DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autonomous flight app for Air 2S

I use Litchi just fine for waypoints on my Air 2S.
I, too use Litchi on my Air 2S for small areas where I know that the controller/drone signal will be maintained.
Since the Air 2S is a VSC drone, it will the perform the preferred action on signal loss. I want mine to RTH.
Litchi is great. Flexible enough to set up a mission at home and tweak it in the field, if necessary.

I have also used Litchi and Mission Hub without issue on the RC Pro with Air 2S. But the virtual stick implementation never flew as smoothly or precisely (?) on the 2S as missions did on the Mavic Air. The original Air supported the plan being loaded and executed on board, even if signal was lost. Thus my question above about the Air 3 capability to fly on board plans or if it's still virtual stick. Time will tell, but if the Air 3 can load the parameters on board and not depend on virtual sticks, that's a HUGE selling point to me.

I think this is the right forum, I have the Air 2S, and was wondering the same thing about Litchi which I have, that if I create waypoints will it just do them but only if in range.

Here is my question, how far can either controllers go with signal? I feel like I can go maybe 2000 feet away MAYBE I forget. Yet, I do notice I lose RC signal a lot! I thought it's supposed to go like 13km or something. Where do you have to be to get that range, the desert?

What is the real range?

I have someone selling a Phantom 4 Pro obsidian locally that was there back up drone. Is that a better drone for what I need for the adjustable aperture and mechanical shutter?
The Phantom 4 drones are great drones! They have on-board waypoints. I have a P4 Pro that I love and still fly. Its only problem is the shorter battery life.. 21-22 minutes is about all you'll get flying missions.

I use Litchi just fine for waypoints on my Air 2S. Yes, I have to send it up first with my controller and then start its routine. When someone says it’s not autonomous, if that’s what they mean, then fine. But it works well for me. You can save the program and run it time after time on the same flight path.
But can you use Litchi to do grid missions?

If by “grid” missions, you mean mapping, then DroneDeploy, DJI GS Pro, or Pix4D would be a better alternative. You could do a crude version of that with Litchi, but I believe the waypoint limit is 100, unless it has changed.

If by “grid” missions, you mean mapping, then DroneDeploy, DJI GS Pro, or Pix4D would be a better alternative. You could do a crude version of that with Litchi, but I believe the waypoint limit is 100, unless it has changed.
It was changed in May 2022 .... to 10,000 waypoints for both Android and iOS.
I'm not sure what you mean by "a crude version" of grid missions with Litchi. I use it extensively for mapping missions, both grid and non-grid.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
As @mobilehomer said, Litchi DOES do waypoints with the 2S. It is just not truly autonomous. If you lose connection, it does the default action. DroneDeploy will perform the same way if it loses controller connection.

The Air 2S does not have 'on board' waypoints because of the way DJI designed that drone. NONE of the flight apps will be totally autonomous for the Air 2S. You have to maintain controller/drone signal for missions to be completed.
It's odd that the Air 2S doesn't have waypoints for normal modes, since it has it for hyperlapses - its therefore capable of doing them.

It's odd that the Air 2S doesn't have waypoints for normal modes, since it has it for hyperlapses - its therefore capable of doing them.
It has waypoint capability .... but not "on-board" waypoint capability. The difference is, it cant complete a mission beyond controller range.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
It was changed in May 2022 .... to 10,000 waypoints for both Android and iOS.
I'm not sure what you mean by "a crude version" of grid missions with Litchi. I use it extensively for mapping missions, both grid and non-grid.
Thank you for the update. That is great news.
I have not used Litchi for mapping, only DroneDeploy and but I love it for waypoints, previewing a waypoint flight with Google Earth Pro, and panos.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR