DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

August 21 Eclipse Help!!

RockyTop

Reactions
29 epic places to witness the 2017 solar eclipse | Expedia Viewfinder

I'm a newer MP Pilot who lives in one of the best citys in the article above, Crossville TN. I plan on hiking to one of the highest points on the plateau. Then I'm going to launch the Mavic pro to its highest attitude. Should I order a lens?? What setting should I set to to capture this event. I also heard the gimble can be set to 30 degrees higher. Is this true?? I have been waiting for this so long. Please help all experienced pilots. Any info appreciated.......

You can adjust the gimbal up 30 degrees, note the drawing shows the prop. (Any wind will make that worse)
upload_2017-7-28_4-50-39.png

Not sure what you plan to get into your shot, might want to pre-shoot the area to see where the sun is at that time of day? I'm not any sort of filter guy but if you plan to "shoot the sun", you will need a serous filter and then not see the "landscape" as it would be blacked out like the photos in the link you posted. (If you can get your Mavic pointed at the sun that time of day)

Good luck as you plan for the event! (Post what you get!!)

Im very interested, wish I could help but all the best on this venture, Im sure you'll get good precice advice and will follow your progress.

I plan to shoot the eclipse with mavic also, but not looking at the sun.

I'm
Going to point mavic the opposite direction and capture the landscape and shadows.

Reactions: Stride8
The Mavic is probably not the best platform to photograph the sun itself. According to the NOAA solar position calculator site, the elevation of the sun (angle up from the horizon) for your location at that time of day will be about 55 degrees. Meaning with the Mavic in a level hover, the 30 deg up angle on the camera won't be enough. I guess you could put it in sport mode, turn off gimbal stabilization, and give it max down stick to raise the camera up high enough. Until you run into something flying backwards. :)

Much better, as Lapeer says, is to get to the highest elevation you can and get the Mavic up to its max height, then aim the camera out to the horizon and down to the ground to film the moon shadow.

Even better is to just watch the eclipse with your eyes (with proper protection of course) and not a camera or Mavic. You don't want to be fiddling with the Mavic controller and miss this.

29 epic places to witness the 2017 solar eclipse | Expedia Viewfinder

I'm a newer MP Pilot who lives in one of the best citys in the article above, Crossville TN. I plan on hiking to one of the highest points on the plateau. Then I'm going to launch the Mavic pro to its highest attitude. Should I order a lens?? What setting should I set to to capture this event. I also heard the gimble can be set to 30 degrees higher. Is this true?? I have been waiting for this so long. Please help all experienced pilots. Any info appreciated.......

Also in Crossville. Where do you like to fly?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev