DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Auto" Camera Still/Video Setting -- What Does it Do?

jclarkw

Reactions
On the Mavic Air 2with the DJI Fly app in the Manual setting, I see that there are vast ranges of ISO and shutter-speed options available. Although Manual mode (with an appropriate ND filter) is certainly optimal for both stills and videos, many times this level of tinkering is not practical. It would help to know what the Auto setting is doing to decide when Manual is really needed. Does anyone know what kind of "program" is used in the Auto setting? For example,

1) In still photos, does it bias toward fast shutter speeds (minimum blur) with high ISOs as needed or toward low ISOs (to preserve resolution) with low shutter speeds as needed?

2) In videos, at least when you don't want to convert some frames to stills, I understand that it is desirable to choose a shutter speed 1/2 the frame rate (for ideal motion blur) with the ISO and/or ND filter chosen as needed. Does Auto attempt it do this, or (again) does it bias toward fast shutter speeds (minimum blur) with high ISOs as needed or low ISOs (to preserve resolution) with low shutter speeds as needed? -- jclarkw

Always lowest ISO to be as noiseless as possible. I haven't heard anyone choose higher ISOs if lighting didn't warrant it, so why should the camera?

For systems that aren't fixed aperture, you can choose priority.

On the Mavic Air 2with the DJI Fly app in the Manual setting, I see that there are vast ranges of ISO and shutter-speed options available. Although Manual mode (with an appropriate ND filter) is certainly optimal for both stills and videos, many times this level of tinkering is not practical. It would help to know what the Auto setting is doing to decide when Manual is really needed. Does anyone know what kind of "program" is used in the Auto setting? For example,

1) In still photos, does it bias toward fast shutter speeds (minimum blur) with high ISOs as needed or toward low ISOs (to preserve resolution) with low shutter speeds as needed?

2) In videos, at least when you don't want to convert some frames to stills, I understand that it is desirable to choose a shutter speed 1/2 the frame rate (for ideal motion blur) with the ISO and/or ND filter chosen as needed. Does Auto attempt it do this, or (again) does it bias toward fast shutter speeds (minimum blur) with high ISOs as needed or low ISOs (to preserve resolution) with low shutter speeds as needed? -- jclarkw
Is there an option on the MA2 to turn off auto ISO? On my DJI drones you can turn off auto ISO so it would only use shutter speed to control exposure there by giving you more control while at the same time still being automatic.

Reactions: jclarkw
Is there an option on the MA2 to turn off auto ISO? On my DJI drones you can turn off auto ISO so it would only use shutter speed to control exposure there by giving you more control while at the same time still being automatic.
brett8883 -- Doesn't seem to be. (At least it doesn't appear in DJI Fly.) Only choices I see are (full) Auto or (full) manual. -- jclarkw

brett8883 -- Doesn't seem to be. (At least it doesn't appear in DJI Fly.) Only choices I see are (full) Auto or (full) manual. -- jclarkw
What about in manual mode? Is there a way to put ISO to automatic? Your shutter would be fixed but it would adapt ISO to changing light conditions (good for video to a degree)

What about in manual mode? Is there a way to put ISO to automatic? Your shutter would be fixed but it would adapt ISO to changing light conditions (good for video to a degree)
I was describing Manual mode. (In auto mode, there is no button/indicator for ISO or shutter speed.) -- jclarkw

Always lowest ISO to be as noiseless as possible. I haven't heard anyone choose higher ISOs if lighting didn't warrant it, so why should the camera?

For systems that aren't fixed aperture, you can choose priority.
DanMan32 -- I hope this doesn't seem disrespectful, but having read your post, I'm not completely certain whether you're describing what the Mavic Air 2 camera ought to do or what it does do in Auto mode. Would you please clarify. -- jclarkw

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut