DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad Mavic 2 Remote Controller Cable (Lightning connector)

PezRacer

Reactions
Is it common for this little wire to go bad? I couldn’t figure out why my phone wouldn’t connect to my controller until I bypassed this wire and used a normal iPhone charging wire, a usb to lightning plugged into the center of the Controller. And then it connected no problem. Is it worth it to buy another wire or just continue to use this workaround?

you are better off connecting using the bottom usb you can get a 12 inch one that is perfect for the job the small wires are prone to issues and you need to remove it when you use the bottom one, another advantage to using this method is the fact you can use a power bank plugged into the side charging port to keep your controller charged if you have a android device which use up a lot of controller battery when in use

Reactions: Thomas B
Note that when you use the bottom port to connect to a phone, you need to be sure you don't have any of the included short cables connected to the side port or else that disables the bottom port from providing a data connection. Having a charging cable connected to the side as Old Man Mavic is OK though.

Reactions: Thomas B
I got one of these for my MP / iPad mini 4 setup when purchasing a Lifthor mount.
These sprung cable are brilliant and the angled connectors = very user friendly, out of the way nicely . . .

Lightning, micro USB, USB-C, US$15 not cheap, but free ship and they are long life / reliable.

Is it common for this little wire to go bad? I couldn’t figure out why my phone wouldn’t connect to my controller until I bypassed this wire and used a normal iPhone charging wire, a usb to lightning plugged into the center of the Controller. And then it connected no problem. Is it worth it to buy another wire or just continue to use this workaround?
I had problems connecting initially from the side of the remote to my Moto G4 play phone using the supplied cable. I forget how I got things working, but it finally connected. I think I may have gotten it to work by connecting via USB to the bottom of the remote, then back to the original cable. It was weird, for sure. Now I'm using an iPod Mini 4 connecting to the bottom of the remote with no issues.

...if you have a android device which use up a lot of controller battery when in use
Can you not switch off the RC to phone charging in the Android Go 4 app? It’s certainly an option with an iDevice.

Can you not switch off the RC to phone charging in the Android Go 4 app? It’s certainly an option with an iDevice.
no but you can reduce the amount it uses by shutting down any apps that are not needed and stop cache to device so your pics do not get saved on your device this will help

That won't do much. The Android is going to pull whatever the RC is willing to give it until the Android's battery is charged.
I believe it is limited to 500mA, which is the original USB specs.

I have seen a YouTube video (don't recall who or where unfortunately) which dealt with the fact that the side connection is very susceptible to damage with repeated insertions particularly if tried the wrong way round which is easily done. The guy in the video had damaged his and apparently mega expensive to repair and not a user repairable issue.

As a novice user I go with the more robust USB slot underneath which since I have iPad mini or CrystalSky to choose from is anyway necessary for me but I would suggest as others have that this is the way to go and keep the side connection for very occasional use.

I would perhaps be concerned at whether the side connector is damaged and whether it is that which is unreliable rather than the cable.

I have the exact same issue. It's the port in the controler/cable. I got it to connect one time..sending it back and getting a new one..

I have had the same issue on a new Mavic 2 Pro. With mine, the controller is seen by the app, but not the drone. It seems to be the cable itself. The internal port is available online for cheap money. Just to cover the bases, I replaced the internal port on mine and the problem is still there, so I have to assume it is the cable. I purchased a new cable and it still has an issue, but not as often. Connects perfect using lower port, but I like the tiny cable design.

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.
I prefer the USB port as it is less fragile and easier for me to access.

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.
I prefer the USB port as it is less fragile and easier for me to access.
When I switch from my phone to an iPad mini that I need to get the screen fixed on, I will no doubt switch to the other port too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters