DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Average age of pilots on the forum

I ran into a dude at Best Buy yesterday buying his first drone. He told me he was 80. Nobody was helping him so I did. He considered the M3 but I talked him into an Air2S. We went over the cameras and he decided he didn’t need the M3 but was willing to spend the extra $300 or so for the S over the basic MA2.
Sounds like you did good,I have the air 2 myself and want to upgrade.
But to what is still unknown.

Reactions: Glenn54 and Rchawks
I'm 62 and started flying rc sailplanes at 22 (which as a newlywed my wife hated) and flew every single chance I got for 25 plus yrs. Had a 10 yr break from flying after a radio induced crash of my bird and finally moved to drones 2 yrs ago.

Last edited:
Sounds like you did good,I have the air 2 myself and want to upgrade.
But to what is still unknown.
I would be interested in something in between the DJI MA2s and the M3, but that's not on the board yet. $2200 is a bit too much at this age for me to invest. After working on a photo project for someone I realize after I retire I'm not going to be interested in making money with it. It's just too much work. I just love the flying and looking at the pictures and video.

I would be interested in something in between the DJI MA2s and the M3, but that's not on the board yet. $2200 is a bit too much at this age for me to invest. After working on a photo project for someone I realize after I retire I'm not going to be interested in making money with it. It's just too much work. I just love the flying and looking at the pictures and video.
I know exactly what you are saying.I am retired as of three years now.I may wait until there is an upgrade for the air2s,I don't really know yet.
The price of the M3 is kinda out of hand right now.This is a great hobby to have.
Have a good one

Reactions: Rchawks
Proud to say I am 83, and into photography since age 8 years old. I've been through every phase, including my own dark room, enlarger, trays, etc. Started with pre-Nikon cameras,, then first Nikon, the Nikon F, and stayed on the Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) pathways for years, but stopped at Nikon D750. Got into timelapse at age 75 and into drones age 78. Then video editing. I've been to over 100 countries, and to African safaris 13 times. Never had more fun than when I am flying the drone. So far, have resisted the mirrorless systems.

Dale
Miami
I'm 58 and just bought my first drone this year. Flying drones and seeing the world from a bird's eye view is AMAZING. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. These are shots from in and around Mobile, Alabama. These are fuzzy because I'm still learning. What are the best sources for learning to edit still and video footage? I have access to adobe premier pro and other editing software through my high school where I teach. Thanks for any help. Screenshot_20211109-181507-846~2.pngPhoto_6553887_DJI_287_jpg_4723496_0_2021109182516_photo_original~2.jpgdji_export_1640232041764.jpgPhoto_6553857_DJI_257_jpg_4329674_0_202110917110_photo_original.jpgdji_export_1638050268206.jpg

Attachments

• dji_export_1637613069541.jpg
    dji_export_1637613069541.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • Photo_6553731_DJI_131_jpg_4284624_0_202192718314_photo_original~2.jpg
    Photo_6553731_DJI_131_jpg_4284624_0_202192718314_photo_original~2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
What are the best sources for learning to edit still and video footage?
I quite like Stewart and Alina (formerly Drone Film Guide) on YouTube:

Reactions: Rchawks
I’m 58 but to be honest it seems the technology has only recently evolved enough to capture my interest, I’ve played with lots of toys throughout my life and although Rc has been around for decades it required a dedication and real engines and fuel lol. Reliable gps and stable flight is pretty cool stuff that was futuristic in the 80s and 90s… but I would have probably gotten one back then…. Assuming I could afford it on a Navy salary

I'm 58 and just bought my first drone this year. Flying drones and seeing the world from a bird's eye view is AMAZING. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. These are shots from in and around Mobile, Alabama. These are fuzzy because I'm still learning. What are the best sources for learning to edit still and video footage? I have access to adobe premier pro and other editing software through my high school where I teach. Thanks for any help. View attachment 140571View attachment 140570View attachment 140569View attachment 140566View attachment 140568

I quite like Stewart and Alina (formerly Drone Film Guide) on YouTube:

Robert, thank you VERY MUCH. I started flying a Mini 2 late Sept and have lots of video and images I want to edit. I've tried some of the Adobe tutorials but they aren't easy for me to follow. I just passed my pt107 last week and plan on making extra money with real estate photos(and maybe videos) and other drone related jobs starting early January. Another question- I have a limited budget but was hoping if I can earn enough money would the Air2S be a good step up from my Mini 2. I'm quite new with droning. Thanks again for any advice. Merry Christmas!

Reactions: Chris4koi
Well let's see... At a young age we were given line control planes for Christmas. You know the that you fly in a circle with gas engines. Christmas day each year we opened them up. How cool are these. Our Dad got first flight. Yeah, half a circle up in the air and straight down... Smash. Turns to my brother and says I know what I did wrong. He made it 3/4's around and up and over our heads and again it ended in a big smash and splatter. Next year the same thing. 3rd Christmas however my Mom intervened and said you are not to touch those boy's planes. We learned to fly them.

Later as we were in college, my brother and I bought my Dad one of those planes and had him fly it on Christmas morning for the nostalgia of it. When he crashed it the rubber banded wings would come off. We could continue with a simple repair. I continued to build and fly balsa and fabric built line controls. Back in those days a remote control units were so expensive they were out of reach for us.

In College I bought a package deal with remotes and a gas engine glider. Learned to fly, crashed it many times. Crashed it good and built a new one. Then life took that usual turn. Kids and life. All went on hold for decades. Then at 50 with the advent of battery powered planes and ready to fly I picked the hobby up again. Now at 63 and my brother at 62 we both have jumped into the Drone world. Being a photographer, it was great to have a new angle and a great steady platform to shoot with.

During the time between that first glider and later. I became a pilot and owned a Cesena 172. Had so much fun flying it with friends and family. But now with the advancement of the electronics, position hold, smart flight, GPS, RTH and a great camera I love this new hobby.

Last edited:
I
Well let's see... At a young age we were given line control planes for Christmas. You know the that you fly in a circle with gas engines. Christmas day each year we opened them up. How cool are these. Our Dad got first flight. Yeah, half a circle up in the air and straight down... Smash. Turns to my brother and says I know what I did wrong. He made it 3/4's around and up and over our heads and again it ended in a big smash and splatter. Next year the same thing. 3rd Christmas however my Mom intervened and said you are not to touch those boy's planes. We learned to fly them. I continued to build and fly balsa and fabric built line controls. Back in those days a remote control units were so expensive they were out of reach for us.

In College I bought a package deal with remotes and a gas engine glider. Learned to fly, crashed it many times. Crashed it good and built a new one. Then life took that usual turn. Kids and life. All went on hold for decades. Then at 50 with the advent of battery powered planes I picked the hobby up again. Now at 63 and my brother at 62 we both have jumped into the Drone world. Being a photographer, it was great to have a new angle and a great steady platform to shoot with.

During the time between that first glider and later. I became a pilot and owned a Cesena 172. Had so much fun flying it with friends and family. But now with the advancement of the electronics, position hold, smart flight, GPS, RTH and a great camera I love this new hobby.
remember back, probably 9 or 10, I had one of those helicopters that was attached to a wire, it just went in circles but had a hook so you could try to hover and pick stuff up

I

remember back, probably 9 or 10, I had one of those helicopters that was attached to a wire, it just went in circles but had a hook so you could try to hover and pick stuff up
Yeah I had one, amazing toy for what it was. one of those unopened in a original box would be worth some bucks now.

Reactions: Artemis
Yeah I had one, amazing toy for what it was. one of those unopened in a original box would be worth some bucks now.
Vertibird-'73 or so. Loved it-had one just like the attached picture. Near the same time Space 1999 was on T.V. Today's drones would've blown us all away back then. We'd have been like, "No WAY!!" IMPOSSIBLE.

Screenshot_20211224-005337-009.png

Reactions: Barbara
would the Air2S be a good step up from my Mini 2
What would the Air 2s get you that the Mini 2 doesn't have, and would that be worth the cost to you?

In terms of your business you have to make the call yourself.

As a photographer* I know that the camera is less important than the brain behind it, but sometimes you do need certain gear to get a shot. It is, however, easy to fall into the 'I could take batter pictures if I only had…' trap.

*I'm not really a pilot. I view my drone as a camera with a 120m tripod :)

What would the Air 2s get you that the Mini 2 doesn't have, and would that be worth the cost to you?

In terms of your business you have to make the call yourself.

As a photographer* I know that the camera is less important than the brain behind it, but sometimes you do need certain gear to get a shot. It is, however, easy to fall into the 'I could take batter pictures if I only had…' trap.

*I'm not really a pilot. I view my drone as a camera with a 120m tripod :)
True, true. Good advice. I'm amazed at some of the Mini 2 photos and videos I've seen on YouTube. I'm sure most realtors just need good shots of their properties- not perfect or cinematic.

This toy was great fun, my brother and I flew it over the course of a year or so as kids with no damage. I come back yrs later to find out my two young cousins destroyed it in ONE day of playing. To say I was upset would be understating it.:mad:
While we're on the subject, does anyone remember the helicopter arcade game around the same time period? It was similar in design principle but at the arcade level with little trees and cars and buildings like you would see on model railroad sets. It of course was completely enclose behind a glass case. This was long before the digital arcade.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos