DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Awesome Waternish Sunset, Skye...

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Our week away to Skye has been plagued by high winds, rain, and poor visibility, limiting the drone flying - rather annoying - but we did have a good Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning, which were fully taken advantage of!!

Tuesday evening it looked good for a sunset, so we set off at 1000pm and arrived at the far end of the Waternish Peninsula - 6 miles up the road from the cottage in Stein for about 1010pm, giving us 20 minutes to set up and capture the sunset at 1029pm...

Anyhows, here is the chill-out sunset we experienced - well I did, Lee was being chased around the field by the fierce midges!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ssshh! Don’t let too many people know what a spectacular island this is! 😎

I was fortunate to spend many, many months there when I lived in the UK years before Game of Thrones was screened and swamped the island with visitors wanting to see the filming locations.

At least the incessant midges keep some of the hoards from paying a second visit and spoiling the once peaceful island and blocking the single lane roads. I still have many friends on Skye and the Outer Hebrides who see GoF as a mixed blessing.

Skye’s sunsets (and sunrises) bring back many happy memories and driving back to Portree from the northwest coast to get to the pub before the doors were locked - while looking out for sheep sitting in the middle of the road.

Ssshh! Don’t let too many people know what a spectacular island this is! 😎

I was fortunate to spend many, many months there when I lived in the UK years before Game of Thrones was screened and swamped the island with visitors wanting to see the filming locations.

At least the incessant midges keep some of the hoards from paying a second visit and spoiling the once peaceful island and blocking the single lane roads. I still have many friends on Skye and the Outer Hebrides who see GoF as a mixed blessing.

Skye’s sunsets (and sunrises) bring back many happy memories and driving back to Portree from the northwest coast to get to the pub before the doors were locked - while looking out for sheep sitting in the middle of the road.
Lol, unfortunately I think the secret is out...

I first visited in 1982, before the bridge, for a wild wet and windy week of midges, laughter and fun with my family, swimming off Staffin beach in September, fishing with my father from a small boat and lots of fun playing cards in the caravan...

Since then I have returned thrice for a week at a time, 2020, 2023 and 2024, and numerous day trips when in other areas of Scotland for a holiday, GoT has never been the driver for my visits, more the timeless beauty nd wildness of the island, I love it here - but then again I love Lewis and Harris and Orkney too...

When we retire we are moving north, probably on the mainland, but holidays will definitely see us return to the islands as often as we can...

s for the midges, only 2 bites for me - SMIDGE is wonderful - but hubby is plagued by them, he is my sacrificial offering so they eat him and leave me alone while I am flying the drones :)

Reactions: SkyeHigh
Our week away to Skye has been plagued by high winds, rain, and poor visibility, limiting the drone flying - rather annoying - but we did have a good Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning, which were fully taken advantage of!!

Tuesday evening it looked good for a sunset, so we set off at 1000pm and arrived at the far end of the Waternish Peninsula - 6 miles up the road from the cottage in Stein for about 1010pm, giving us 20 minutes to set up and capture the sunset at 1029pm...

Anyhows, here is the chill-out sunset we experienced - well I did, Lee was being chased around the field by the fierce midges!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Beautifully filmed

Dale
Miami

• Love
Reactions: AlbionDrones
Awesome!

Never mind the midges, it is the amount of motorhomes/ campervans that frequent these locations now that puts me off travelling to them. Publicity about the NC500 means that the roads to and from these places are used more and more by people who either ignore road etiquette or don't know the correct way to drive in those areas. Especially on single track roads with passing places.You were fortunate that you only had 6 miles to travel from your accomodation to capture that glorious sunset. I do envy your trips round the North and Northwest. Well done again!

• Love
Reactions: AlbionDrones
Never mind the midges, it is the amount of motorhomes/ campervans that frequent these locations now that puts me off travelling to them. Publicity about the NC500 means that the roads to and from these places are used more and more by people who either ignore road etiquette or don't know the correct way to drive in those areas. Especially on single track roads with passing places.You were fortunate that you only had 6 miles to travel from your accomodation to capture that glorious sunset. I do envy your trips round the North and Northwest. Well done again!
Thanks... we visited Neist point that day, and debated staying there for the sunset, but the huge amount of folks - and the knowledge they would all be driving away at the same time - put us off, so we elected to go back to Waternish nd the viewpoint we have visited earlier in the day, which worked for us...

Yes, I can understand this, and tbh it was as much the gawkers traveling at 35mph in a 60 zone that was annoying, perhaps more so than the camper vans - our trip home should have taken 8hr 30, but it took 11 hrs, and the delays were all from Skye through to Glasgow, absolutely pathetic driving and no consideration for anyone else...

I don't mind sharing the road, nor in having folks around who want to drive at a snail's pace, but if they could just notice the 50 cars, vans, buses, and lorries that are trapped behind them and stop at one of the many empty parking spaces that they ignored to allow the rest of us to speed up then it would be just great... I'm thinking of leaving at 3a next time to come home, then we can be through the highlands before the bimbling drivers are out of bed...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiremobiledevelopers