DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Backup Battery

For what purpose? I don't know of anything (besides something that is the size of a car battery) that will recharge a Mavic battery. As for back-up charging your phone or RC, I really love Anker stuff. This one has been around the world with me over the last two years, and has been excellent. There is an updated version here.

Reactions: Trini_MP
Power bank? As in to charge the controller? Any will do just fine. I will mentioned that right now Walmart has some cheap ones on clearance for $1.50. I've tested them and they will charge the controller while it's being used. I've not used it enough to know the duration but I suspect it would double the life of the controller charge.

It's in the auto section of Walmart. They are 2000mah and black in color. The size of a lipstick. There are also white ones that are 5000mah for $4.00 but they are much larger.

This is if you want something on the cheap that still works.

Reactions: Trini_MP
I recommend to use DJI's USB adapter for the flight batteries. This way a battery used for flying with 20% charge left can be used to charge the controller or the mobile device.
No need to carry separate power banks.

If you mean for mavic batteries, this may do the trick. Didn't know it existed until recently, but would have suited when I was looking. If you just want for controller, any battery pack will do pretty much.

https://myenergen.com/shop/dronemax-m10-portable-drone-battery-charging-station/

I haven't got one, so can't comment on it, just letting you know there are some out there that can handle the mavic batteries :)

Reactions: GooterFly68
If you are thinking about your phone I use a mophie case to keep my iPhone topped off at 100% just before flight. For me the phone is the first device to run out. Swapping with an iPad with bigger battery will give me more flight time and I can charge the phone while flying with the iPad.

If you are thinking about your phone I use a mophie case to keep my iPhone topped off at 100% just before flight. For me the phone is the first device to run out. Swapping with an iPad with bigger battery will give me more flight time and I can charge the phone while flying with the iPad.
I don't have the phone battery draining issue at all since I'm on an Android, which is trickle charged while in use by the RC. My RC is more than adequate to run for the duration of four full Mavic batteries while still keeping the phone charged (ie: net zero battery use), at which point I'm recharging everything anyways.

I recommend to use DJI's USB adapter for the flight batteries. This way a battery used for flying with 20% charge left can be used to charge the controller or the mobile device.
No need to carry separate power banks.

Does that come with the Fly More Combo? So you can charge the RC from the usb port at the bottom?

If you mean for mavic batteries, this may do the trick. Didn't know it existed until recently, but would have suited when I was looking. If you just want for controller, any battery pack will do pretty much.

https://myenergen.com/shop/dronemax-m10-portable-drone-battery-charging-station/

I haven't got one, so can't comment on it, just letting you know there are some out there that can handle the mavic batteries :)

I saw those, but the math doesn't really work out that well -- if you're looking to fly continuously, you'd need 6 full batteries to start with, and then use that device to recharge the first two batteries while you use the other four. Then you'd have two fresh ones again, so you'd end up with 8 batteries worth of flying. If that's all you want, maybe this is ok, but remember at that point the device needs 4 hours of AC charging to be ready to recharge 2 batteries.

If I was going that far, I think I'd just have 8 batteries to begin with. The 2 extra cost only a little bit more than the Energen, and there are fewer cords and devices to deal with.

In 4 hours of charging you could recharge 4 Mavic batteries from 20%, for just the cost of a second charger (assuming quick turnaround is a factor) or even go to one of the third party 4 in 1 chargers that charge batteries simultaneously.

I'm glad companies are making stuff like this, and hopefully future ones will pack more charging power...but battery technology is not there yet. Short of bringing a portable generator into the field, we will be continuously challenged by the limitations of our batteries.

Does that come with the Fly More Combo? So you can charge the RC from the usb port at the bottom?
You cant charge from the USB port on the bottom. That one is data-only. You have to charge via the micro-USB on the side of the RC.

You cant charge from the USB port on the bottom. That one is data-only. You have to charge via the micro-USB on the side of the RC.

How do you use that cabke to charge the RC from the Mavic battery then?

You plug the little adapter into the Mavic battery. Then use a standard USB cable from the adapter to the micro USB on the top left of the RC. Like you normally charge it anyway.

You plug the little adapter into the Mavic battery. Then use a standard USB cable from the adapter to the micro USB on the top left of the RC. Like you normally charge it anyway.

Ah yes. Sorry, I haven't looked at it since I unboxed it. Thought it came with a cable that was a standard USB

For me the battery was for situations where you are out in the wild, away from wall socket/charger for some time. Sometimes I'm out to a location 3 hours + drive. Sure can charge batteries on way, but once there, no where to charge.

If Ur spending a day at location that's where it comes in handy. Back to back non stop flights is best with more batteries for sure, but out on a location for the day, where 3 batteries may not cut it. As u can use as phone charger and mavic battery charger it does it all.

+ it's under the 100w limit for aircraft carry on too.

When I was looking for new phone battery pack I wish I saw this. I put for those who didn't know it existed :)

Three spare batteries and the Car Charger usually gets me through the day. And a 20,000 mAh general phone charger to charge the remote control if I'm away from the car.

Cheers
Ian

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom