DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Bare Feet in Strange Places : Little Jerusalem, Kansas

Dear Tentoes: (apt name by the way)

I loved your little film- wonderfully filmed. The hyperlapse sunset was the best and you really stayed with it even when most people (like me) would have stopped at the sunset. You waited for the after-sunset glow. The epic music (The Lost Cities by Johannes Bornlof) was very fitting.

Can you please tell me the settings for the sunset? e.g.: ?hyperlapse mode? interval, number of frames per sequence (like 125)????

Dale
Miami

When I go to shoot a time laps sunset, I switch to auto exposure and see the numbers it uses for ISO and SHUTTER. Then I switch to manual and set those figures. Then I take the ISO down a couple notches, or the SHUTTER up. This brings out the colors more. Play with these a little to see what looks dramatic. Ideally, you want ISO of 100, but I've used up to 400 with nice results.

For the actual Time Laps, I use the MA2's "Course Lock" feature. To set the course, I point the drone the way I want it pointed, then turn roughly 90 degrees (use the map to see this) and set the course. If my battery is fresh, I set the duration to 20 seconds or so, and the frame rate to one every 2 seconds. A second of video is a minute of flight. I set the speed of the drone to as slow as it will go. Then turn back and frame the subject and hit the camera button. I start with the drone 800 to a thousand ft out (300 meters) and have it fly back over me. You'll cover a couple thousand feet shooting this. Once it's done shooting, you want a few minutes of battery to fly back to you. Plan. Once it's done, it takes a minute or so to process the time laps. Once that is done you can up the ISO so you can see through the camera. Since I set my exposure pretty dark, it was not as dark as the video when I handed my drone.

The end of the time laps was shot by my Osmo Action on a tripod. I set it up about the same way and just shot along. You can see me packing stuff up.

Somebody told me to use the waypoint feature: Take off and set where you want it to be at the end of the shoot. Then fly out a long way and set the second waypoint. Reverse these and set it going. The drone will finish right near you. Haven't tried it yet.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
When I go to shoot a time laps sunset, I switch to auto exposure and see the numbers it uses for ISO and SHUTTER. Then I switch to manual and set those figures. Then I take the ISO down a couple notches, or the SHUTTER up. This brings out the colors more. Play with these a little to see what looks dramatic. Ideally, you want ISO of 100, but I've used up to 400 with nice results.

For the actual Time Laps, I use the MA2's "Course Lock" feature. To set the course, I point the drone the way I want it pointed, then turn roughly 90 degrees (use the map to see this) and set the course. If my battery is fresh, I set the duration to 20 seconds or so, and the frame rate to one every 2 seconds. A second of video is a minute of flight. I set the speed of the drone to as slow as it will go. Then turn back and frame the subject and hit the camera button. I start with the drone 800 to a thousand ft out (300 meters) and have it fly back over me. You'll cover a couple thousand feet shooting this. Once it's done shooting, you want a few minutes of battery to fly back to you. Plan. Once it's done, it takes a minute or so to process the time laps. Once that is done you can up the ISO so you can see through the camera. Since I set my exposure pretty dark, it was not as dark as the video when I handed my drone.

The end of the time laps was shot by my Osmo Action on a tripod. I set it up about the same way and just shot along. You can see me packing stuff up.

Somebody told me to use the waypoint feature: Take off and set where you want it to be at the end of the shoot. Then fly out a long way and set the second waypoint. Reverse these and set it going. The drone will finish right near you. Haven't tried it yet.
I am greatly indebted for you taking the time to type this out for me. I am struggling with this forever, and now I have something to work on.

I am greatly indebted for you taking the time to type this out for me. I am struggling with this forever, and now I have something to work on.

Let's see you shoot some cool sunsets now!

Oh! I played with the waypoint feature today. Use that instead. MUCH easier.

I am deathly afraid to try waypoint.

Take off and climb to a reasonable altitude.

Point drone at subject.

Set first waypoint.

Fly a ways off. You can climb, turn, change the gimbal.

Set second waypoint.

Click the ...

Select Reverse.

Set interval and duration.

Click the shutter button.

Aircraft will fly back to you shooting your time laps!

A soon as it stops raining here I'll give it a try. Here is what is going on with our weather!Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 8.21.58 PM.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro