DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Barrel distortion (Curved horizons)

If you use Davinci Resolve to post process Dlog-M or HLG, simply add a node and apply the "Lens Distortion OFX", click "gang" (default) and set the values to 0.2 for HQ mode and 0.28 for FULL mode. Makes it perfectly square exactly like the DJI lens correction for Normal mode..

@The Film Poets, thanks a lot, can you do it for the HQ mode?
You're right that HQ needs it as well. It's not as bad though. I thought this would be a quick fix to use until DJI updated, but a few emails that I've seen seem to imply that this is a consequence of making room for processing 10 bit color. So we'll all need an HQ fix as well. Give me a couple of days.

Thanks for this, i tested it this morning when the video first went up and its a big help (and saved me the effort of trying one myself). Works nicely.

Seems like the distortion is such an easy fix for something you will be doing post correction for anyway.

I didn't know what any of it meant but now I can see it being a pretty easy workflow.

Seems like the distortion is such an easy fix for something you will be doing post correction for anyway.

I didn't know what any of it meant but now I can see it being a pretty easy workflow.
Barrel distortion correction should exact and has to take into account the falloff from the center. You can make the edges straight and still have distortion closer to the middle. It's best to do it once with a chart and then always apply those settings.

Barrel distortion correction should exact and has to take into account the falloff from the center. You can make the edges straight and still have distortion closer to the middle. It's best to do it once with a chart and then always apply those settings.
Hey so thanks for posting that.

Fyi: I’ve been using a profile (and preset) you made for Neat Video. I gotta say, nice job on that.

You're right that HQ needs it as well. It's not as bad though. I thought this would be a quick fix to use until DJI updated, but a few emails that I've seen seem to imply that this is a consequence of making room for processing 10 bit color. So we'll all need an HQ fix as well. Give me a couple of days.

Thanks! Looking forward to your next video about M2P best settings and your DLOG-m LUT :D

I haven't got my drone yet but I just registered an account here to thank you for what you did here! I am sure I will use it once my drone arrives. I also subscribed your youtube channel for any future videos!

One question tho, is the fix the same (or almost the same) as the one that DJI used to fix the Normal profile? Is there any situation that this fix will not work so that I need to pay attention when shooting in Dlog-m, like horizontal far from center or right on center or tilt the camera?

I haven't got my drone yet but I just registered an account here to thank you for what you did here! I am sure I will use it once my drone arrives. I also subscribed your youtube channel for any future videos!

One question tho, is the fix the same (or almost the same) as the one that DJI used to fix the Normal profile? Is there any situation that this fix will not work so that I need to pay attention when shooting in Dlog-m, like horizontal far from center or right on center or tilt the camera?

The correction profile I made was copied from DJIs own internal correction on the normal profile. It’s all All Full fov clips, no need to worry about distortion if you’re using this. Will have an hq add on soon. Here’s the direct link to the free download : Mavic 2 Pro Distortion Correction

Hey so thanks for posting that.

Fyi: I’ve been using a profile (and preset) you made for Neat Video. I gotta say, nice job on that.
How do you use neat video to correct barrel distortion? I thought it was a noise reduction plug in.

How do you use neat video to correct barrel distortion? I thought it was a noise reduction plug in.
I think you'll find the barrel distortion correction file link under the Film Poet's Youtube post. The other references to noise reduction is for his plug ins to run within Neat Video. The former is free (woop!) but the latter's you can buy to run within NV.

IFTFY.. Mavic 2 Pro - Distortion Correction - Film Poets Education

The first sentence was a thank you for what they posted on barrel roll. The second (ie the “FYI”) was supposed to be an aside. It had nothing to do with the barrel distortion discussion. I bought some luts and the noise profile from them. I like them. Especially their Neat Video profile. At the time I was traveling and didn’t have time to make one myself.

@The Film Poets, thanks for the fix for video, it works perfectly as you probably know. Do you have any plans for fixing the barrel distortion in stills, when post processing in Photoshop?

RAW files have an embedded profile to fix distortion at least in Lightroom they are auto fixed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert