DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Austin's Historic Moonlight Towers (1:36)

spamgnome

Reactions
Here is Austin, we have a national treasure. We are home to the last handful of functioning Moonlight Towers anywhere in the world! I took the opportunity yesterday to go film one. It was sad to see Austin's streets so empty, but it made the drone flying a lot less stressful in this urban setting.

The moonlight towers in Austin, Texas, are the only known surviving moonlight towers in the world. They are 165 feet (50 m) tall and have a 15-foot (4.6 m) foundation. A single tower cast light from six carbon arc lamps, illuminating a 1,500-foot-radius (460 m) circle brightly enough to read a watch.[2]

In 1970 the towers were recognized as Texas State Landmarks, followed by the 15 remaining towers being listed in the National Register of Historic Places on July 12, 1976. Only 6 are in their original locations as established by the Board of Public Works and City Council in 1895.
-Wikipedia-

Here is Austin, we have a national treasure. We are home to the last handful of functioning Moonlight Towers anywhere in the world! I took the opportunity yesterday to go film one. It was sad to see Austin's streets so empty, but it made the drone flying a lot less stressful in this urban setting.

The moonlight towers in Austin, Texas, are the only known surviving moonlight towers in the world. They are 165 feet (50 m) tall and have a 15-foot (4.6 m) foundation. A single tower cast light from six carbon arc lamps, illuminating a 1,500-foot-radius (460 m) circle brightly enough to read a watch.[2]

In 1970 the towers were recognized as Texas State Landmarks, followed by the 15 remaining towers being listed in the National Register of Historic Places on July 12, 1976. Only 6 are in their original locations as established by the Board of Public Works and City Council in 1895.
-Wikipedia-

Nice job of delivering succinct video coverage and providing interesting history about a neat structure!

Enjoyed your video... grew up in Buda. Always loved seeing these lights.
Glad you liked it. I've been wanting to "drone" these towers for a long time. I did a LOT of internet research to make sure it was legal, but couldn't find anything to indicate that it wasn't.

Glad you liked it. I've been wanting to "drone" these towers for a long time. I did a LOT of internet research to make sure it was legal, but couldn't find anything to indicate that it wasn't.
Just follow posted FAA rules. Direct website or FAA DroneZone. Likely OK with the lockdown in place and lack of people and cars out and about.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom