DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 Zoom - North Pole

Have flown Mavic Pro and Phantom 3 in Arctic regions (Siberia and northern Norway, north of 70N). The compass and limited GPS/GLONASS coverage issue is indeed a problem. Just expect that the drone switches to ATTI in midair. Under strong wind this is not pleasant. I also noted, that the errors popped up when the sun was more active; therefore check the KP index. Else: Svalbard in June is not really cold - no problem there.

However, I just returned from there: there are quite strict drone regulations prominently posted at the airport. No flying to polar bears permitted... Be considerate...

Reactions: bzmot
Regarding keeping M2 above the waterline and retrieving your footage on SD card:
I'd recommend a combination of phantomrains M2 wetsuit & sea lander, as well as a Marco Polo Tracker (water resistant version) for any over water flights. The sea-lander will catch wind, but an acceptable compromise, esp if your main concern is to get your SD card back (with the added bonus of your M2 not being water-logged and done for the rest of your trip)!

Since you'll have several new factors to deal with that your not used to, such as AC not having reliable GPS, incorrect/no RTH bearing, forced ATTI mode, heavy winds changing direction, and wet/sleaty weather, I'd rather know that if I cant fly my M2 back, that it'll have a platform to land on, so it can be found floating intact, a bit of splash on it, instead of bobbing around water-logged, or not finding it at all?

In addition, the wetsuit would also insulate your battery beyond what you'd need!

I'm a big fan of MarcoPolo because its purely RF direction finding based, so no cell or GPS reqd. It gives you a direction & a means of figuring distance via signal strength, so your not searching randomly, doing grid patterns in your boat. Over water your range would be over 1 mi easy, likely 2mi?

Great piece of mind allowing you to squeeze juice from the battery if you run into a great filming opportunity (whales, etc) on your way back, with 30% left. You know what I'm talking about.

As for filming gear recommendations, No lense filters is probably a non issue unless your going for that 'cinematic blur, 24fps' look.

Maybe check out an Anamorphic lense? I heard there is one for the M2P, but not sure if for the M2Z?

Good luck. Sounds like a great trip!

Oh yeah, I'd also recommend the Smart Controller. It keeps itself pretty warm and feels great with gloves on.
I found a great lanyard, on amazon (by roboterwerks) which keeps the SC in its flat orientation, so you can put your hands in your pocket and still see screen!

You've probably already thought on this, but with the GPS issues youll be facing at that latitude, the distance reading your Go4 app/standard RC HUD will be showing, isnt likely to be very accurate?
Checking a GPS app (such as GPS Status & Toolbox) on your phone. It'll give you a GPS accuracy error figure. That'll give you some indication before taking off?
Last bit is just my 2c. Probably better ways of checking that info?
9f64c0f3c904281a40b13a6fde67bdcb.jpg

Reactions: Thomas B
Got one. Love the roboterwerk. Frees hands often and keeps antennae directed at the same time while looking at the screen.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada