DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries and Safety

LowCountryFlyer

Reactions
Given the amount of energy that an sUAS battery can store and the dangers associated with an accidental short and battery fire, do most people here store their batteries in a depleted state and only charge them when needed prior to a flight?

Given the amount of energy that an sUAS battery can store and the dangers associated with an accidental short and battery fire, do most people here store their batteries in a depleted state and only charge them when needed prior to a flight?

Storing your battery depleted is a great way to damage your battery. DJI recommends storing at a 50% level if don't plan to fly for a while.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
do most people here store their batteries in a depleted state and only charge them when needed prior to a flight?
Most people store their batteries at the storage level -- which is where the battery discharges down to when left unused. And it's important to charge the batteries back up to the storage level if not used for several months.

See more details about caring for your batteries in this guide:

HOW TO: Maintain and store your DJI Mavic batteries

If you are going to be storing your batteries for longer than a few weeks, make sure they are down to storage level AND in a Lipo safe bag that will not be damaged if something were to happen to the battery such as fire or fumes.

It is rare that a lipo would self combust, but it has happened, so I recommend storing them in the bag, or better, outside your home, in a place that would sustain mimimum damage in case or accident.

One final note. If I knew I wasnt going to be using a battery for more than 3 or 4 months, I would sell it. They really like to be used, and if you cant maintain it, it might be discharged flat by the time you finally want to use it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman