DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Balcony take off?

N3M3SIS2ALL

Reactions
20170613_154019_HDR.jpg 20170613_154019_HDR.jpg Ok guys so I just got to my room and the balcony door is about open arms length wide, if I start in the room on tripod mode and exit out do you think it would be safe? I read on one thread where they were saying it depends on the material of the balcony and if there are balconies next to it..... which is all stuff I would have never thought was a factor. Balcony is made up of mostly concrete and glass with a steel railing.
Also made the mistake of asking if I could use my drone around the hotel, he didn't say no but he said it would be best not to. So I figure I quick run thru the window would be discrete. And I can follow the tops of the buildings so I wouldn't be over any people.

I'm talking about a mavic, soooo i don't know if I should have posted here or general discussions

View attachment 14991 View attachment 14991 Ok guys so I just got to my room and the balcony door is about open arms length wide, if I start in the room on tripod mode and exit out do you think it would be safe? I read on one thread where they were saying it depends on the material of the balcony and if there are balconies next to it..... which is all stuff I would have never thought was a factor. Balcony is made up of mostly concrete and glass with a steel railing.
Also made the mistake of asking if I could use my drone around the hotel, he didn't say no but he said it would be best not to. So I figure I quick run thru the window would be discrete. And I can follow the tops of the buildings so I wouldn't be over any people.

I would take it off from that table. Wait until you get sat lock and just make sure to take off manually and don't hit the ceiling. Or you can get sat lock and then hand launch over the edge. I have done both and there is nothing to it. Learning to hand launch is a vital skill if you ask me, as is catching.

Don't know about flying indoors (because I have never tried it personally) but I am taking off from hand and landing in hand regularly from my balcony. First attempt was tricky and nervous but it is now very easy for me to do.
There are few methods for hand take off and landing. I always disable downward sensor.

Ok great, yea my initial thought was to hand launch it but I forget who or what thread it was where the guy said to not hand launch it, but I think like you said if I manually launch instead of auto launch would be best, thanks....I'll film me launching it in case anything goes bad, lol.

I would take it off from that table. Wait until you get sat lock and just make sure to take off manually and don't hit the ceiling. Or you can get sat lock and then hand launch over the edge. I have done both and there is nothing to it. Learning to hand launch is a vital skill if you ask me, as is catching.

What's the point?

Because I want to fly it real quick without feeling bad about not listening to a strong suggestion not too. They guy basically suggested it was a privacy issue because everyone wearing bathing suits, and I just want to do a couple of runs down the beach. And being a noob I think it would be cool to fly it out the balcony.

For sure it is not absolutely safe.
But I've done that on a small metal balcony on a hotel in Tokyo. It started with compass error and no GPS. You need good flying skills to bring it up and out and hover in place until it acquires GPS reception.

Yea, I'm a newbie in every sense of the word. Probably wait till my last day, it will hurt less if something goes wrong.

For sure it is not absolutely safe.
But I've done that on a small metal balcony on a hotel in Tokyo. It started with compass error and no GPS. You need good flying skills to bring it up and out and hover in place until it acquires GPS reception.

Reactions: Seph Blaze
Yea, I'm a newbie in every sense of the word. Probably wait till my last day, it will hurt less if something goes wrong.
As long as you can get a GPS lock (10+ satellites) while on the balcony you should be fine. Just do NOT use the auto launch in the software. Manually launch it so that it only raises up a few feet. From there gently and slowly raise it up to the right height and fly out. Do NOT use Return to Home either.

Should be OK but definitely on the riskier side.

Please keep us informed of the final outcome. I don't see this ending very well honestly. You have a big chance of losing signal if it goes beside or behind any other buildings. Good luck!

Please keep us informed of the final outcome. I don't see this ending very well honestly. You have a big chance of losing signal if it goes beside or behind any other buildings. Good luck!
The safest thing to do is to reset RTH point to some place which is safest to land and which he can see from balcony. That way when mavic loses signal, it will go to that point. Eventually he will regain signal and stop RTH. I have lost signal many times while flying from balcony and regained it quickly when mavic started RTH automatically.

Should he also be concerned about the antenna farm on the rooftop on the left?

20170613_154019_hdr-jpg.14994

Attachments

• 20170613_154019_HDR.jpg
    20170613_154019_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 689
All points made about GPS lock and possible compass errors are valid. However, as a noob (your self description) you may want to think twice about it. If it were me, and there was no chance someone could be standing below me (over another roof for example) I'd probably go for it. If there are walkways or areas where people are standing/sitting I would not even think about it.

I just would not want to be in a position where I am so stressed or nervous that I don't have fun.

However, to each his own - let us know how it goes if you decide to do it. Oh, and don't forget the video :)

Reactions: flightmike
If you want to do a run down the beach then go to the beach as it does not look too far away, We were given legs for a reason and beaches to lie on and fly from. Seems a waste of a **** good beach to risk your Mavic from a balcony when you can just walk to the beach and keep everything nice and sweet.

I am not against a balcony launch or even a balcony lunch come to that, but get some sunglasses on fly from the beach and all is cool, unless of course by flying from the balcony to do a run down the beach you want to be looking at more than the sand and water close up.

View attachment 14991 View attachment 14991 Ok guys so I just got to my room and the balcony door is about open arms length wide, if I start in the room on tripod mode and exit out do you think it would be safe? I read on one thread where they were saying it depends on the material of the balcony and if there are balconies next to it..... which is all stuff I would have never thought was a factor. Balcony is made up of mostly concrete and glass with a steel railing.
Balcony launch:

Pros:
1.Don't have to carry 700g of compact drone to a safe launch point.

Cons:
1. Might result in a 1000 + dollars down the drain.
2. Plenty of loss of GPS/Compass error risk
3. No RTH options.
4. Wife will go bananas
5. Hotel manager will go bananas
6. Miss out on a nice walk to a safe launch site on the beach.
7.stress from a risky flight will diminish your enjoyment.
8. Potential shame of having to hear the words " I told you so"

If it was my choice, I'd fly it from the balcony [emoji3]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidwujr