DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autopilot: Waypoints - Loss of signal issues/questions

OK I'm having tons of problems with Autopilot already and absolutely hating it. :mad: Before I explain further, I want to check it's not my device. I'm using an iPad Mini 2, which I realise isn't on the supported list.

Has anyone else successfully used Autopilot with an iPad Mini 2 before?
ipad mini 2 is not powerful enough to use with autopilot except possibly on the simplest missions. I use an ipad pro 9.7" and never an issue of any sort.

Reactions: darana
I was using an iPad mini 4 and every wavepoint mission would crash. I bought a new iPad Pro 10.5 hopping that was my problem but I still have choppy camera feed and app crashes. Even happens on orbit.
Help

Any chance you can save your waypoint mission and send it? I never have issues with Autopilot - using an ipad pro

Here it is...
Check out this Autopilot Flight Plan (Home):
I have checked your route and basically, no problem. Of course I can't fly it because I'm on the other side of the world. I have noticed however that your missing the power of Autopilot. Interpolation is a very powerful tool. Also you have camera triggers in a film route.... Why?

I would suggest, delete all waypoints, focus and camera triggers and reprogram your flight. Programming this route takes 2 minutes. If you can't do, I'll have a go on it

Please explain... I have camera triggers to point the camera at a certain poi (home...direction...etc) while flying the mission. Then certain places I have the camera to take a video. I had interpolation in the first two triggers but it would not stay focused on the home long enough because they are so close together.

I think I can see the problem however without flying it I am not 100% sure. If I have time I will try it tomorrow. Basically I am seeing a lot of waypoints, not sure why so many are needed; all focus points should be interpolated before and after and ideally not too close together unless the poi are not too far apart. Hope this makes sense but I have also noticed 12 focus triggers but none are referenced to where.

Thinking I would agree with Oyibo VFX, delete and start over. No need for so many waypoints either

I think I can see the problem however without flying it I am not 100% sure. If I have time I will try it tomorrow. Basically I am seeing a lot of waypoints, not sure why so many are needed; all focus points should be interpolated before and after and ideally not too close together unless the poi are not too far apart. Hope this makes sense but I have also noticed 12 focus triggers but none are referenced to where.
I have all the wave points so it will follow the path I made and follow the road and not fly over homes and people while following the mission.Without all the wave points it cuts corners and would fly over homes and property. The focus triggers all have a subject (home) or direction attached to them.

Last edited:
I was using an iPad mini 4 and every wavepoint mission would crash. I bought a new iPad Pro 10.5 hopping that was my problem but I still have choppy camera feed and app crashes. Even happens on orbit.
Help

Ok can I ask which version of Autopilot? It makes no sense that with an ipad pro should not be able to complete this without issue. I would suggest perhaps contacting Hangar; their support is very good. We would be interested in how it is resolved

Ok can I ask which version of Autopilot? It makes no sense that with an ipad pro should not be able to complete this without issue. I would suggest perhaps contacting Hangar; their support is very good. We would be interested in how it is resolved
4.1 latest

I use the beta (4.2.158) version on an iPad Pro 9.7 and since that, no more issues. Except for panorama pix.

I use the beta (4.2.158) version on an iPad Pro 9.7 and since that, no more issues. Except for panorama pix.
How do you get the beta?
Edit... I think I found it I had signed up already but don't remember any news about joining a beta.

Last edited:
How do you get the beta?
Edit... I think I found it I had signed up already but don't remember any news about joining a beta.

Also just a side note but one time when I did a complex waypoint mission I had issues but did not immediately realize I had some 20 plus apps running in the background! Once I closed them properly and rebooted the iPad no more issues.

I always fly very complex waypoint routes. But again, with the iPad Pro, no issues.
And for the beta, you need to download and install Apple's TestFlight app.

The problems you mention are exactly the reason I don't use Autopilot.

Adding to those (...and contrary to Litchi...) it is a pain to build a mission on a portable device as their interface is graphically overloaded, prone to pop something up at the slightest touch on the wrong area in the screen (...and my screen is a small one, being an iPad Mini 2...)

They really should have a desktop version to pre-plan missions, as Litchi does, and take care of your mentioned inability to continue the mission if the signal is lost, while maintaining the ability to include bézier curves.

As it stands, it is a pity that the program I found most promising is actually the one I can't use.

MK
iPad mini 2 lacks the horsepower to run Autopilot. You are right that the ipad mini has too small of a screen. I use a 9.7" iPad Pro and find that preplanning on it is easy to do and their new beta has really improved the interface too.

iPad mini 2 lacks the horsepower to run Autopilot. You are right that the ipad mini has too small of a screen. I use a 9.7" iPad Pro and find that preplanning on it is easy to do and their new beta has really improved the interface too.

Out of curiosity... Do you use the Autopilot screen or the DJI (beta) screen.
I'm back to the Autopilot screen. The DJI screen only looks nice but does not have the same features as the GO4 app

Out of curiosity... Do you use the Autopilot screen or the DJI (beta) screen.
I'm back to the Autopilot screen. The DJI screen only looks nice but does not have the same features as the GO4 app
Im using the DJI beta screen and curious what you mean by not having the same features, camera settings etc seem to be there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yaro