climb? I suspect not but ......

It also explains how a flight of mine was possible. I started the flight outside and flew the drone through the door into the house, up the stairs and into the attic.
I wondered why it was able to exceed the 5m barometric ceiling. The floor of the first floor became the new 'ground zero'. Thumbswayup
It didn't end well as I moved and, with hindsight, blocked the illumination of the floor so the drone switched to ATTI and it was already close to a wall etc.. Fortunately no damage done.

Reactions: vallen
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78