DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Auto Focus?

Reactions
I have had my Mavic 2 Zoom for just over two weeks and I am loving it! However, I was under the impression that the new Mavic 2 drones had some type of auto focus option. Twice now, I have forgotten to touch the screen or hit my custom button that I have programmed to focus and the entire recording was slightly out of focus. I thought it was supposed to periodically auto focus. Am I incorrect or is there an option that I can turn on that will auto focus?

Thanks!

Reactions: philh24
Tip from another thread...

Press the camera button halfway down (like you do with a SLR camera) and the camera focuses... I have tested that yet, either that or you can program one of the C buttons for focus

Well, the half button press did not work for me now. But in the camera settings (under the gear icon) Enable AFC Mode - that should keep it autofocusing. but you can always toggle on/off in the upper right quadrant on the app. AFC/MF (its next to the AE - lock/unlock)

I had exactly the same with my first flight. Strangely though it only seems out of focus in some places on the frame, rather than consistently blurry across. Did you find this too? It made me wonder if it was a fault.

I had exactly the same with my first flight. Strangely though it only seems out of focus in some places on the frame, rather than consistently blurry across. Did you find this too? It made me wonder if it was a fault.

No, it seemed ok. I picked up a tip before I bought the drone and it has become habit now. For landscape stuff, I keep it on manual focus, zoom in press the centre of my screen ( it then focuses) and then zoom out. I haven’t done any active tracking, but if I did it would still be zoom in first and focus - might try then putting out on auto and then zoom back to the required framing

Reactions: mavic53
Thanks for the info Sparkles. I don't know how I missed the Auto/Manual focus button. I checked this setting and mine was already set to auto. I then flew it and watched the behavior. It looks like it auto-focused once while it is on the ground. This made it focus on the ground directly in front of the Mavic. Once I took it up, everything far away was out of focus and it did not auto-focus again. Is this the expected behavior? My desired behavior is that the camera would focus every time I started to record. Maybe it does... I will have to do more testing.

I am thinking that I might want to use manual focus. I will do more testing because I'm curious if the manual focus settings will remain between restarts. If it does, every time I fly, it will be focused on distant objects, which is what I will always want. My subjects are never closer than 100 feet.

As I understand it the auto focus kicks-in when the drone stops moving/hovers. If you were moving continuously it would not have refocussed.

I just keep pressing the centre of the screen, it then focuses. Bit of ocd on my part.

Reactions: cappy24

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Piason