DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Average age of pilots on the forum

An earlier comment said that this hobby is not physically demanding, I beg to disagree- Photo 1 this is where my MP2 vanished in a forest in Galicia, northern Spain. No path near, up a steep hill, brambles. My wife and I have been back for three years - no sign. If I knew exactly which tree it is in I would have cut it down.

Photos 2 and 3. New Mini2, same area, I backed it into the same hill, but lower down. I was not going to let this on get away - torn apart by brambles, feet and arms, it took me an hour to get it.
Both times absolutely shattered.
I'm 73, and still havn't lost the Mini yet.
Drone flying can be a killer!

Attachments

• IMG_4380.jpeg
    IMG_4380.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5698.jpeg
    IMG_5698.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5684.jpeg
    IMG_5684.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
if I can earn enough money
Had a thought — does your liability insurance cover flying commercially?

If you don't know, you should check. It can get expensive, but a good start would be an on-demand model like Skywatch that offers per-flight insurance so if you aren't getting many contracts at the start you aren't paying an arm and a leg.

I was thinking about doing real estate photography, and that's the insurance I would have gone with — specifically the per-flight model as I wasn't planning on doing a huge amount of business. (I viewed it as a way of making my hobby pay for itself, rather than earning a lot of money.)

This video might be of interest to you. There's a lot of 'how to' videos for aerial real estate photography of variable quality but this chap is pretty good.

I'm not sure if the forum staff has the ability to run averages but it would be interesting to know the average age of pilots on this forum. I see a lot of guys my age (60s) and above.
I take comfort in knowing that 10 years from now I will still be flying. I think engaging in a hobby that requires skills on several levels keeps us young.
Well I’m 67 and still a big kid at heart
My partner can’t see why I bought my DJI Mini 2 but who cares….,,I’m happy and I love it
Keeeeeeeep flying!

69 going on 30...

Started with a $40 toy drone, then a Spark and the latest being an M2Z. Always been fascinated by flight. Got my Private Pilots License at 17, but between university and then a family, haven't managed to stay current.

Boats and motorcycles then became my passion. Eventauly sold the boat (Boat = hole in the water you throw money into) but still ride my Goldwing and Magna to places to fly my drone. :cool:

Love retirement but can never remember what day of the week it is...

Last edited:
I'm 58 and just bought my first drone this year. Flying drones and seeing the world from a bird's eye view is AMAZING. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. These are shots from in and around Mobile, Alabama. These are fuzzy because I'm still learning. What are the best sources for learning to edit still and video footage? I have access to adobe premier pro and other editing software through my high school where I teach. Thanks for any help. View attachment 140571View attachment 140570View attachment 140569View attachment 140566View attachment 140568
Hello neighbor! Great shots of Mobile

i think the age demographic is largely based on how much time semi retired ,and retired members have to do their flying ,and also spend time editing their videos ,and also that reflects on the amount of time they have to spend on the forum itself
this hobby does take up a lot of time and when people are younger they have family and work commitments, that lesson considerably once they retire
of course that does not mean that we dont have grandkids and younger family members to assist ,but overall we are better placed to be able to give the time to this hobby that it requires,and not forgetting one more thing, we do tend if we are lucky ,to have more spare resources available, to afford the ever rising costs that this hobby involves
58 here, fly a paramotor also. Both are very relaxing and fun.

Reactions: Chris4koi
Our Google Analytics trends show the following for all visitors to MP. However, I would agree that the members who post tend to be on the older side of these demographics. Probably due to time availability and the younger folks tend to post more on social media.

25-34 = 27.4%
35-44 = 23.92%
45-54 = 16.91%
18-24 = 15.92%
55-64 = 9.6%
65+ = 6.22%
@clackey Thanks!! It looks like the 55+ folks are actually in the minority. So, @old man mavic was right. Us older guys just have more time on our hands.

@clackey Thanks!! It looks like the 55+ folks are actually in the minority. So, @old man mavic was right. Us older guys just have more time on our hands.
A month over 65 here,and I think he is right ,us older guys have more time on our hands.
I just started flying a year and a half ago,so I feel like I am just getting started.

I'm now 63, still not ready for retiement just yet. I've been flying RC for the last 50 years plus as well as full size a/c as a FTO covering all military aircraft. Started with my drone flying some 10 years ago, first with self builds and as time progresses and getting ever more reliable H/W got some pretty decent mutirotors and now owning a few dji drones with their fantastic cameras for both video and still shots make this a very imersive hobby, which I hope to continue for a long while yet :). A
ll the very best wiches for everyone for 2022, Happy and Safe flying werever you are :)

Reactions: Wreckhunter
hey guys i am 15, Love flying with drones! i have drones for 3 years now, first the mini, then the ma2, now also the ma2(i fell in love with these)...

61, currently own 8 Drones, with the latest being the M3 Cine, haven’t had the opportunity to fly it yet to to weather, absolutely love the hobby, and am seriously considering getting a 107 licens.

Reactions: Chris4koi

The older I get, the better I used to be. 😃

I had no experience flying anything other than a paper airplane or a kite in my past.

I'm past the half century mark with my age and still punching a time clock.

But with the help of the Spark / Mavic Forums since 2017, I tend to learn a little something new everyday with my hobby. ☺️

Thanks everyone. ☮️

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett