DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Autumn MA2 flight - past peak, still colorful

macfawlty

Reactions
As I gain experience in flying and filming, I attempt to achieve long single takes without flaws that require cutting out in post. I like to practice gentle turns, gimbal tilts, elevation changes, etc. all in a single take. While it's not the way I would typically cut a multi-scene video (3-5 second clips), I want the flight to look natural as if I were an eagle enjoying magic air at sunset. The full clip was about 5 min total without any major faults although it's not my best footage from the session.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
As I gain experience in flying and filming, I attempt to achieve long single takes without flaws that require cutting out in post.
Your video is very smooth, so I think you’ve succeeded in your goal.

Keep in mind that you maybe over focusing on the “art of flying smooth” and under focusing on other key elements.

Take “Post Production” as one example, as it does a lot more than simply remove flaws. Post Production is the “art of story telling”. The opening shot, the reveal, the close-up, the wow scene as the music crescendos, etc.

Reactions: passedpawn
Your video is very smooth, so I think you’ve succeeded in your goal.

Keep in mind that you maybe over focusing on the “art of flying smooth” and under focusing on other key elements.

Take “Post Production” as one example, as it does a lot more than simply remove flaws. Post Production is the “art of story telling”. The opening shot, the reveal, the close-up, the wow scene as the music crescendos, etc.
I agree entirely. An aerial filmmaker’s goal should be to conceptualize and execute the widest variety of shots to assemble into a finished product. This 2 min cut from single flight (of a 5 battery session) is only marginally useful for that purpose as there are so few moves and plenty of flaws. The sun was about to set and dropped behind the clouds and I was just biding my time to see if it would get to a golden hour. This area of the Potomac River is my closest practice locale outside of the NFZ around Reagan National Airport and while it’s a worthy practice area, it’s not the Dolomites. I have plenty of footage, but only took the time to export a few clips for demonstration purposes. I have a 2 year backlog of aerial footage from much more worthy locations I haven’t taken the time to edit. As my day job is mostly editing corporate video, flying is my escape from the editing station, so...

Last edited:
I agree entirely. An aerial filmmaker’s goal should be to conceptualize and execute the widest variety of shots to assemble into a finished product. This 2 min cut from single flight (of a 5 battery session) is only marginally useful for that purpose as there are so few moves and plenty of flaws. The sun was about to set and dropped behind the clouds and I was just biding my time to see if it would get to a golden hour. This area of the Potomac River is my closest practice locale outside of the NFZ around Reagan National Airport and while it’s a worthy practice area, it’s not the Dolomites. I have plenty of footage, but only took the time to export a few clips for demonstration purposes. I have a 2 year backlog of aerial footage from much more worthy locations I haven’t taken the time to edit. As my day job is mostly editing corporate video, flying is my escape from the editing station, so...
Wow!! A 2 year backlog of 5 battery filming sessions??!!! You must have 500 terabytes (?) of unedited video files. Where on earth do you store them all?

I’m ruthless in the editing phase and 90% of my video files (the poor ones) get permanently deleted.

Wow!! A 2 year backlog of 5 battery filming sessions??!!! You must have 500 terabytes (?) of unedited video files. Where on earth do you store them all?

I’m ruthless in the editing phase and 90% of my video files (the poor ones) get permanently deleted.
Well first, I just got my 2nd drone (MA2) a couple months ago, so I'm testing/practicing more recently, plus it was a beautiful afternoon on the river. I have 4 batteries for the M2P and 3 for the MA2. I'll buy a couple more in the spring. If I go to a destination, like Kauai & Maui 2 years ago, I'll fly a TON, even though they're 'family vacations'. I only did a couple short edits so far... sadly.

The amount of drone footage is almost incidental. I do other videography/photography/stock using DSLR's, Mirrorless, Blackmagic URSA Mini and BMPCC 6k (most recently). I'm up to 12 external drives, 4TB each for just personal stuff. My GREATEST fear is data loss, so I don't delete much of anything. SSDs, SD's, external drives and cloud storage is cheap.

Here's a short peaceful video from the Grand Hyatt Resort in Kauai.

Reactions: passedpawn
I only did a couple short edits so far... sadly.
Agreed, that is a little sad. Video editing is a lot of work, but the end result is usually worth the effort. Good luck finding the time and inspiration to catch up a two years backlog though. ?. Sounds very daunting.

Here's a short peaceful video from the Grand Hyatt Resort in Kauai.
Nice!

I’ve only created one video so far (link below), which is the beachside suburb where I live. I’m working on a second video now.

Agreed, that is a little sad. Video editing is a lot of work, but the end result is usually worth the effort. Good luck finding the time and inspiration to catch up a two years backlog though. ?. Sounds very daunting.

Nice!

I’ve only created one video so far (link below), which is the beachside suburb where I live. I’m working on a second video now.
Tremendous job, especially for a first video. So many great subjects. Whales? Dolphins? Seriously? Plus sailboats, surfers and who knows what else. I'd be flying every single day. Thanks so much for sharing that. I gotta drive 10 miles just to get out of the NFZ around DC. Still, I'm lucky to be a mile from the beautiful and underutilized Potomac River, an escape from the traffic, shopping malls and parking lots.

For whatever reason, I'm not that interested in publishing presentational edits of my drone footage. I just like flying, practicing moves and viewing footage. Here's a video I started working on from a week in Corolla, North Carolina (Outer Banks) in August. We owned a house there for 6 years, but I didn't have a drone back then. It just needs music and a cleanup.

Tremendous job, especially for a first video. So many great subjects. Whales? Dolphins? Seriously? Plus sailboats, surfers and who knows what else. I'd be flying every single day.
Thanks. Manly is an amazing place to live and there are plenty of things to film. So if the sun is shining, I usually go out try my luck.

Here's a video I started working on from a week in Corolla, North Carolina (Outer Banks) in August.
That’s a very good vid. Once you add some music, it’ll be rocking!

Yep, I find my editing is very tailored to the song I use.
You have to edit against your music track. Doesn’t work any other way. I’ll have to re-cut to fit, which is more work, but the cuts are pretty long, so not too much more. I abhor sourcing stock music cause it’s all pretty awful. I use a music producer compose all of my professional work. Looking forward to seeing more of your videos!

I abhor sourcing stock music cause it’s all pretty awful. I use a music producer compose all of my professional work.
I agree, finding the right song is really difficult.

Looking forward to seeing more of your videos!
Thanks! I’m hoping to finish and publish my next 3-4min video in about a month, weather permitting.

I gotta start flying more in Sport mode @60p. Getting bored, need a new challenge practicing moves and gimbal control in sport. Also want to practice more FPV mode on the MA2. It’s pretty cool when done well.

I gotta start flying more in Sport mode @60p. Getting bored, need a new challenge practicing moves and gimbal control in sport. Also want to practice more FPV mode on the MA2. It’s pretty cool when done well.
FPV would be cool.

You mentioned that you’re editing video professionally as part of your job. Do you also get to fly and practice filming as part of your job, or are you editing footage taken by another drone pilot and/or videographer?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j.bosco