DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Backup processes?

kking009

Reactions
Just curious as to what everyone's backup processes were for your footage? Do you use external hard drives, laptop, online services, etc?

I use a 256GB flash drive to backup any videos and photos that I think are worth keeping. I also keep my absolute favorites on the Mavic's SD card and my computer, that way I have them stored in three different places making them hard for even me to lose. -CF

Reactions: kking009
Personally, I move all content from the SD card onto a HDD in a desktop. That automatically gets backed up to an external drive connected to that desktop and that external HDD gets backed up onto a network HDD connected to my router. When I shoot, I usually get content from the Mavic and from other cameras. I create folders with the name and date of the shoot and then create sub-folders with the name of the camera (such as, "Mavic"). If I'm shooting in the same place on multiple days, I create sub-folders for each day. I don't save files from different days in the same folder (I've over-written files this way).

Each person how their own needs and ways to store data. It's not a one size fits all. This is what works for me.

Thank you all for responding. I have a portable hard drive and some things get backed up online but I'm planning on taking more trips this year which means more footage so I was just trying to get some ideas of what to do.

For trips you might want to get additional SD cards then upload them at home when you get back. I have several SD cards and its easier for me to transfer it to computer then cloud.

Reactions: kking009
For $150, you can backup every video you shoot for the next 4 years with your Mavic (or plenty of other things) with an 8TB Seagate external drive (very reliable drives):

http://a.co/1qCTyuv

The same (identical) raw drive costs $280, despite the fact that it's the exact same drive inside the external case. For internal hard drives, I just buy the external drive, crack it open, toss the shell, and remove the drive, saving $130 in the process. It's identical to the other drive, except it's already been formatted properly, saving me that step. You can always keep it in the enclosure if you wish to use it that way instead.

Reactions: BeefStew
Whatever backup you decide on, make sure you have a backup for your backup and keep that at a different location so a fire or other disaster doesn't take them both out.

Whatever backup you decide on, make sure you have a backup for your backup and keep that at a different location so a fire or other disaster doesn't take them both out.

That is the best way.. at least the backup should not be connected to the same computer as the original file. My situation was a bone-head move but my backup drive was an external drive connected to my computer. I was swapping out the main HDD for a SDD and accidently formatted the external drive. Two bone-head moves... not disconnecting the external drive first and then formatting it by mistake. But this is one reason why the backup should be separate. Network drives are great and easy for this purpose (not as good as a more remote drive but still easy). Connect it to the wifi router and use software to back up once a day or a few times a week. Every company makes these network drives now so they are easy to use.

That is the best way.. at least the backup should not be connected to the same computer as the original file. My situation was a bone-head move but my backup drive was an external drive connected to my computer. I was swapping out the main HDD for a SDD and accidently formatted the external drive. Two bone-head moves... not disconnecting the external drive first and then formatting it by mistake. But this is one reason why the backup should be separate. Network drives are great and easy for this purpose (not as good as a more remote drive but still easy). Connect it to the wifi router and use software to back up once a day or a few times a week. Every company makes these network drives now so they are easy to use.
backing up on a external drive and if your in the ''field'' also requires a laptop to transfer so i bought a 1 tb wifi drive with a sd slot to remove files from mavics sdcard

I have 2x 3TB WD mypassport wireless pro
Has internal battery, SD card slot & USB port, can set it to automatically copy or move contents of inserted media to drive

Was perfect for when I went traveling, I kept one & the wife kept the other

I have 2x 3TB WD mypassport wireless pro
Has internal battery, SD card slot & USB port, can set it to automatically copy or move contents of inserted media to drive

Was perfect for when I went traveling, I kept one & the wife kept the other
i was going for 1 of those but the size of the asus sold me

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've been looking in to this one it's a little more than I wanna spend right now but since it has editing capabilities it would be great for quick uploads while on the go.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daviscj91