DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Authorization: how does that work?

MiniNubi

Reactions
I don't really understand authorization, but have a question even beyond that: I recently wanted to fly in an area that had a forest fire that was controlled, put out, about 2 weeks ago. When I went to launch, I was told by DJI Fly app that are was under Authorization. It asked for information, that I thought was leading toward "Ok, you gave us the deny-ability, now you can fly on your own responsibility" (or maybe I was wrong about the outcome) BUT in any case, I did not want to fly if there were still restrictions on flying in that area... How would I find that out? Would it be possible to get permission?

Use this app for FAA notices.

Ha,ha...You beat me to it eEridani. :)

Reactions: eEridani
When I see FMC the first thing I think of is Full Metal something... lol. Then I have to process what the C stands for. :D

ps: I do eventually get to Fly More Combo ... but it really strains the brain... lol.

I use the Aloft app to get FAA authorization, plus you have to connect to the Self Unlocking - Fly Safe - DJI DJI self-unlocking site BEFORE you fly (preferably, the previous day). That is what really unlocks your drone, and it will unlock it for up to three days. However, when we had a nearby forest fire, the mountain range that I wanted to fly (normally Class-G airspace) was locked out by DJI for an additional 2 months even after the "No Fly Zone" was lifted by the FAA.

I use the Aloft app to get FAA authorization, plus you have to connect to the Self Unlocking - Fly Safe - DJI DJI self-unlocking site BEFORE you fly (preferably, the previous day). That is what really unlocks your drone, and it will unlock it for up to three days. However, when we had a nearby forest fire, the mountain range that I wanted to fly (normally Class-G airspace) was locked out by DJI for an additional 2 months even after the "No Fly Zone" was lifted by the FAA.
If the TFR was lifted then you can contact the DJI custom unlock department and they will remove the authorization zone.

But since a TFR is just a self-authorization (blue) zone in the DJI Geo system, if the TFR has cleared then you can perfectly legally self-authorize and fly.

Reactions: jimlips
If you do it at home is it the held of memory of my Ipad or the controller? Since you will disconnect from the App after you are done?

If you do it at home is it the held of memory of my Ipad or the controller? Since you will disconnect from the App after you are done?
Hi Mark:

I'm not sure where it is stored. Here is what I do that works every time:
  1. Request the authorization from DJI at Self Unlocking - Fly Safe - DJI - be prepared to have your Remote Control's serial number (NOT the aircraft serial number). They will need your phone number as well. This is where they will text (SMS) a PIN for you to complete the authorization sequence.
  2. Once you have this, it is in the "queue" for your RC. At this point, I go to the location that I am going to fly.
  3. Once there, I make sure I have my iPad connected to my phone's Hotspot, so it can connect to the internet and communicate to DJI.
  4. Fire up your RC, then fire up your aircraft. Once they sync up, the Go4 software on the iPad will likely be red at the top, and say:
  5. 2021-10-13 19.32.17.jpg 2021-10-13 19.32.46.jpg
  6. Click on the three white dots at the top right of the screen, and find "Unlocking License" at the bottom::
  7. 2021-10-13 19.33.33-1.jpg
  8. Tap Unlocking License:
  9. 2021-10-13 19.33.59-1.jpg
  10. Tap on IMPORT TO AIRCRAFT. Once that is done, tap the AIRCRAFT button at the top.
  11. 2021-10-13 19.34.14.jpg
  12. If you have more than one authorization, slide the button to the right on the one you want to fly. It will turn green as above. Note that the date is NEVER correct on this screen. Mine shows last year here, but it is the correct authorization and it will work. The below screen should pop up.
  13. 2021-10-13 19.34.33-1.jpg
  14. Tap on the "Please Confirm" circles to the right, so check marks appear. Then tap YES at the bottom. The first one assumes you have used ALOFT (or B4UFLY) to get authorization from the FAA before flying. The second one releases liability from DJI.
  15. It may take a few seconds, but if successful, you will get this screens
  16. 2021-10-13 19.38.39.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito