DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

basic questions about range and SC losing connection

speedbird_1

Reactions
Got my MA@ with SC, my first drone after cutting my teeth on cheap $60 drones that I flew inside the house for the most part.

Since I really don't have much to compare to, here's my question:

Been flying the drone in my neighborhood, working on maneuvering. I live at 252 feet above sea level and am amongst one of the highest points within 40 miles. We live in suburban Long Island, lots of trees.

Been trying to get my drone to my friend's house, about 1.4 miles away and it constantly gets a very low signal in a certain area. Nothing but residential homes in the area. Its goes to a very low signal as sometimes briefly says AC lost connection altogether! I freak for a minute & then it regain signal and I anxiously bring it back home.
From what Ive read, it dense sound like a range issue so much as an interference issue, am I right?

With my MA2 I've done 3.5 miles across absolutely flat land and I wasn't on a hill. I've also done 3 miles when on a small hill with lots of trees between me and the drone. I returned because of battery, not because of signal.

I've also lost signal and had a RTH at about 2.5 miles out.

I'm rural and I fly in areas with no houses, no roads, no people. I wonder if interference plays a part in your issues. In Long Island, you'll have lots thousands of pieces of equipment sharing the same frequencies with your drone and controller.

Probably interference from devices in residences. I get signal loss when houses are between me and AC; I can go much further wit signal loss when flying over lake without houses between AC and me.

If interference is the issue, getting AC higher might help.

Thanks. ill attempt 1200 ft and experiment. ive so many apps regarding drones and faa zones and places to fly. Are there apps That highlight interference zones like WiFi? Etc?

There’s a general altitude limit imposed by FAA, which I think is 400 feet. (I haven’t gone over 200 feet myself.)

Reactions: speedbird_1
If you want to play with distance go out away from the city . If you can get away from all people and building then play around . Remember your controller needs a clean line of site to your drone for signal . As soon as something gets between your controller and drone your signal strength takes a whooping .

But are bare trees that much of an issue or is residential wifi the bigger issue?

From your high perspective, could you see your drone (if it was large enough, or if you used magnification) from your command location, when drone is above your friends house? (MA2 should easily cover 1.4 miles, without obstructions.)

With XM radio near a certain intersection in the county south of me, the signal is weak or lost. I know XM satellite and WiFi are on different frequencies but I bring it up to show a location can have radio interference. So that residential area may be generating noise that has you lose RC/AC signal.

You might consider a Yagi signal booster. They make a 5.8ghz better for strength of signal in built up areas, & a 2.4ghz better for extending range in clearer non built up areas. They are relatively inexpensive. I bought one of each on eBay, & use either of them depending on my surroundings.

Got my MA@ with SC, my first drone after cutting my teeth on cheap $60 drones that I flew inside the house for the most part.

Been flying the drone in my neighborhood, working on maneuvering. I live at 252 feet above sea level and am amongst one of the highest points within 40 miles. We live in suburban Long Island, lots of trees.

Been trying to get my drone to my friend's house, about 1.4 miles away and it constantly gets a very low signal in a certain area. Nothing but residential homes in the area. Its goes to a very low signal as sometimes briefly says AC lost connection altogether! I freak for a minute & then it regain signal and I anxiously bring it back home.
From what Ive read, it dense sound like a range issue so much as an interference issue, am I right?
I’ve had similar problems. Be sure to check your signal strength and GPS strength and adjust your controller and antennas and see if the strengths change. Many times it just takes a little direction adjustment. The further out you go the more important the direction of antennas.

I bet interference as I have the same setup and 3-4km is no problem if rural area and obstruction-free.

Thanks all for your input. As a noob (and also apparently a boob,) I'm 100% in the wrong. While I know 400AGL is the rule, I did go higher just to experiment for a brief moment in time.

All that said, Im a boob because I was flying in my neighborhood which is a LOT of tall trees over 60 feet tall and I would fly it and completely lose VLOS. I was relying on the camera view, nothing more. Sounds boorish on my part. Lesson learned. So I will experment with clear VLOS and Im sure it would be fine.

I was experimenting with range, not understanding that VLOS is so important.The trees tower over my house (foreground) and the roof of the house across the street (background) is level with my front door....Hilly with trees LOLFE4B3C78-A7C0-49E7-B3C1-A63AE6990F62.jpeg

What altitude are you flying at trying to travel 1.4 miles?

Reason I ask is when I am out in the boondocks, nothing to fall out of the sky on and going for distance I fly at 395' altitude for best reception...

I have been getting 16,000ft. = 3.03mi @ 395'
at 200' i'm only getting about 7,000ft. = 1.33mi

I'm sure area and interference is a factor but just stating that at 395' I get much further distance, same location for testing than I did @ 200'

What altitude are you flying at trying to travel 1.4 miles?

Reason I ask is when I am out in the boondocks, nothing to fall out of the sky on and going for distance I fly at 395' altitude for best reception...
450ft at highest, 4500 ft away. VLOS impossible with hill and trees between

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato