DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Average age of pilots on the forum

I recently turned 67. Health issues have caused me to give up various hobbies, fishing, motorcycle riding, etc. Not complaining because I'm still walking and breathing. I think I will be able to handle drone flying physically. Only time will tell if I still have enough brain cells to learn and progress.

Reactions: Chris4koi
I'm not sure if the forum staff has the ability to run averages but it would be interesting to know the average age of pilots on this forum. I see a lot of guys my age (60s) and above.
I take comfort in knowing that 10 years from now I will still be flying. I think engaging in a hobby that requires skills on several levels keeps us young.
I'm 77. Some of us list our ages on our profiles, which appears to the left of the messages. Many of our seniors not only have the time, but have already put our kids and grandkids through college, leaving more discretionary $$$ for hobbies.

I'm not sure if the forum staff has the ability to run averages but it would be interesting to know the average age of pilots on this forum. I see a lot of guys my age (60s) and above.
I take comfort in knowing that 10 years from now I will still be flying. I think engaging in a hobby that requires skills on several levels keeps us young.
You are still young....I'm sneaking up on 77 and not slowing down....yet! My photo is 3 years old as a Sheriff's Reserve Deputy. Life is good. Keep flying!!!!

I got my first drone summer of 2020, Mini 1 and since have graduated to the Mini2 this past summer. I am76 with mobility issues and find this a great hobby flying the Mini 2 while sitting in a comfortable camp chair. This summer I got out at least 3 times per week and recorded a few SD cards with videos that I am now editing over the winter.

Proud to say I am 83, and into photography since age 8 years old. I've been through every phase, including my own dark room, enlarger, trays, etc. Started with pre-Nikon cameras,, then first Nikon, the Nikon F, and stayed on the Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) pathways for years, but stopped at Nikon D750. Got into timelapse at age 75 and into drones age 78. Then video editing. I've been to over 100 countries, and to African safaris 13 times. Never had more fun than when I am flying the drone. So far, have resisted the mirrorless systems.

Dale
Miami
I'm 80, just got my first drone, photographer since mid-1950s. Leica IIIc, first Nikon F, various digital cameras culminating with my third Canon reflex, the EOS-R. I love mirrorless/full-frame, despite the complexity requiring a 630-page manual. Time-lapse, astrophotography, enjoying a $70 "Trail camera" aimed at my birdbath with 2x closeup lens attached with tape to get in close. I guess I "major" in vintage sports-car photography and enjoy posting race photos from the late 1950 on motorhead Facebook sites. All my children can run a wet darkroom, though I doubt they will ever get the chance.

I'm 60. Dabbled a bit in "gas" powered helicopters back in the late 80s, had a "Shuttle XX" helicopter, but crashed it more than I flew it. Bought a Parrot AR 2.0 drone when they first came out. Enjoyed it, but very limited range and no wind resistance.

Bought a P4 in January 2017 and have been immersed in DJI products ever since. I had just about every DJI drone between the P4 and the M2P including a Mini 1 and Mini 2, Air 2, Air 2S, MP, M2Z and M2P. I retired as a LEO in April 2021, and prior to that ran my organization's Drone program for 4 years, flying a variety of drones including MEZ, MED, and MEA. I oversaw drone procurement and maintenance and trained all of our new pilots.

According to Airdata, I have just over 362 hours flying time in 1644 flights. My highest hours are on my original P4 - 85 hours. Just over 83 hours on a work MEZ that was used for daytime search and rescue, and 24 hours on the MED that was used for night time FLIR searches. I stayed on as a Reservist, so still have a work MEA at home, and get called out at all hours to look for "bad guys" or lost persons, which keeps the adrenaline going.

I am fortunate that my wife also enjoys flying and has a P4 and a MM2. I still have 2 P4, a MM2, a M2Z, and a M2P. I have been looking hard at the M3 and will likely get one eventually, but would like to see a few more bugs worked out.

I hope to be flying for a lot more years and great to see everyone's replies to this thread.

Wow, I feel kind of young here! I’m 60 but I started my flying back in the mid-1970’s when I took flying lessons even before I started driving. I got my Private Pilot’s license decades ago and kind of petered out when they started charging $150-$200/hr for a Cessna!! Thought it might be cheaper to buy my own Piper Arrow but came across this drone thing a few months ago, and I love it!! I started out with a Mavic Air 2s then picked up a Mini 2, a Holy Stone HS720E, a Mavic Mini and a Mavic 3. I’m retired military (22+ years) and former semiconductor manufacturing field service engineer. Great hobby and way more affordable than an hour in a Piper Saratoga SP!!

Next month I will be 85.

I use my drones to get out for a regular walk every day, so nowadays all my costs for drones have to be charged to my health account.

Now I am so lucky that I have good nearby areas to fly in, and we have not been prevented from moving around during the CV-19 Pandemic.

I’m 64. Most, if not all of my flights are from boats. Mostly stationary. Good to hear in my 80’s I’ll be able to use my HSA to buy my next drone. 😀. Got a MA2s for Christmas and will be selling my MA2 to my 70 year old friend.

Reactions: Chris4koi and TTP
For some it is not a hobby, it is their employment. I am 58, been running my business, Drone-Scapes since 2017. Also an drone instructor at Skyop LLC since 2020

56. I am a home inspector. I started so I can inspect roofs and chimneys without climbing a ladder. My hobby has always been fishing. I never was into photography but this thing is amazing. I now take it with me when I head to the lake and the sunrises and sunsets I have loved seeing are now being captured from a much better angle and I can share them with my wife. Looking forward to getting better at the photography part of droning.

Our Google Analytics trends show the following for all visitors to MP. However, I would agree that the members who post tend to be on the older side of these demographics. Probably due to time availability and the younger folks tend to post more on social media.

25-34 = 27.4%
35-44 = 23.92%
45-54 = 16.91%
18-24 = 15.92%
55-64 = 9.6%
65+ = 6.22%

Reactions: AVLJMA and MA2 317
65 now, started at 62. After I retired in April 2020 I was able to spend time pursuing my hobby. Spent 21 yrs working on aircraft but never got to fly so this is as close as I can get.

Closing in on 78 and can relate to many of the stories told. A lifelong photographer the drone was a logical extension.
I jumped in with the Mavic Air 2 because of the Return to home and obstacle avoidance.
I do some real estate photography, so I took and passed my 107 with a 86 on the first try.... but since my short term memory sucks, so it took a month of study and review to get the knowledge into long term.
Flying really helps maintain coordination ....and opens up a world of new composition.

So nice to read these stories- thank you all for sharing! At 69, I sometimes feel 100 and like it's too hard to learn new things. I still fly my Mavic 1 because I know it. You all are an inspiration- maybe this spring I'll check out the Mavic 3!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt