DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Australian drone flying rules...

iamcostas

Reactions
Merry Christmas and happy new year ?
I was reading again about the drone flying rules here in Australia.
I think the rules are not so specific and confuse me...

A) they say you must fly the drone 30m away from people. Is this means I could fly a drone 30m above from a person?
B) they say you must fly one drone at the time. What if we are a group of 100 people at the same spot and each person has one drone?
C) they say you could fly a drone that weights less than 250gr in a airport with no control tower within 5.5km.
So if my drone weights 251 gr, what is this all about the weight? Is is about a potential collision?
D) if I understand well , I don't have to register (yet) a Mavic air which is weight more than 250 gr because I use it for recreational purposes. Is it true?
E) they say you can't fly the drone 120m above ground level. So, could I or not fly the drone on the to of a tall building?

I hope I am not sound silly and I will find the answers soon or later ?
Thanks

Merry Christmas and happy new year ?
I was reading again about the drone flying rules here in Australia.
I think the rules are not so specific and confuse me...

A) they say you must fly the drone 30m away from people. Is this means I could fly a drone 30m above from a person?
B) they say you must fly one drone at the time. What if we are a group of 100 people at the same spot and each person has one drone?
C) they say you could fly a drone that weights less than 250gr in a airport with no control tower within 5.5km.
So if my drone weights 251 gr, what is this all about the weight? Is is about a potential collision?
D) if I understand well , I don't have to register (yet) a Mavic air which is weight more than 250 gr because I use it for recreational purposes. Is it true?
E) they say you can't fly the drone 120m above ground level. So, could I or not fly the drone on the to of a tall building?

I hope I am not sound silly and I will find the answers soon or later ?
Thanks
The 30m rule is like a dome, which means 30m above as well.

Reactions: iamcostas
The 30m rule is like a dome, which means 30m above as well.
More like a cylinder than a dome. The important difference being that you need to maintain lateral distance, extra altitude can’t help. You don’t have to be 30m above and being more than 30 won’t help if you are within the imaginary cylinder.

Last edited:
Reactions: iamcostas
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61