DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AUVSI XPO

Vic Moss

Premium Pilot
Reactions
For those of you who couldn't make it to Denver a couple of weeks ago for the 2023 AUVSI XPONENTIAL, here is a very brief view of what was there. Unfortunately I was only allowed to fly before the floor opened, so I couldn't show as much as I wanted to. So I couldn't show any of the crowd. But attendance was great.

All of this video filmed on my Mini 3 Pro. All auto color and zero satellites. It did great. Very little post production needed.

And of course I started the video in our Colorado pavilion.

We also had a little fun with the FAA. Alex Suarez from MultiGP and FPV Freedom Coalition dove the FAA's tower at the show with is Tiny Whoop. And I filmed it from the top. That was a first. And that was fun. The FAA folks had fun with it too. See, they're human too! 😉

Man, what a great show. Too far for me as just a pilot, but good for you to go and report on it. Thanks. Did the companies have an outside area where they demonstrated their aircraft?

Great whirling props, the FAA has a sense of humor? Good to hear. I’m happy they had a booth, and I’m sure they were busy with questions. If there’s a show like that back east (and south) I’d love to go. Carry on Vic, and thanks again.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Man, what a great show. Too far for me as just a pilot, but good for you to go and report on it. Thanks. Did the companies have an outside area where they demonstrated their aircraft?

Great whirling props, the FAA has a sense of humor? Good to hear. I’m happy they had a booth, and I’m sure they were busy with questions. If there’s a show like that back east (and south) I’d love to go. Carry on Vic, and thanks again.
Atlanta and Orlando are usually in the rotation for XPO. Next year is San Diego, and likely Chicago after that. But keep an eye on it.

The other large drone conference is always in Las Vegas. That's Commercial UAV Expo each September. This year it's 9/5-9/7. Commercial UAV Expo | Expo & Conference on Commercial Drones

Reactions: bmcelya
They were buddies in the rdq lawsuit on remote id.
AUVSI had nothing to do with the RDQ lawsuit.

It was a pointless suit anyway. No standing.

AUVSI had nothing to do with the RDQ lawsuit.

It was a pointless suit anyway. No standing.
The court still upheld the remote ID requirement only because utm was taken off the table. But they'll have to use utm to employ bvlos. Utm was the whole intent to start with, but with logistical issues of getting cell service everywhere, utm was dropped at least for now.

Auvsi was pushing heavily for utm.

The court still upheld the remote ID requirement only because utm was taken off the table. But they'll have to use utm to employ bvlos. Utm was the whole intent to start with, but with logistical issues of getting cell service everywhere, utm was dropped at least for now.

Auvsi was pushing heavily for utm.
RID will be instrumental in long range BVLOS. That was the point of UTM.

It’s just been poorly implemented, that to DHS.

RID will be instrumental in long range BVLOS. That was the point of UTM.

It’s just been poorly implemented, that to DHS.
Adsb was supposed to be a satellite based system. The original creator of adsb says his design was heavily modified. Maybe in that case, adsb and remote id would've been using the same system?

Adsb was supposed to be a satellite based system. The original creator of adsb says his design was heavily modified. Maybe in that case, adsb and remote id would've been using the same system?
Nope.

The FAA, AOPA, ATO, and a myriad of other organizations are adamant about drones NOT using ADS-B out except under very specific waiver safety mitigations.

So maybe for long range BVLOS.

Nope.

The FAA, AOPA, ATO, and a myriad of other organizations are adamant about drones NOT using ADS-B out except under very specific waiver safety mitigations.

So maybe for long range BVLOS.
I'm just saying if it had stayed the way the adsb creator wanted it instead of the way it is now. Maybe an indicator that they were clueless even back then. Drones weren't really a thing back when adsb was being decided. We've messed up so bad with adsb, let's screw up again with remote id and now we wouldn't try to implement them together the mess we made of both of them. We're aviation, not technology innovators. Remote id nor adsb were really necessary, and haven't been fully adopted, but they can't let go of a bad idea. Adsb was approved before they really proved that it was viable. They can't even make adsb the primary radar system.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom