DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Average age of pilots on the forum

I will be 65 in May. Grew up with my dad flying RC planes back in the early 60's. Always had a interest in the hobby but wife and kids came first. 2015 I got back into it. Yuneec, Autel, Parrot and now DJI.
Been on several forums. Moderator on a few. Now just a pilot trying to stay healthy and enjoy life with this new normal.

I will be 62 in August. Started with tether planes in my early teens. Started in RC in the late 1970s with Heathkit RC gear, that could be used with cars, boats & planes. Because 6 meters was the preferred radio band to use, that got me into HAM Radio.

Drones got me back into "things that fly" :)

I will be 65 in May. Grew up with my dad flying RC planes back in the early 60's. Always had a interest in the hobby but wife and kids came first. 2015 I got back into it. Yuneec, Autel, Parrot and now DJI.
Been on several forums. Moderator on a few. Now just a pilot trying to stay healthy and enjoy life with this new normal.
I just successfully passed my 80th birthday......I have been flying for 3 years and on my 3rd 'bird'. I love my MA2 and the chance to fly with my feet on the ground! What a blessing.

Reactions: Glenn54
I just successfully passed my 80th birthday......I have been flying for 3 years and on my 3rd 'bird'. I love my MA2 and the chance to fly with my feet on the ground! What a blessing.
Congrats.... It's always good to wake up on the right side of the grass.

I will be 62 in August. Started with tether planes in my early teens. Started in RC in the late 1970s with Heathkit RC gear, that could be used with cars, boats & planes. Because 6 meters was the preferred radio band to use, that got me into HAM Radio.

Drones got me back into "things that fly" :)
You are what I would call a "youngster." Dale (1938)

Started in the '70s with a Mattell? Kenner? Whatever, Vertibird. Then a Cox free-flight helicopter, then a Cox hovercraft; none radio controlled.
Put them down for many years then in 2006 or 07 got an AirHogs Helix (coaxial, two blimp-like side thrusters), an an AirHogs Havoc (PiccoZ rebrand). Then RC helis. Still have a Trex 470 and 450 and a Blade Nano S2.
As I've gotten older the eyes and reflexes can't keep up as well with those twitchy blenders-of-pain so tried a drone in December '21, a Mini SE. Digging it so far.
Turned 55 in October '21.

I'm blessed enough to be in a position at a relatively young age to be able to enjoy this hobby. I do find that I'm usually one of the younger folks, even in my mid 30s (I look probably mid 40s being a little overweight and lots of gray though, ha!). Regardless, almost everyone I have met has been great irrespective of age.
I must have been a ****. I wasn't blessed as you were and didn't have time for my hobbies until early seventies. Wish I knew why God had it in for me.

57. Started flying hot air balloons when I was 15. Got my Airman's Cert when I was 21. Then started driving trains. Bought a Mini 2 a month ago and am trying to wear it out. I reckon a 107 Cert will be next.

I must have been a ****. I wasn't blessed as you were and didn't have time for my hobbies until early seventies. Wish I knew why God had it in for me.
Mr Buttonwood: sorry as hear you were not blessed. But according to the ancient manuscripts, "God never wants to do wrong and never temps anyone else to do it," I am 76 myself, and had to work hard all my life, and never had time for drones either. But never blamed God, mostly it was bad choices I made, and in the wrong place at the wrong time. Had to answer you, don't like God getting a bad rap. This is not the forum to talk about this, but if you wish we can continue on e-mail.

Reactions: Chris4koi
I’m 82. From Northern Quebec. A retired geographer who flew a Cessna 172 for 12 years mainly taking air photography and infrared remote sensing for research. Now, I’m flying an old Mavic Air for the last 4 years. At my age, what a chance to still be doing geographic footage my two feet on solid ground! I crashed it 10 times, but the bird is still flying. A chance I was not sitting in my Cessna…ah! Happy flying to all of you!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000