DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why I didn't fly my drone in Iceland

KeithLa

Reactions
Thought I'd share how and why I wound up not flying my Mavic Pro Platinum in the course of the past 4 days touring Iceland's Golden Circle in the south, and Diamond Circle in the north:

1) Prudent restrictions: As others here have noted in this forum, drones are disallowed at all popular tourist sights, national parks, and protected natural areas, which constitute most of the must-see routes and places.

2) Marginal benefit: Even without a drone, you can take beautiful up-high handheld shots overlooking many noteworthy waterfalls, canyons, gorges. And in between those POIs are mostly vast plains with distant mountains, where aerial drone vantages don't add much value.

3) Wind (and rain): Weather varies, of course, but our two days in the Lake Myvatn area (which is itself a no-fly zone), in particular, were too gusty for safe flying (too bad, the rim of Hverfjall crater would have made a great dronie vid at sunset, and we were the only ones there)

4) Access: It's illegal to drive off road in Iceland, few places to pull over safely, and many small roads lead to private farm houses, even along the coastline.

5) Wildlife disruption, nesting birds in particular, but also horses

6) People: By mid-morning, there are hikers and tourists around any generally accessible point of interest or roadside viewpoint, even where drones are permitted.

7) Time/Stress: With hours of driving between sights and destinations on typical tourist itineraries, it's hard to work in extra time for side exploring to seek out interesting and legal drone spots, and distracting from the already rewarding Iceland experience to be obsessively wondering if there's one a mile that way, or up that trail, or around that bend. (And as mentioned above, car access is limited).

All that said, I'll stop short of recommending other hobbyists leave their drones at home, since I did come across one or two isolated spots I would have tried to get aerial shots or a dronie for social media, if weather had permitted. But my hindsight is that discovering interesting and viable drone spots here requires more time and flexibility than afforded by most car-centric, several day itineraries. I'm sure there are more possibilities for those dedicating full days to hiking, though again, many such trails are in no fly zone natural areas and parks.

I did have one drone-related experience in Iceland: My original MPP OEM battery swelled after charging in our rental car (using a DC charger that's been fine before), so I dropped it off at a Reykjavik recycling center, too risky to carry onto our next flights.

On now to rural France, here's hoping for better luck there.

Now that is a shining example of responsible drone ops.
No matter how tempting it may have been you respected the local rules, respected the local wildlife / other visitors, and showed great use of common sense.
Enjoy France and hope you get some air time there.

3.) One of the benefits of flying in the rain is that people do disappear and that opens some opportunity for tourist like places , that are legal to fly but just consumed by earthlings. Good luck in France .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

I was at the erupting volcano in iceland last week, and saw three drones flying at the same time.....the operators were all within 100' of me. There were certainly no crowds between them and the volcano/lava streams.

Thought I'd share how and why I wound up not flying my Mavic Pro Platinum in the course of the past 4 days touring Iceland's Golden Circle in the south, and Diamond Circle in the north:

1) Prudent restrictions: As others here have noted in this forum, drones are disallowed at all popular tourist sights, national parks, and protected natural areas, which constitute most of the must-see routes and places.

2) Marginal benefit: Even without a drone, you can take beautiful up-high handheld shots overlooking many noteworthy waterfalls, canyons, gorges. And in between those POIs are mostly vast plains with distant mountains, where aerial drone vantages don't add much value.

3) Wind (and rain): Weather varies, of course, but our two days in the Lake Myvatn area (which is itself a no-fly zone), in particular, were too gusty for safe flying (too bad, the rim of Hverfjall crater would have made a great dronie vid at sunset, and we were the only ones there)

4) Access: It's illegal to drive off road in Iceland, few places to pull over safely, and many small roads lead to private farm houses, even along the coastline.

6) People: By mid-morning, there are hikers and tourists around any generally accessible point of interest or roadside viewpoint, even where drones are permitted.

7) Time/Stress: With hours of driving between sights and destinations on typical tourist itineraries, it's hard to work in extra time for side exploring to seek out interesting and legal drone spots, and distracting from the already rewarding Iceland experience to be obsessively wondering if there's one a mile that way, or up that trail, or around that bend. (And as mentioned above, car access is limited).

All that said, I'll stop short of recommending other hobbyists leave their drones at home, since I did come across one or two isolated spots I would have tried to get aerial shots or a dronie for social media, if weather had permitted. But my hindsight is that discovering interesting and viable drone spots here requires more time and flexibility than afforded by most car-centric, several day itineraries. I'm sure there are more possibilities for those dedicating full days to hiking, though again, many such trails are in no fly zone natural areas and parks.

I did have one drone-related experience in Iceland: My original MPP OEM battery swelled after charging in our rental car (using a DC charger that's been fine before), so I dropped it off at a Reykjavik recycling center, too risky to carry onto our next flights.

I am sorry. but I disagree.

It is really regrettable that you did not take the opportunity at one of the most drone-centric places on the planet to fly. There are many areas that are not national parks, and that do not have signs. The place is huge, and there are many areas where there are no people for miles. Yes, you can take thousands of great images without a drone (which I did) , but the aerial images and videos can do wonders for your ultimate video production. Some of the bullet points above are really stretching the mind (wildlife and horse disruption?). My driver (my guide was from one of the biggest photo tour companies in Iceland) and he gladly pulled off the road for me many times, not only for a quick drone capture but for 30 minute timelapse shots. There are tiny pull outs, driveways, etc.

I will not hijack this thread, but will gladly send you my video on a private conversation if requested.

Dale
Miami

It is really regrettable that you did not take the opportunity at one of the most drone-centric places on the planet to fly.

Allow me to clarify, since the intent of my OP was *not* to say visitors shouldn't bother to fly in Iceland, but rather only to share what my own four day experience was, as a casual tourist on two of the main sightseeing routes. I infer from your reply -- local driver guide, photo tour company, ultimate video production, 30 min time lapses, etc. -- that aerial photography was a primary (or professional, even?) objective of your visit to Iceland, which was not my situation at all.

As I wrote, I surely had the hope and intent to get some aerial shots, but the necessary conditions didn't gel for the reasons I listed. Had we been touring at a more leisurely pace in more favorable weather -- ideally solo, vs. dragging my spouse along -- I'm sure I'd have had some successes, here or there, esp. hiking off road more than we did.

All that said, I'd love to see what you shot, so will head over to your SmugMug! :)

Last edited:
I was at the erupting volcano in iceland last week, and saw three drones flying at the same time.....the operators were all within 100' of me. There were certainly no crowds between them and the volcano/lava streams.
I definitely would have flown my drone out at Fagradalsfjall, had we gone out there and conditions permitted, but alas, they did not in our two days in the area. In fact, I read an official website that explicitly stated drones are permitted.

But talk about conditions needing to come together, capturing aerial footage there requires active lava (it's fickle) in daylight hours, dry weather, no/light winds, no fog, and time and energy to make the three hour roundtrip hike (plus two hour round trip drive from Reykjavik).

But the mountain didn't want us to leave without a send off, so gave us a show at 5 am this morning as we headed to the international airport. Attached was the view out of our Reykjavik hotel. :)View attachment IMG_20210902_053357603_HDR.jpg

It is really regrettable that you did not take the opportunity at one of the most drone-centric places on the planet to fly. There are many areas that are not national parks, and that do not have signs. The place is huge, and there are many areas where there are no people for miles. Yes, you can take thousands of great images without a drone (which I did) , but the aerial images and videos can do wonders for your ultimate video production. Some of the bullet points above are really stretching the mind (wildlife and horse disruption?). My driver (my guide was from one of the biggest photo tour companies in Iceland) and he gladly pulled off the road for me many times, not only for a quick drone capture but for 30 minute timelapse shots. There are tiny pull outs, driveways, etc.

I will not hijack this thread, but will gladly send you my video on a private conversation if requested.

Dale
Miami
I agree 100% with you Dale. All valid points. I was there in 2018 as the last stop in my Europe trip. I had lost my drone in Hungary and there was a drone rental store in Iceland but unfortunately they had all their drones rented out. Of all the places/countries on that trip Iceland is the one I wish I could have captured some great drone footage and photos. Truly a vast drone-centric landscape. I had my family, a 4 wheel drive diesel rental car and stayed in a nice Airbnb. Sorry OP had bummer weather.

I agree 100% with you Dale. All valid points. I was there in 2018 as the last stop in my Europe trip. I had lost my drone in Hungary and there was a drone rental store in Iceland but unfortunately they had all their drones rented out. Of all the places/countries on that trip Iceland is the one I wish I could have captured some great drone footage and photos. Truly a vast drone-centric landscape. I had my family, a 4 wheel drive diesel rental car and stayed in a nice Airbnb. Sorry OP had bummer weather.
Did you know that there is actually a DJI store in Reykjavik!!!! If I were in Iceland without a drone, I would have bought one right then and there.

If you watch my video, 90% of the drone shots are way out in the wilderness.

Dale
DJI Store-Reykjavik.jpg

Did you know that there is actually a DJI store in Reykjavik!!!! If I were in Iceland without a drone, I would have bought one right then and there.

If you watch my video, 90% of the drone shots are way out in the wilderness.

Dale
View attachment 134383
Yep I knew it Dale. I wasn’t sure which model to get and thought DJI was coming out with a new model. If I had to do it over again I would buy one “then and there” as you you put. My bad. I did get some nice images from my DSLR but the drone images and footage would have been so sweet.

It would have been really nice if you had even shared some of your handheld camera shots for us who have never been to Iceland.

Yep I knew it Dale. I wasn’t sure which model to get and thought DJI was coming out with a new model. If I had to do it over again I would buy one “then and there” as you you put. My bad. I did get some nice images from my DSLR but the drone images and footage would have been so sweet.
Now you have an opportunity to make lemonade out of lemons! Let me recommend Iceland Photo Tours. They run run small groups at a reasonable cost. The guide was an award winning photographer and taught me a lot, as you can see from my video with the slow-water images on the black sand beach, and the slow water images of the falls. He taught the use of ND filters for slow water images, and slow exposure images to make the water look silky. He knew I was flying my drone and never really objected to it. At situations where I thought there might be a problem, I practiced my usual STEATH flying. (look around carefully for people and authorities, rise fast to 130 feet, get the shot and come back fast. Out in the country, no problems at all. Many falls are not on the tourist map and the guide knows here these are. Here's a screen grab of part of their website. View attachment 134384
It would have been really nice if you had even shared some of your handheld camera shots for us who have never been to Iceland.
If you want Iceland videos and photos, I have some.

Photos. daledavisphotography.smugmug.com
Video. https:vimeo.com/user14373767

Attachments

• Iceland Photo Tours.jpg
    Iceland Photo Tours.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 33
Now you have an opportunity to make lemonade out of lemons! Let me recommend Iceland Photo Tours. They run run small groups at a reasonable cost. The guide was an award winning photographer and taught me a lot, as you can see from my video with the slow-water images on the black sand beach, and the slow water images of the falls. He taught the use of ND filters for slow water images, and slow exposure images to make the water look silky. He knew I was flying my drone and never really objected to it. At situations where I thought there might be a problem, I practiced my usual STEATH flying. (look around carefully for people and authorities, rise fast to 130 feet, get the shot and come back fast. Out in the country, no problems at all. Many falls are not on the tourist map and the guide knows here these are. Here's a screen grab of part of their website. View attachment 134384

Thank you, sir. That was fantastic. I am curious though. The original post indicated that it was an NFZ in most of the Parks and near waterfalls. Just asking about the wide mouth waterfall in your presentation from the 1:05 to 2:00 minute marks.?? It surely was spectacular.

Thanks Dale D. I appreciate it. That sounds like a blast and I like your stealth mood:) I don’t see Iceland on your SmugMug site. Your photos are ridiculously good! Thanks again for the info on Iceland Photo Tours. Can you give me your guides name?

Thank you, sir. That was fantastic. I am curious though. The original post indicated that it was an NFZ in most of the Parks and near waterfalls. Just asking about the wide mouth waterfall in your presentation from the 1:05 to 2:00 minute marks.?? It surely was spectacular.
That , my friend, was Skógafoss . I took off far from the falls, from behind a large clumps of bushes, flew high and fast and took a bunch of stills and short video and rapidly returned and packed it up. My usual stealth technique. I was not the only one flying a drone there.

Thanks Dale D. I appreciate it. That sounds like a blast and I like your stealth mood:) I don’t see Iceland on your SmugMug site. Your photos are ridiculously good! Thanks again for the info on Iceland Photo Tours. Can you give me your guides name?
Smugmug has a limit of 3 GB which my video exceeded. Could not publish my Iceland video. Go to the Vimeo link for the Iceland Vimeo or click here.
I actually had a big problem with the guide and complained loudly about him. He was excellent for teaching photography but the worst tour leader ever. He was captured by the only other photographer on our trip and left us stranded for hours at times to go with her. I complained to the company, I did not leave him a tip, and refused to eat the final end-of-trip dinner with him. I got a partial refund on the trip plus a $500 discount on another trip. The tour company itself is great, but the guide was trash. I never redeemed the $500 towards the trip.

Iceland is very hard to do without an experienced guide. They know all of the roads, and all of the tricks, and they bring you to places that other tourists cannot know about. Some falls in this video are totally off the tourist track. But they are humans, with personalities that you just have to put up with. My guy was a class A jerk but a great teacher. It all goes along with travel experiences that you just cannot predict.

Last edited:
See above, for one, here's two more. Nothing comparable to Dale's pro grade shots, thousands of tourists have identical pics to mine.

My point is minor, simply that as a regular tourist, there are great vantages to be photographed in Iceland, either from ground or air. So I'm not crushed by not getting to fly, but admittedly, I'm not the same depth of aerial photography enthusiast as many on here (don't have part 107, etc.).

The plethora of edited drone vids of Iceland online are impressive, by those with more time, dedication, and resources for exploring and discovering off the beaten tourist paths.

View attachment IMG_20210901_154621064_HDR.jpg View attachment IMG_20210829_123259041~2.jpg

Great reading about every ones perspective. I just bought the MM2, people don't react the same way when they see it. Still use the same technique, take off from behind bushes. Fly high, take my stills, short videos, and pack up and leave area. Appreciate everyone comments.

Dale
Miami
I agree. When I start planning my Iceland trip, I’m gonna hit you up for advice Dale. I‘ve flown in some pretty strong gusty winds along the North shore of Maui with my M2P and it handled it very well. I’d fly in the rain as well… with the wetsuit, of course. I always bring my drones when I travel. I’ve flown a lot this year although it’s been mostly driving destinations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe