DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad colours on photos

Ping^Spike

Reactions
Hi everyone, your regular newbie is seeking some more photo advice please.

Still new, still struggling...

Does the forum upload preserve the metadata in a photo?

This was taken early this morning here in the UK, approx 7am.

I was approx 75m high.

The sun is behind the clouds, to the right hand side of this pic.

My issue is the colour of the green trees on the left. I know England has some great looking countryside and all that, but nowhere is *this* green :)

DJI_0098.JPG

And the metadata, in case not available via the image itself:

exif1.jpg
exif2.jpg

The red bricks on these houses are way off too. In this shot, the sun is still behind the clouds but now it's directly behind me (therefore illuminating directly in front of this shot).

DJI_0099.JPG

I'm struggling for a couple of reasons, one, the glare on my iPad screen is just ridiculous, I can barely see the fine detail. The other reason I'm guessing, is the lighting conditions.

Based on the above pics, can anyone tell me what settings I should try to change?

One thing I might try tomorrow is to hover in a fixed location, take a pic, change the setting, take another pic, change the setting, etc - and do this so I have one pic for each setting, then compare them properly when I get home. Any other tips for working out the best settings for the lighting conditions?

Thankfully this time I flew without the gimbal cover on :rolleyes:

I have no ND filters (not skilled enough to know what to do with them yet)!

You can do it without flying, more confortably and longer at home (inside, where you can "see" the screen of your ipad), placing your Mavic outside (window, balcony, garden, etc).

One thing I might try tomorrow is to hover in a fixed location, take a pic, change the setting, take another pic, change the setting, etc - and do this so I have one pic for each setting, then compare them properly when I get home. Any other tips for working out the best settings for the lighting conditions?

Whats the problem? Just adjust colour balance either in the mavic (maybe you had cloudy setting here when 'sunny' might have given you more realistic colours) - or better yet select whatever colour balance you like in your photo editor in post.

Shoot in RAW for more latitude... and you might want to pull back the saturation a fair bit with a custom colour profile in the Mavic photo settings menu itself. .

@Mauri59 Ha! Great idea, why didn't I think of that before?!

@doccy Thanks! I have a feeling the balance is still on auto - will check this tomorrow!

Check this out!

The ONLY thing I changed on today's flight was the colour balance, I moved it to 'sunny' as per @doccy suggestion and the difference is worlds apart!!

I need to play with it some more but the colours are about a hundred times more accurate already!

Dji_0124.jpg Dji_0126.jpg Dji_0127.jpg Dji_0128.jpg Dji_0132.jpg Dji_0133.jpg Dji_0140.jpg DJI_0143.JPG

Thanks for the help and advice everyone, I'll try more settings on tomorrow's flight :D

You
Check this out!

The ONLY thing I changed on today's flight was the colour balance, I moved it to 'sunny' as per

You mean white balance. Your shooting in jpeg so your only going to get so much data from an image. Shoot in RAW. If your not use to RAW files, download them to your mobile and edit in Snapseed. It's extremely forgiving but one of the most powerful and intuitive RAW editing apps available. Once you get it, you'll never want jpeg files again.

As others have pointed out your files are jpg and in sRGB colour space which is very limited

I'd like to know how many have a quality monitor and spent time to calibrate gamut, to (properly) benefit raw.
In the digital "age", I see a lot of highly mainly manipulated images (HDR).
Moreover, 99,99% of viewers, watch images, using uncalibrated monitors and doesn't know even what is gamut. (not counting wrong or "not ideal" connections)
Finally, in 21th century, we have gone back to the era of painters, where the image is nearly 100% "post processed" (often automatically) to expresses feelings, or to catch attention, rather than reproducing reality.
;)

As others have pointed out your files are jpg and in sRGB colour space which is very limited

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803