DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Backup drone | Alternate or hold back?

Felix Wolter

Reactions
Dear forum members,
since several years a fly a M2P for the documentation of archeological sites. As some of them are in very remote locations, I always was a bit nervous about losing my precious bird and not to be able to finish the job. Since this week I own a second identical M2P, which boosts up my battery stock to 7 and also my peace of mind. :)

Now I find myself in some kind of dilemma and would like to get you informed opinions.
A.) Should I keep one of the birds as a "fresh backup" just flying it occasionally to check the function?
B.) Or should I fly them alternating to "use them up" in the same speed before I'll have to replace them completly?

My old M2P has roughly 200km in it, the second one I bought used - I think, it was in the air much less. The next upgrade will not be in the M2P range anymore but I will step up to whatever is on the market then. I'd like to get some 3+ years from the two birds I have.

I would be very greatful for your input and thoughts both from a economic and a flight security perspective. Maybe I am not the only one in this situation?

Thanks a lot and save flights!
Felix

Last edited:
Reactions: rickmurray1989
Felix, I own several drones that I fly commercially. While there are a couple of them that see more use due to better cameras and more functionality, I make it a point to inspect and fly each of them at least once a month to make sure that they remain airworthy. It also serves as a pilot reminder about the individual flight quirks and flight characteristics of each aircraft so that I can fly them reliably and safely.

Reactions: GFields
...Or should I fly them alternating to "use them up" in the same speed before I'll have to replace them completly?
The only thing's that will "use them up" is:

1. You crash & destroy them
2. DJI stops supporting the necessary software needed to have them airborne
3. DJI (& 3:rd party) stop provide the market with necessary accessories like batteries & props

As you most probably will use all your batteries no matter if flying one or two M2P's... they eventually will be "consumed". The flight hours or distance will not put any special strain on the drones, making them be "used up"... I think that always have one of them grounded will make it more outdated (not updated, not inspected & not taken care of )

Reactions: hiflyer201
I will always have more than one drone in my fleet. I also take at least two with me to do a job. So, unless I get into a financial bind, I'm keeping mine. So, I'd keep it as a back-up (unless you need the money)

I'd pick the best one for camera output, best flight characteristics, etc, and opt with option A, fly the other one occasionally to ensure it's all ready as a back up if / when needed.

It's more important to use all 7 batteries in sequence, managing them as per best battery practice.

As said above, I completely rotate my operational equipment & track it’s usage in Airdata. It’s no good having a backup that yr nervous about when it’s needed.

IMO I think there will be subtle differences in flight characteristics and, after some experimentation, I’d fly the one you have the most confidence in. The backup should be flown at least once a month though. Best wishes.

Thanks guys for the input! So there are apparently different opinions towards the topic.

complete equipment rotate vs. tested "save queen" back-up.

Of course, I'll test the backup regulary and the batteries will rotate. For the two drones themselfs I didn't decide yet. For now I do not see any difference between the two M2Ps in flight, and I hope it stays like that.

Airdata seems helpful, but I am a little hesitant for the 7$ monthly fee for the equipment managment. Is it really worth it or will a excel table do the same job? Is it possible to enter a "starting" kilometers for the second-hand "new" drone in airdata, as I do not know its flewn kilometers?

The thing with flown kilometers is really a non issue... for example, a drone flown 100 times longer than another can anyway be in a better mechanical shape than one with low kilometers but flown much in dusty or moisty conditions & on top of that not been taken care of. Most of the mechanical wear comes from how the drone have been treated... not distance flown.

Airdata is good for following up your batteries though & giving you some means to judge when it's time to take them off flight duty... this as very little of battery wear is visible on the outside, instead it's thing's like voltage drops, cell deviations, reached temperatures & remaining capacity that matters. If you have all logs flown with your 2 M2P's there, Airdata can create trend material for you to judge by, they are valuable as single flight battery behaviours don't say much.

Of course this can be done manually with reading the logs & transfer the data to Excel ... but it will be very time consuming.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54